Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More mount types  (Read 990 times)

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
More mount types
« on: June 01, 2020, 10:49:04 PM »

Weapon-mounts that imbue the mounted weapon with a given property or effect - some of these effects could be those of a weapon-related hullmod, or otherwise change its stats/behaviour.
The more interesting examples I can think of:
EMP-damage - Converts 5% of weapon's damage into EMP.
Ammo Reserve - Weapons mounted will have double missiles/charges/expanded magazines.
Twin-Link - The weapon is duplicated in an underside mount, increasing its OP-cost by 50% but reducing the weapons' flux/second by 33%.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: More mount types
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 03:12:32 PM »

Needs workshopping but I find this suggestion intriguing.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 04:29:57 PM »

I think this could be interesting, but the way I'd recommend you try it out is via a series of hullmod upgrades in the next version (which allows you to call weapon mounts by size - so things like 'all small energy weapons have their flux costs reduced by 25%' are doable). Doing it on a per-mount basis seems obnoxious and hard to keep track of, but affecting a class of mounts would be the right combo of interesting and accessible.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »

I'm intrigued but some are going to be objectively better than "standard" mounts, which leads to optimal styles of play. I guess it's in the implementation.

For example, if there was a ship that had a very obvious "special" Large Ballistic mount that was slaved to the ship system, that could work. It couldn't fire under normal circumstances but when the ship system is activated, it does +500% damage for a few seconds. That would lead to tactical combat decisions, meaningful choice, etc. (Getting the AI to use it intelligently might be another issue, but I digress)

I guess I would be against passive mount shenanigans that just "add X damage" or "Add X effect," even if there were good trade-offs to using it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 01:36:43 PM »

Not only that, but it'll be even harder to balance some weapons. For example imagine a Heavy machine gun with EMP, or a Tach lance with bonus % damage. I agree with others that it will make some ships more unique and more variety is always cool but imo I think it would bring more headaches than benefits.

Kinda related to the topic, I'd like to see more unique built-in weapons, those can be easily balanced since it's just on one ship. It'll help with samey builds on some types of ships, mainly some high-tech ships all rocking Sabots + something with high dmg/shot.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 05:58:45 PM »

One way to control for that is to pick the correct tradeoffs - yeah, an HMG with EMP is a problem... but what about reducing the damage? "All Ballistics do EMP damage" is bad - but what if that changed to "all Ballistics have 25% of their damage converted to EMP", or something even more specific (all Kinetic weapons, or all small Ballistic weapons...) - now you're looking at an interesting tradeoff. Throw in something like doubled max inaccuracy and recoil or increased flux costs and it's a genuine sidegrade.

So it's really more about picking the correct set of choices to present to the player. And of course you can always go for straight power creep if you really want, but that's not the only option on the table.