Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Simple quick preview for weapons  (Read 1041 times)

xelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Simple quick preview for weapons
« on: May 27, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen :)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a quick preview of all your shiny weapons in the refit screen?
Maybe a small window on the right with 3/4 of screenheight and 1/10 of screenwidth?
Window opens on mouse over (slot on ship?) or with "show" button?
The selected weapon will then be displayed at the bottom, shooting from bottom to top into empty space without any target?
Or some similar display, of course... this is just a quick and dirty idea.
TL;DR
This would make refitting much more efficient. Lots of weapons I do not use, because I'm not familiar with them and sometimes too lazy to go into the simulation over and over again to just watch my decision. Why is this important for me?
The description lacks the travelling speed of the bullet/particle/bolt/whatever, so an unknown weapon, which seems to be optimal at first sight (based on the description) can appear as totally bad against f.e. frigattes, if the shoot moves too slow (Hellbore Cannon is a good example: Totally useless for my gameplay).

I think, such a preview would be pretty cool and helpful.

Thank you for reading, please excuse bad english and kind greetings from germany :D

PS:
This is such a nice game. One of my all time favorites in the Top 5 of my all time hit list!
I am playing computer games since 1983: Phoenix, Defender, Elite@C64 (I'm 52y old, by the way). So the pool of interesting games is very very huge in case of my person.
So thank you soo much for this shiny diamond of a mixture of strategy, exploration and very very interesting 2D-Combat, spiced with a very huge amount of extensive micro management.
Such a nice game... such a nice game... soo much fun!
Thank you! 8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 01:58:32 PM by xelo »

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Simple quick preview for weapons
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 04:42:56 PM »

TL;DR
This would make refitting much more efficient. Lots of weapons I do not use, because I'm not familiar with them and sometimes too lazy to go into the simulation over and over again to just watch my decision. Why is this important for me?
The description lacks the travelling speed of the bullet/particle/bolt/whatever, so an unknown weapon, which seems to be optimal at first sight...

I sometimes literally go to the Starsector wiki rather than refit a ship and run a simulation just to test out how a weapon fires. This is such a good idea. I think maybe a simulation where you can quickly cycle between weapons in your inventory would be good too.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »

Oh yeah there was an exact same suggestion a while ago but I don't remember what Alex said specifically. Perhaps it would just have too big of an impact on performance for what it does. And that is being useful for first time players and then probably never using it again unless you start playing with mods then the learning phase begins again.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 12:38:50 AM »

I wouldn't mind if simulator was expanded to allow the player to use weapons and ships he doesn't yet have. Weapons you can still test for free, if you don't switch the refit screen, but it would be nice to know if something is worthwhile in advance.
Until then, you have access to all weapons, hullmods and fighters in the missions screen in the main menu.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:05:37 PM »

PS:
This is such a nice game. One of my all time favorites in the Top 5 of my all time hit list!
I am playing computer games since 1983: Phoenix, Defender, Elite@C64 (I'm 52y old, by the way). So the pool of interesting games is very very huge in case of my person.
So thank you soo much for this shiny diamond of a mixture of strategy, exploration and very very interesting 2D-Combat, spiced with a very huge amount of extensive micro management.
Such a nice game... such a nice game... soo much fun!
Thank you! 8)

Oh, hey - a belated hi, welcome to the forum, and thank you for your kind words!

As far as the suggestion - I think it's a good idea, but it's difficult to do. When you factor in a variety of possible scripted effects, I'm not sure just how to approach it in a way that wouldn't break something somewhere. Still, hmm. Worth keeping in mind; not sure when/if I'll ever get to it, but, yeah, I think this could be good if there was a reasonable way to do it under the hood.

xelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »

Thank you for considering! 8)