Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What the game could learn from FlashTrek  (Read 2286 times)

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: What the game could learn from FlashTrek
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 07:21:05 AM »

Yeah you don't have to :)
I wrote the OP to encourage the Devs to incorporate some of it's best ideas and solutions.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 02:45:05 PM »

1, 4, 5, 6. Alex said that he doesn't want NPC colonisation to happen, unless the player has a hand in that. I can agree with that, mainly because it's more likely to act to player's detriment than benefit in most cases (snatching a planet player wanted for himself), when it is noticed at all, that is. Colonies aren't really the focus of the game, so if NPC activity in the background can be summed up to "nothing important", just reduce it to nothing. Presumably, in the story mode, the player won't have the time to muck around conquering the sector.
I wouldn't mind seeing factions that pop up after the game start, but I have no idea if Alex has a place for them.
It's difficult to remember what wording was he using to refuse suggestions of NPCs expanding, in order to search for quotes...
3. In similar fashion to point 1, killing NPC factions doesn't seem like the focus, either.
7. Could be an additional incentive to survey planets. Currently I don't touch any that don't have ruins or aren't habitable.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »

I don't really know what his vision for the game is.
However, it's really annoying to see that all other factions besides the player are just sitting ducks waiting to be done for.
Currently, you don't really have to do that much to exterminate everyone after a few years of empire-building.
My theory is that if you wait long enough the core words would collapse under the pirates with or without you.
This complete lack of competence on their side is very very annoying.
I'm not for a new Stellaris. I just want to see a game where you don't feel like a god capable of exterminating everyone after a few years.

"I wouldn't mind seeing factions that pop up after the game start, but I have no idea if Alex has a place for them."
Basically this addition alone would make the game more immersive.

If you think that expanding factions are a bad idea bcs they are more or less just an annoyance at best well maybe for your game style you are right.
But one of the strongest points of this game is that you can choose your game style.
For a scavenger style gameplay factions expanding means nothing at all.
But if you want to "Determine the fate of the Sector by your actions" (which is an upcoming feature of the game according to Alex himself) than it sounds really dumb that everyone just waits for you to determine their future, especially since the official timeline is full of factions rising and falling (and expanding by the way).

And factions basically just looking and acting like factions (you know the stuff that powers generally doing in the real world) would make the game better.
One of those things is expanding. But at least please make them competent and look like having some kind of self-preservation instinct.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 07:57:13 AM »

I don't really know what his vision for the game is.
See my first post here on this thread. But I'm sure he'll come here to personally elaborate a bit more than I have said.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »

Currently, you don't really have to do that much to exterminate everyone after a few years of empire-building.
My theory is that if you wait long enough the core words would collapse under the pirates with or without you.
This is my biggest gripe with the current release, mainly because pirates are always attacking, and I do not have much time to do what I want before I drop everything and hunt pirates or grind rep for factions because I keep losing it whenever my patrols defend my colonies.

All of the lore is a joke and cannot be taken seriously because all I see is zombie pirates devouring everything in core if I do not intervene.

I would like the see factions reclaim or slowly rebuild core worlds they lose, unless the player takes steps to totally eradicate the factions.

I also like to see Remnants be more than loot pinatas.

I also like to see pirates and pathers less immortal.

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »

A lot of the mechanics that OP describes are in Nexerelin and Vayra's (faction colonising, conquering, new factions arising...), but there is a fair point that quite a few people want at least some of those mechanics to move into the main game.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 11:04:11 AM »

There are also people that don't want such mechanics in the game.
In the case of major factions just getting slapped around by pirates, then that's partly an acknowledged issue (of there not being any endgame at all) and (in my opinion) design issues that prevent mechanics from working as they seem to be in lore (mostly a major disconnect between a faction overall and its military). And I'm disappointed by the fact that there's no reason to siege any system, too, but I see it as something akin to campaign before hyperspace: fuel was vendor trash, because with no hyperspace, fuel is of no use.
It's how I view current issues with progression, really. It's incomplete. The most common hypothesis is that Alex's plan is to oppose the player with another dynamic, expanding antagonistic force. We might not have the time to colonise the entire sector or decide who does it. It would arguably not fit with the lore, but lore and theming has been all over the place as of late...

I also just realised that saying "Alex said X" without quoting him sounds unfortunately dogmatic. Considering there's no response from him in this thread, either he doesn't think there needs to be one, or, more realistically, he's busy and this subforum is low on his priority list.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 11:26:00 AM »

I also just realised that saying "Alex said X" without quoting him sounds unfortunately dogmatic. Considering there's no response from him in this thread, either he doesn't think there needs to be one, or, more realistically, he's busy and this subforum is low on his priority list.
You're absolutely right. But some people follow the game and what Alex says day to day so we might as well be his minions that save him some time here. I've heard that he usually spends quite a bit of his time on the forums so I'd assume any help on frequent and repeated questions is welcome. Or any suggestion that's already in the game or is being worked on.

Besides, I'm at least doing something useful in my free time lol
Please don't take me too seriously.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »

Well that's the point.
I searched for his opinion on the topics I introduced, but I've found nothing definitive.
I really tried to find out what he thinks about the points I discussed in the OP.
There is one thread where he seems permissive to the idea of factions rising, declining, expanding etc.

There are also people that don't want such mechanics in the game.
In the case of major factions just getting slapped around by pirates, then that's partly an acknowledged issue (of there not being any endgame at all) and (in my opinion) design issues that prevent mechanics from working as they seem to be in lore (mostly a major disconnect between a faction overall and its military). And I'm disappointed by the fact that there's no reason to siege any system, too, but I see it as something akin to campaign before hyperspace: fuel was vendor trash, because with no hyperspace, fuel is of no use.
It's how I view current issues with progression, really. It's incomplete. The most common hypothesis is that Alex's plan is to oppose the player with another dynamic, expanding antagonistic force. We might not have the time to colonise the entire sector or decide who does it. It would arguably not fit with the lore, but lore and theming has been all over the place as of late...

"Alex has said in the past that if (and that's a big if) factions will expand, they will do so in a limited manner, presumably one that allows the player to get involved.
You might want to check out Vayra's Sector or Nexerelin mods, which make the factions (currently only vanilla) expand by colonising more planets, though to my knowledge it's completely divorced from player activity."

In an earlier commentyou said something like this.

I can totally accept that a bunch of people want these mechanics but others not.
But there is a solution.
You can make it optional.

And again, I'm not for a quickly expanding Hegemony (or anything else in particular) which by the time you could build your first colony controls everything. I'm not even for a fair race between NPC empires and the players. Just make them look like they are at least trying.

It's ridiculous that if you are fed up with hegemony inspections you can just KILL THE ALL.
These inspections and expeditions btw look like some tower defense game meta. That's very stupid too.
If you destroy a small fleet of the US Navy, they wouldn't send another small fleet. They would send 2-3 CSGs.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2020, 08:53:17 AM »

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16240.0

Btw this is the topic where he seems open to the idea of conquering others.
From this, I don't see why couldn't the others (factions) conquer you or each other.
NOTE: I'm not for total war in space but for more options.
Pages: 1 [2]