Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.52a (Released) - Patch Notes  (Read 316963 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.52a (In Development) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2012, 08:14:40 PM »

most of my fleets end up with compositions simular to this one

also blitzkrieg..
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Baro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »

I usually feel like the maps are too BIG.  It takes so long to get my flagship anywhere, I end up spending the first few min of a battle just slowly moving to where the battle is.  
I find the AI isn't so good with capital ships so my fleets are usually me in that lovely tri-tachion carrier/battleship and a huge swarm of thunder multi-role fighters and wasp swarms.

If we're listing gripes I'd say the huge amount of ships in the game vs the tiny amount available for sale.  I see many interesting ships in enemy fleets but there's no way to get them other than being extremely lucky and capturing one.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »

Completely random statistics time - The USS Iowa, (everyones favorite giant battleship), allegedly has a faster speed than an arbitrarily picked postwar destroyer

(speeds of 61kph v 60kph, so its marginally different, despite the Iowa having over TEN TIMES the displacement (45k tons on the Iowa, 4k on the Forrest Sherman)

Not really sure why spaceships are as limited as they are - Certainly, absolutely terrible acceleration, but having max speeds of 40ish compared to a frigate's 150.. Then again, its probably because for some reason everyone builds ships with all the gigantic guns locked facing forwards, and they dont want to crash. But thats a completely different design philosophy to argue

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2012, 09:10:16 PM »

@arwan - thank you for posting that. I'd say the fact that your fights end up at the enemy spawn is mostly due to your fighters, and how OP they are at the moment. Map size wouldn't matter much there - your fighters will sweep up the map quickly in any case, it'd just take slower ships a bit longer to get there, but ultimately not change much.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

Not really sure why spaceships are as limited as they are - Certainly, absolutely terrible acceleration, but having max speeds of 40ish compared to a frigate's 150.. Then again, its probably because for some reason everyone builds ships with all the gigantic guns locked facing forwards, and they dont want to crash. But thats a completely different design philosophy to argue

Big space ships are slow because it's a game. It wouldn't take long to get a capital ship up to speed and crash into the enemy's initial fleet, guns blazing. As cool as that might be, still, balance.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2012, 10:04:45 PM »

Well.. Yeah. If collisions dealt tons of damage to both parties, its fun for everyone!

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:19 PM »

Big space ships are slow because it's a game. It wouldn't take long to get a capital ship up to speed and crash into the enemy's initial fleet, guns blazing. As cool as that might be, still, balance.

Maybe cap ships top speed could be increased lowering their overall acceleration? Gotta try this on my copy.

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »

That's would be comparable to how movement in space actually works, only instead of low acceleration and high top speed, it would low acceleration INFINITE top speed. However, that would be kind of annoying to deal with.

one thing that could work is have the engine boost you get with lowered shields and no weapon fire scale based on the size of the ship. The larger the ship, the more boost they get. They still shouldn't be as fast as frigates for gameplay reasons, but it can be enough to make moving large distances a bit less painful. This would make a lot of sense, because capital ships require a lot more power for combat systems, but when those systems aren't in use, they can throw that power at the engines. (this could also allow fleet's to move faster)

btw, does the boost to speed also effect turn rate? if it does not, then it should.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »

btw, does the boost to speed also effect turn rate? if it does not, then it should.

Seconded! I'm actually quite happy with the speed of capital ships with the no flux speed boost - it feels right. Turning around to get from one engagement to another often takes 3-4 times longer than actually reaching the engagement however... which is strange :P

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »

one thing that could work is have the engine boost you get with lowered shields and no weapon fire scale based on the size of the ship. The larger the ship, the more boost they get. They still shouldn't be as fast as frigates for gameplay reasons, but it can be enough to make moving large distances a bit less painful. This would make a lot of sense, because capital ships require a lot more power for combat systems, but when those systems aren't in use, they can throw that power at the engines. (this could also allow fleet's to move faster)

Whoa. I like this!

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:26 AM »

I see no reason that turn speeds cant be theoretically infinite, with the limiting factor being acceleration still ;)

Except for that minor bug where ships turning doesnt interact properly with weapon turn rates

mineplanet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 12, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

hey alex how many people are in you dev team makeing this game??? and when do you think the next version will be out??? and i would like to know whare you are makeing this game like USA or CANADA?

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2012, 12:55:27 AM »

I usually feel like the maps are too BIG.  It takes so long to get my flagship anywhere, I end up spending the first few min of a battle just slowly moving to where the battle is. 
I find the AI isn't so good with capital ships so my fleets are usually me in that lovely tri-tachion carrier/battleship and a huge swarm of thunder multi-role fighters and wasp swarms.

I usually transfer command to a lighter craft while my cruiser/capital flagship moves into combat. This way i get some extra fun before my real toys start tearing everything apart.

And i usually take control of the capital ship`s missile or secondary weapons leaving main guns and pd for my experienced crew gunners. AI makes more hits than i do and he can track several targets with the weapons from the same group.

mineplanet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2012, 01:55:34 AM »

Alex i think your a great game maker and just get more coders and you can make a lot of great games

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 12, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »

Why is it that, no matter what space game is being talked about, somebody always comes up with the "but I shouldn't have a top speed" thing? My answer to that is always the same...just go and play Frontier: Elite 2, or its sequel Frontier: First Encounters, sometime. Completely realistic physics in those games, and the result? Combat that sucked harder than a really sucky thing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45