Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list  (Read 50516 times)

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2020, 05:47:50 PM »

What ship do you think has the most longevity in your fleet? As in, if you picked it up early game, you might still reasonably use it late game?

I gotta go with the Sunder on this one too.  A HIL+2 grav beam layout with range makes them hard to pin down and a constant threat to anything that DARES to flicker its shields.  Packs of them look like bigger Wolf frigates and they play the part.  The AI can't possibly screw up the ship system since it recharges.  They're simple and focused and rewarding to fly yourself, especially if you get a good flank.  Ludd help the poor enemy ship who overloads because no one is safe from ITU+optics.  There's a visceral satisfaction in watching the smooth and continuous erasure of that hull bar set to the sound of a non-stop explosion...

OmegaMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »

What hulls are the first two?   

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »

In OP?

That would be a Tempest and an Omen. Both are high-tech rare frigates. They are really good at their roles.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2020, 01:08:26 AM »

They aren't rare. Any given independent, League or Tri-Tachyon colony is likely to have one of them, or both, or multiple of both...

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 12, 2020, 01:27:21 AM »

Relatively rare. Other frigates, like wolf or lasher, far more common.

However, it is true that it is possible to find them almost everywhere.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2020, 03:31:40 AM »

I just finished my second playthrough with nexerelin and other vanilla-friendly mods.
And I realized that once you get Astral, you just can't play without it. You will even repair d-modded one just to get it shape.
I think, if it even superior with mods, without them it just unstoppable.

wei270

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2020, 02:34:41 AM »

if the ranking is base on ai ship then it is ok............................

but the biggest problem for me is well first hammer head vs sunder, i dont think they should be 2 tier apart and very close being on the same tier, when ranking hammer head you should give them some point for being highly replaceable while a good sunder is harder to replace, that being tritecyon lance is harder to come by.

doom should be A tier even when plot by AI, if you give them the right officer they are definlty S tier.
Scab should be much higher, these things are scary.
while it is ok that you rate conquer and pirate capital rank F but the other capital fire power deserve to be higher, i see that you rely on fighter and bomber as your main dps but they may not work in a heavy anit fighter comp. while fire power from paragon and less so dominator and onslaught is very consistant.
 also onslaught can actually just act as hull tanking where he is tanking with hull if you build armor and hull with it. that should put it higher on the tier list. hull tanking can work now because hull retain 5% armor value, and all the large value damage weapons are right damage type for hull damage. combine that with the officer skill of 25% hull damage reduction and or hegemony mod make some interesting tactics.

Zeeheld

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2020, 05:08:12 PM »

This thread is a remarkable example of a clear shitpost leading to interesting, if not very fruitful discussion.
On the one hand, it is enlightening to see people defend exotic ships such as the Centurion which I've never even given a second glance. On the other hand, most of the discussion seems to be doomed to be fruitless because tier-lists are inherently useless beyond gauging what is readily apparent.

Obviously, Tempests, Omens and Falcon (P)s are bound to end up in S-tier as they are proven (by Cums, Thaago and Vayra, respectively), to just wreck face when employed correctly. Or the Astral, which is such a no-brainer to get it's actually a challenge in itself to go without it.
And of course everybody hates the Buffalo Mk. II as it is just a hunk of junk.

Most ships, apart from the most obvious ones, can, however be suprisingly effective or disappointing. Sometimes both things at once. Case in point: the Aurora.
I have had my heart broken by it several times when going against [REDACTED] fleets and noticing, much to my suprise, that my reliable flanking ship just got deleted too fast for me to even register the comms chatter to do anything about it.
Similarly, the Odyssey which can at times roll up an entire flank by itself, but boy, if it gets caught by a tanky capital, it's not gonna be pretty.
Other ships might not suprise you, such as the Wolf. It's a frigate, alright. It'll probably die. That's what you expect.
It comes down to personal preference, most of the time and finding a juicy combination of ships to make them really shine.
I, for one, don't like to use frigates that much in encounter battles much because they are just too squishy and their ppt is too short.
But give me some SO Hounds for chowing down on the fleeing remnants of the fleet I just defeated any day of the week.
Destroyers as a whole don't really cut it for me in the later game, as they cannot slug it out effectively enough when compared to cruisers.
But that is just my preference.
And that's the richness of this game, that you can make basically anything work, at least for a time and under the right circumstances, like the Venture.

All of this discussion is kind of spoiled for me, however, as there are so many great and vanilla-friendly mods that I cannot even remember when I went full vanilla the last time.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 05:12:44 PM by Zeeheld »
Cool story, bro.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »

MRM-heavy Buffalo MkII fleets delete pirates while simultaneously attracting them with high sig and low DP cost.

If you're grinding system bounties for early credits and faction standing, they're amazing value when massed. Highly recommend trying them out. Just make sure to trigger all missiles on a tactical laser or other "rangefinder" weapon.

Edit: they're also Destroyers, so once you have a bunch of hullmods and the +10% OP skill you can field fighter screens.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:49:26 AM by Null Ganymede »

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2020, 10:22:39 AM »

MRM-heavy Buffalo MkII fleets delete pirates while simultaneously attracting them with high sig and low DP cost.

If you're grinding system bounties for early credits and faction standing, they're amazing value when massed. Highly recommend trying them out. Just make sure to trigger all missiles on a tactical laser or other "rangefinder" weapon.

Edit: they're also Destroyers, so once you have a bunch of hullmods and the +10% OP skill you can field fighter screens.

They aren't common enough to have on mass and if you can produce them then you have better/less fragile options.

It's a meme ship at this point, I don't know why people try to pretend its more. The weapons on a Buffalo Mk II are more expensive then the ship.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2020, 10:39:21 AM »

I'm using a pair of BMIIs in my current "bad ships" playthrough, and they pull their weight shockingly well. Forward shields, talons, and harpoons. There's no reason to mass them to be honest, they just provide a lot of firepower for their DP cost... all in a highly combustible package that has more required crew than actual crew capacity. Sure they will probably catch a stray round and explode at some point, but in the meantime they carry a boatload of missiles.

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »

It is a good fodder ship, like Hounds/Cerberus with SO which I'd prefer. I wouldn't turn one down if I was hurting for fleet power.

Vocation

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2020, 10:08:35 PM »

The best fleets are carrier fleets. Just spam fighters and bombers that have 5000 range and are undodgeable. They will shred any fleets without full radius shields. The AI also freaks out and tries to attack fighters if they do not have fighter superiority which means you'll win most engagements if you can secure the void space. Then you slam on long range missiles on your carriers with missile racks and delete whole fleets.

Fighter spam is the easiest thing to farm AI cores - they can't teleport away from long range fighter swarms to vent. Its the same for attacking bases. You just park outside the range of stations and send in fighter squadrons to delete it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:11:56 PM by Vocation »

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2020, 07:35:17 AM »

The best fleets are carrier fleets. Just spam fighters and bombers that have 5000 range and are undodgeable. They will shred any fleets without full radius shields. The AI also freaks out and tries to attack fighters if they do not have fighter superiority which means you'll win most engagements if you can secure the void space. Then you slam on long range missiles on your carriers with missile racks and delete whole fleets.

Fighter spam is the easiest thing to farm AI cores - they can't teleport away from long range fighter swarms to vent. Its the same for attacking bases. You just park outside the range of stations and send in fighter squadrons to delete it.
True, but i'm also using a single protective ship in front of my carriers to scare foes

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2020, 01:47:36 PM »

i saw centurion listed as D-tier & immediately had an anxiety-attack  :'(
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9