Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: why is my game an utter slideshow?  (Read 1211 times)

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
why is my game an utter slideshow?
« on: June 09, 2020, 05:28:53 AM »

my game is lagging out and started lagging out after i took on some remnant and won. Right after the debris field spawned come to think of it. The ui is MUCH MUCH slower. the framerate only outside of battle is affected by this as i was getting 20 fps at the most in battles anyways. But this is sub 10 fps, outside of battle and it wasnt doing this before

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: why is my game an utter slideshow?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »

okay, restarting the game seems to have fixed that for now and revisiting the system that the glitch occurred in did not recreate it. So sadly i cant tell people what exactly happened but i can say it fixed itself and that you too can probably fix this by restarting the game (save first)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 09:02:20 AM »

Yeah, newly created debris fields really seem to eat FPS until the game is restarted. This is a point that needs fixing, whatever it is.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »

I've been trying to figure out what causes that issue for a few weeks. It seems to be something that randomly occurs after large battles for some people. I assume it's caused by a mod, but so far I haven't managed to narrow it down much. Would you mind sharing your enabled_mods.json file (found in the mods folder)?

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 10:44:17 AM »

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day; I took out two giant pirate fleets in back-to-back battles, and my FPS fell off a cliff when the debris fields spawned. It persisted into hyperspace even flying for 3 weeks across the sector. Saving and reloading and restarting the game all failed to help. Not sure if that was the same issue, but my mods list is below.

Spoiler
{"enabledMods": [
  "$$$_lightshow",
  "$$$_trailermoments",
  "Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-",
  "raccoonarms",
  "chaladin",
  "chatter",
  "lw_console",
  "DisassembleReassemble",
  "interestingportraitspack",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "luddenhance",
  "MagicLib",
  "missingships",
  "nexerelin",
  "portrait",
  "swp",
  "bonomel_skilledup",
  "speedUp",
  "StopGapMeasures",
  "sd_sundiving_1.1",
  "TORCHSHIPS",
  "transfer_all_items",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "vayrasector",
  "vayrashippack",
  "lw_version_checker",
  "vesperon",
  "toggleWeapons",
  "audio_plus",
  "shaderLib"
]}
Also, I don't recall 100%, but I think at the time I had Second Wave turned on.
[close]

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:59 PM »

This happens to me sometimes after huge battles.  I have a monster list of mods so it's hard to tell what might be causing it.  I attached Visual VM to the process and looked at the stacks and I *think* there might be some thrashing going on with the economy notification events, where they just trigger back and for back and forth until the debris field despawns.  It's hard to tell with certainty given all the obfuscated code and mods that i don't have the source for. 

But if I had to start looking it would be for events that get triggered on debris spawn or fleet despawn and what do those events trigger.  And also like the OP observed this behavior is transient, it doesn't persist if you save and load. 

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »

I had a similar thing happen to me the other day; I took out two giant pirate fleets in back-to-back battles, and my FPS fell off a cliff when the debris fields spawned. It persisted into hyperspace even flying for 3 weeks across the sector. Saving and reloading and restarting the game all failed to help. Not sure if that was the same issue, but my mods list is below.

Spoiler
{"enabledMods": [
  "$$$_lightshow",
  "$$$_trailermoments",
  "Another Portrait Pack -ReWork-",
  "raccoonarms",
  "chaladin",
  "chatter",
  "lw_console",
  "DisassembleReassemble",
  "interestingportraitspack",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "luddenhance",
  "MagicLib",
  "missingships",
  "nexerelin",
  "portrait",
  "swp",
  "bonomel_skilledup",
  "speedUp",
  "StopGapMeasures",
  "sd_sundiving_1.1",
  "TORCHSHIPS",
  "transfer_all_items",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "vayrasector",
  "vayrashippack",
  "lw_version_checker",
  "vesperon",
  "toggleWeapons",
  "audio_plus",
  "shaderLib"
]}
Also, I don't recall 100%, but I think at the time I had Second Wave turned on.
[close]
yes ill fetch that file

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »

here yall go.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 05:56:33 AM »

Thanks all! Hopefully I'll be able to figure something out soon.

@bolamorph: Yours is the first mod list I've received list that hasn't been huge, so it helps me narrow it down quite a bit  :)

@Nick XR: Yeah, I'll look for pretty much everything that's called after battle. The transience is the most distinguishing aspect of this issue imo, so that's been one of the key criteria I use to decide whether or not it's the same thing. I took a look at someone's heap dumps before and after the slowdown started occurring, and noticed that memory was bloated with almost five times as many instances of FleetMember and FleetData, which is strange because I would suspect that those things would persist through a save/load.

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2020, 10:38:10 PM »

Thanks all! Hopefully I'll be able to figure something out soon.

@bolamorph: Yours is the first mod list I've received list that hasn't been huge, so it helps me narrow it down quite a bit  :)

@Nick XR: Yeah, I'll look for pretty much everything that's called after battle. The transience is the most distinguishing aspect of this issue imo, so that's been one of the key criteria I use to decide whether or not it's the same thing. I took a look at someone's heap dumps before and after the slowdown started occurring, and noticed that memory was bloated with almost five times as many instances of FleetMember and FleetData, which is strange because I would suspect that those things would persist through a save/load.

maybe you can help me with something. Now the game crashes upon launch. Know what mod does this?

ebolamorph

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 10:41:20 PM »

okay, seems scy nation and nexelrein with freeport prism enabled causes issues