Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I named a new colony "null" thinking I was funny, now it crashes the game.  (Read 860 times)

naming idiot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Clicking on the planet, and in command, instantly closes the game with message Fatal:null
I can only assume it's because my dumb ass named my colony null. I can't seem to find my colonies in the files to change its name, please help!
The log says:
53600 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.getFullName(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.CoreCampaignPluginImpl.updateEntityFacts(CoreCampaignPluginImpl.java:203)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.getMemory(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.updateFlavorText(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.o0OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.setSize(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.o00o.sizeChanged(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.for.setSize(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.setSize(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.O0oO$5.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.O0oO.setCurrentTab(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.map.super.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.coreui.map.U.processInputImpl(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.o00OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.O0Oo.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi! Is this running with any mods? Just naming the colony "null" shouldn't cause a problem - and, just checked, doesn't appear to.

Did you happen to colonize a star or black hole, btw? Being able to do that is a bug and it can cause... problems.

Edit: to find the colony in the savefile, I'd try searching for "null" - with quotes. I don't *think* offhand that there would be many other instances of that in the file.

naming idiot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Sorry- I forgot to include that I had installed [0.9.1a] Terraforming and Station Construction (v5.2.1) prior to colonizing that planet. Is this https://imgur.com/a/E4cUqqK the savefile you mean? It has these weird xml files with no mentions of "null" inside of them. I couldn't get insert image to work sorry :/

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, the file I mean is campaign.xml in that folder.

Actually, hmm, setting the name does cause this problem - you just have to save and then load the game, it won't crash unless you do that. Thank you for the report!

naming idiot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I replace the name, but no dice :( I'm going to have to scrap my playthrough, thanks for trying to help!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm - it might be in more than one place; I think the save is probably salvageable, depending on how much you want to check into it.

naming idiot

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I found two, the other colony has 3 but all the remaining nulls are clearly for something else in clusters like this:
</VarRes>
<null></null>
<null></null>
<null></null>
</variants>
Something probably got mixed up that I can't fix.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, as you surmised, those are not related.

Ah, apologies :(