Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list  (Read 50533 times)

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: My personal vanilla Starsector ships Tier-list
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2020, 03:09:56 AM »

Depending on what I have access to, and the role of the fleet, there are few ships that I would consider to be unusable. Some are kinda bad, or less good. But I'm not much of a meta guy.

If anything the best ship in the game is a fuel tanker, as it's hard to do anything without one.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2020, 03:22:40 AM »

poor Mule is at F tier. I'd say it's the best hybrid ship we have
A fair point. Because Mule is good. (imo)
One of the best ship options in the early game. Can fill 5 roles simultaneously. (Freighter, surveyor, light skirmisher, missile platform, aux carrier.)
Not as capable as Venture on paper, but arguably a better choice as thier greater speed + mobility system makes them much more survivable.

More love for the base_bp ships!

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 03:31:03 AM »

I don't post often, but this is offensively bad that i had to.  ;D

No.

You are wrong.

S tier is missing HH. SO HH with reckless officer and sparks is the most consistent ship in the game for just 10DP. Only rivaled by falconP that's even not on the list (look here for falconP builds https://youtu.be/Xjgv1EqMWnY?t=926). Also doom is probably the best economy ship for player to pilot, since it kills more and faster than paragon saves you supply and real life time. Although not as good against remnants and stations.

Tempest S tier? How?

Thanks for reminder of a Falcon (P) I rarely see it, but will try next time a couple of it. Interesting build with hammerhead, a use of it large OP amount. I like to play with reckless officers too, btw. Tempest is  my favorite due to a high speed and harass capabilities.
Conquest is F tier while Scarab is somehow C tier, yeah ok I've seen enough.
Conquest just must be player-driven
Unlike Aurora and Shrike (and Afflictor too) which are fantastic AI ships /s

I didn't want to be rude but thankfully MrDaddyPants said what I had in mind, this whole list is just comical. The ships are good enough only if you put the right weapons on them. I can immediately tell from your list that you played with ''wrong'' builds on some ships or just gave AI something wacky. Obviously you said it's a personal list so it's not fair to say it's wrong, but it hurts to see it honestly. I'd suggest you experiment a bit more with some different builds this time.

Also where's the Prometheus Mk II?

You guys are defending Venture which is basically a missile meat bag (and also eats missiles from enemy ships) while the poor Mule is at F tier. I'd say it's the best hybrid ship we have, unless I'm forgetting something.
Even now i do think shrike with a cost of 8 DP is maximum you can get for a gunship, need officers ofc, but anyway.
I do not think Prometheus Mk II is fun to play.
Also I build Aurora into a gunship too with a speed and deadly strikes, that's how I play most ships.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2020, 03:43:54 AM »

What the hell is a gunship? First I thought you meant small ships that don't have much except one or two guns useful only for harassment, but then you called Aurora a gunship so I have no clue. If it just means ''it has non missile weaponry'' then almost everything is a gunship lol.

But I am really curious on that F tier Conquest, can you please post your build here? I'm betting on a thousand credits it's gonna be a symmetric build.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Burvjradzite

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2020, 04:05:57 AM »

What the hell is a gunship? First I thought you meant small ships that don't have much except one or two guns useful only for harassment, but then you called Aurora a gunship so I have no clue. If it just means ''it has non missile weaponry'' then almost everything is a gunship lol.

But I am really curious on that F tier Conquest, can you please post your build here? I'm betting on a thousand credits it's gonna be a symmetric build.
I understand gunship as a mobile front-oriented ship for harassment (not suppression and also not alpha-strike), with a good shields (0.8 or less) for a flux trading. Weaponry for such gunships are pulse and ir pulse lasers. Also hardened shields and shield conversation is almost a must since such ships are trading non-stop.

EnragedOxygen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2020, 05:05:07 AM »

Im deeply offended by this list. The god damn Dominator Cruiser is rated lower than whatever that trash above is. Dominator can obliterate anything except for phase/Paragon/[REDACTED]Capital in a 1v1 battle, and a god damn hammerhead that can be D-moded by a harsh look is better?

I do get where you're coming from, Dominator is dreadfully awfull whithout safety overrides, but with them and double chainguns, best god damn ship in this game. Ai cannot kite you with your amazing burn drives, and when surrounded the very same drives allow you to disengage easily. You shouldnt pilot Dominator like some dumb frontline anchor, its an opportunistic flanker and finisher, and a damn good one at that.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 05:21:59 AM »

I never thought I'd be hearing the words Dominator and flanker together, but if it works, more power to you. And yeah if you take a look at what each tier should represent normally, it really can't be so low in D tier. But then you see a Paragon there and you get so confused you can't even argue with anything. To top it all off, both of them are in the same tier as the bloody Gremlin. I just noticed that now, what in the blazes...

MrDaddyPants

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 05:23:57 AM »

I don't post often, but this is offensively bad that i had to.  ;D

No.

You are wrong.

