Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: color-blindness issues on the hyperspace map  (Read 600 times)

absimiliard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
color-blindness issues on the hyperspace map
« on: June 23, 2020, 07:41:36 AM »

So I have a minor problem, far from game-breaking but it is annoying to me.

When I'm flying in hyperspace and am traveling down a corridor or road, or river, or whatever you call them, and I tab to look at my hyperspace map it often looks like I am in the midst of a bunch of possible storm-clouds.  What this means for me is that I can't plan any routes in hyperspace that use those corridors between the clouds.  I can see them when I'm in them, and I can power through on solar shields + skills, but I can't be in the Core and look at the map and plot a route.

I asked a bit in the discord's newbie channel, as I'm totally a newb, and they say that the hyperspace uses both blues and purples.  I happen to be red/green color-blind, like a lot of men, so I can't see a difference between blues and purples.

If it would be possible, and not to much work, to change the palette used in the hyperspace map to a more color-blind-friendly one I would certainly appreciate it.  (and I wager many other color-blind men will also appreciate it)  That said, if it's more work than just adjusting some RGB values and requires actual reworking of code it's probably not worth it.

Anyhow, that's my suggestion, and first post.  Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 07:43:37 AM by absimiliard »

absimiliard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: color-blindness issues on the hyperspace map
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 08:30:31 AM »

I know it's bad form to reply to myself.  But I talked it over more with folks in the discord and I think it might not be my color-blindness, but something else.  So .... never mind?

In the example files I showed them they suggested it was a map-artifact -- like a star cleared the hyperspace or something -- and wasn't a blue/purple issue like I'd feared.  I was thinking the parts that looked like clouds that weren't there were a color I couldn't see that was distinct from another color for "real" clouds that looked the same as the first color.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 09:55:44 AM »

Hi - hmm, yeah, it seems like there's something else going on, as the map doesn't use blue/purple to signify different things. In fact iirc it's just some shade of blue for the clouds, and nothing (i.e. black) for the clear areas.

Btw, in case you're not aware: if you go into data/config/settings.json, you can change:
"colorblindMode":false,
to
"colorblindMode":true,

It's not a full-blown colorblind mode, but it will change some colors around to hopefully be easier to distinguish.

Also, welcome to the forum :)

absimiliard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 11:26:29 AM »

Btw, in case you're not aware: if you go into data/config/settings.json, you can change:
"colorblindMode":false,
to
"colorblindMode":true,

Also, welcome to the forum :)

I had no idea, thank you so much!!

That's greatly appreciated.

And thank you for the welcome.