Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Save game trouble, take too long and errors  (Read 1507 times)

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Save game trouble, take too long and errors
« on: June 03, 2020, 09:47:55 PM »

So in my current game saves have become unwieldy, taking a very long time and often failing, with errors indicating a memory issue, like GC overhead limit exceeded. My last successful save was 60mb (no backup).

Whenever I ctl-backspace it shows memory used is only 14-21% of the 8-12 gb  I have it set to in vprams (I have 32 gb physical). I have 8gb VRAM and an m.2 ssd. I have no issues starting the game or loading saves, no fps or performance issues while playing, and I've got the battle size cranked up to 1,000 with no issues.

My most recent log file has the following repeated over and over again, almost 600,000 lines of just data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod repeating and the log file is 50mb itself:

5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - Officer's skill list.
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - ordnance_expert
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - strike_commander
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - End of list.
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - Officer's skill list.
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - ordnance_expert
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - defensive_systems
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - missile_specialization
5218459 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.OfficerLevelupPluginImplMod  - End of list.

Mods:
"enabledMods": [
  "$$$_lightshow",
  "Adjusted Sector",
  "timid_admins",
  "blackrock_driveyards",
  "chatter",
  "lw_radar",
  "lw_console",
  "istl_dam",
  "diableavionics",
  "gates_awakened",
  "Imperium",
  "kadur_remnant",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "logisticsNotifications",
  "luddenhance",
  "MagicLib",
  "More Officer Skills",
  "nexerelin",
  "ORA",
  "portrait",
  "roider",
  "SCY",
  "shadow_ships",
  "bonomel_skilledup",
  "speedUp",
  "StopGapMeasures",
  "THI",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "vayrasector",
  "vayrashippack",
  "toggleWeapons",
  "audio_plus",
  "shaderLib",
  "prv"

Timid

• Admiral
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Save game trouble, take too long and errors
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 11:45:17 PM »

Mods:
"enabledMods": [
  "More Officer Skills",
Yes.

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 05:50:32 AM »

So from your reply I guess the more officer skills mod is the source of my problem. Thanks.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:19:16 PM »

While the More Officer Skills mod is very spammy in the log - I suspect it's logging any time a level gets applied to any officer anywhere including in generated AI fleets - I doubt it's actually the cause of your issues.  And I believe Starsector uses a rolling log file setup, so log files at about 50MB should be expected - that's not a log for one run of the game, necessarily.

I'd suggest, instead, opening up the save xml file and seeing what you can find in there.  This sounds much more like some mod accidentally saving a copy of the current game state to permanent data, which would compound each time you save and then reload the game.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Pokpaul

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 10:50:24 PM »

OK, my save xml has 1.8 million lines in it. I'm looking at it, not really seeing anything that jumps out at me, but I'm not an alpha core so is there a particular needle I should be looking for in this hasystack?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »

Unfortunately, the answer is "probably, but I don't know what."  Even a relatively normal save file is likely to be over 400,000 lines...

...Actually, come to think of it, there is one way to easily see at least if my diagnosis is correct.

Start a new game (to minimize the amount of stuff in the save file).  Let the initial setup stuff finish, pause, save.

Load up that save, don't unpause, hit 'save a copy', load up that save, and maybe repeat this a few times to make sure you can see any trends in save file size.  Possibly shut the game down entirely inbetween saving and loading the save - I know that can have an impact on some stuff if someone's got a buggy mod.
Since the game's paused, it shouldn't be generating any new data or increasing the size of the save files.  If it is, then you can compare one of the larger save files with one of the smaller save files and see where the differences are.  (There are programs that will let you do a nice visual comparison.  Or if you're on linux you can use diff.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:57:27 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.