S tier is missing HH. SO HH with reckless officer and sparks is the most consistent ship in the game for just 10DP. Only rivaled by falconP that's even not on the list (look here for falconP builds https://youtu.be/Xjgv1EqMWnY?t=926). Also doom is probably the best economy ship for player to pilot, since it kills more and faster than paragon saves you supply and real life time. Although not as good against remnants and stations.

Tempest S tier? How?

Thanks for reminder of a Falcon (P) I rarely see it, but will try next time a couple of it. Interesting build with hammerhead, a use of it large OP amount. I like to play with reckless officers too, btw. Tempest is  my favorite due to a high speed and harass capabilities.

While i may not agree on most of placements, having falconP and HH in S tier. And S tier is all that matters anyway. Your list is now officially DaddyPants approved  ;D.

Koyocire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2020, 05:57:39 AM »

Hehe, I used to pay attention to tier lists.  Then I tried the vanilla Legion, a ship almost universally viewed as meh.  With it I was able to shred anything (sans any red skills mind you) including Alpha cored Radiants.  Me thinks these tier lists might be HIGHLY subjective.  Anyway, I see you are rating ships with converted shuttle bays/sparks fairly highly...might I suggest the Valkyrie.  With a recovery cost of 3, it is by far the cheapest way to get sparks on the field.

MrDaddyPants

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2020, 06:38:38 AM »

Hehe, I used to pay attention to tier lists.  Then I tried the vanilla Legion, a ship almost universally viewed as meh.  With it I was able to shred anything (sans any red skills mind you) including Alpha cored Radiants.  Me thinks these tier lists might be HIGHLY subjective.  Anyway, I see you are rating ships with converted shuttle bays/sparks fairly highly...might I suggest the Valkyrie.  With a recovery cost of 3, it is by far the cheapest way to get sparks on the field.

Valkyre is sucker compared to what BuffaloII brings for 1DP/supply recovery point. However the list is supposed to be for campaign. You will not run 30 valkyres or BuffalosII... FalconP and HH are easy to get. And they are more economical since you bring however many you need to match opposition can have some D-mods and be just fine. 4 HH will do much more work than 1 legion for it's DP cost.

Dandlion68

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2020, 06:42:45 AM »

"Your Dumbâ„¢ Battleship can't stand my legion of my Dagger-carrying Drovers, don't even try."
All my ships are (as far as i know) either 'kitbashed' (heh) from vanilla ships, or hand-drawn by myself. They are free to use as long as you tell me which mod it's in so i can download them myself.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 06:45:25 AM »

Tier lists are highly subjective but as more people make them, you start seeing trends and patterns. That's the data you use for balancing.

For example, the Drover is almost universally cited as S-tier and the best pound-for-pound Carrier in the game. Hammerheads are about in the same boat when it comes to line Destroyers. Tempests are among the best Frigates, Afflictors are among the best Phase Ships, Aurora's are great in the player's hands but sorta meh otherwise, etc. etc. When these kind of observations come up and time and time again, it's a good baseline as to where things actually are. Skills/officers also skew things and some ships, with a bump from Loadout Design 3 (or whatever) can really come into their own.

From the perspective of balance, you should see a bell-curve with a few outliers on the extremes but the bulk of options somewhere in the middle. There *should* be a lot of C-tier ships: good-but-not-great options that fill a particular role or excel in a few circumstances. Personally, I think the curve is skewed to the right with the majority of ships in the C and B categories.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2020, 06:55:55 AM »

@Foof

What you said makes sense but keep in mind that not every tier list is the same. Most don't even have an E tier that's present here. And then there's the maker's understanding of each tier.

For example you say C tier ships are ''good but not great'' while I think that describes the B tier. In my mind C tier ships are either niche or something that doesn't have too many flaws but they become obsolete once you find something better.

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2020, 07:47:31 AM »

I have seen so many people consistently trash the Scarab, but for me, it is one of my most consistent performers, especially in AI hands (balanced pilot). I place heavy priority in getting my hands on a few Scarabs as quickly as possible. They usually carry my fleet into the late game.

My build is ultra-simple: 5 front-facing IR Pulse Lasers with 4 hullmods - Hardened Shields, Front Conversion, Flux Coil Adjunct, Flux Distributor and then max capacitors and as many vents as I can fit.

One Scarab configured this way can *flawlessly* solo almost any Frigate or Destroyer. Some cruisers. Two can take down almost any cruiser without taking damage.

And because the only items you have to procure are the ultra-common IR Pulse Lasers, once you get your hands on the Scarab, you're good to go.

I acknowledge that there are far more experienced people on this forum, but for the life of me I cannot understand why the Scarab is trashed so heavily.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2020, 08:07:54 AM »

Because even with SO you can't fire 5 IR Pulse Lasers for long, and even with that much ''firepower'' you're basically just tickling the armor of anything that's not a frigate or a Sunder. 8 OP is a lot for a frigate. For the same price and same burn you could get a Shrike, which is miles better, and it's not even that good of a ship, so that tells you enough.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9