Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list  (Read 50512 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list
« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »

Odyssey has 1x shield efficiency btw. Its much better than conquest at 1.4, but not really amazing in comparison to ships like paragon (.6).

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2020, 11:08:21 AM »

Odyssey has 1x shield efficiency btw. Its much better than conquest at 1.4, but not really amazing in comparison to ships like paragon (.6).

IMO its hard to compare the Paragon to any other vanilla ship, I mean, its just so friggin strong.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2020, 05:49:09 PM »

The paragon is uniquely powerful, but its shield efficiency is not. Most high tech ships (Paragon, astral, hyperion, omen, scarab, medusa) have .6 efficiency and the other have slightly worse (.7 for shrike and apogee, .8 for aurora, tempest, wolf). Most mid tech ships have .8 shield efficiency, and most low tech ships have 1 shield efficiency, so the odyssey is more in line with low tech shields than hight tech. The odyssey actually has less shield tanking capability than an onslaught (same efficiency with less capacity).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »

Odyssey used to have 0.8 shield efficiency, but it was raised to 1 when it got Plasma Burn.  It really needs Hardened Shields.  Without them, its shields are too frail (since its flux stats are not so great).

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2020, 07:41:21 PM »

Most high tech ships (Paragon, astral, hyperion, omen, scarab, medusa) have .6 efficiency

BTW not all players are aware HOW strong that value can be. With DS skill, HS and 100% CR, 0.6 rating became ~0.32. If you are not friendly with math, I'll explain: 0.32 shield efficiency means that even if you attack it with 0.8 flux per damage kinetic weapon (needlers), shield would produce less flux, than weaponry of the attacker. So, those "lightning alpha strikes" are pointless if not really huge amount of flux-free sabots. The only effective way to fight that shield with no sabots - long continuous shelling, when attacker able to vent his soft flux over time, while target unable to vent it's hard flux. But that also mean attacker should have both better mobility and longer range, because, you know, target also would tend to shot attacker and usually have better vents than attacker.

And if it's not just any 0.32 shield, but player-controlled Paragon... Oh boy... It should be nerfed, probably.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2020, 08:27:31 PM »

If you are firing weapons under dissipation, you are actually building zero flux in your own ship, so you can still overcome very good shield efficiency with good weapon management, but yes, .32 damage multiplier is very strong. Part of it is also that damage reduction skills in general are super strong and they can be used on any ship. High tech ships also do have bad weapons to compensate. I think the paragon costing 33-50% more DP than other capital ships mostly justifies its power.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]