Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Change the UI to increase Colony Build Limit  (Read 665 times)

zymmas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Change the UI to increase Colony Build Limit
« on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:21 AM »

It's been suggested before, yet apparently not frequently enough to be added to frequently suggested, so I'll say it here again.

The Colony Build screen needs to be brought in line with other large "inventory" esque screens.  Whether it's the player's actual inventory, a large list of planets, a large list of blueprints to be made, etc, everywhere else that the player can have a large amount of things they have a scrollable window displaying them.

The single exception to this is for colonies.

As I've said before, this has already been brought up and Alex has even discussed it, saying the following.

(Already fixed this up, btw, in terms of the limit being bypassed.)

Yeah, this came up before, so you don't need to make a request thread :)

Basically it's a UI issue - I'd have to put the industry list inside a scroller to support more than 12 (or rearrange the UI in a big way). Neither seems all that good UI-wise, really, so it's not something I'm keen on doing.

It also wouldn't see much use in vanilla - since design-wise, I think it's better to encourage fewer things being built at a colony; at least in my view, if the 12 building limit is being brushed against, that's indicative of a design problem - and if I did this just for people to be able to use in mods etc, there's a solid chance I'd break it without realizing, and that's its own set of problems.

As this has been a growing issue over the years I'd say it's time to bring the Colony UI in line with all other areas of the UI where you have a large list, text or otherwise, of items.  Put the industry list inside a scroller, please.  I'm not sure why you don't think that's good UI-wise when you've literally trained the players all this time that large lists of items are all already inside scroller windows, yet, regardless, this isn't a problem that's going to go away.

As it is, even for vanilla, this is just unduly restrictive.  It hampers and could even later prevent further expansion upon the colony system.  Having this limit doesn't make the UI look nicer in any respect and, indeed, it actively makes it function in contrast to all the other list-based UI elements.

Even if development continues to proceed along the lines of wanting only a few things per colony in vanilla and the colony system never gets developed to the point of pushing or brushing against the current 12 build limit one has to remember that there's a large and active modding community.  That fact alone, that very community is enough incentive itself to warrant the necessary UI tweaks and considerations to further support mods.

As far as I'm aware this doesn't seem to be something a mod can currently overcome or edit.  I imagine that if it were there'd have been a mod to do that very thing already, yet, as far as I've seen there hasn't been such a mod so it must be something that only the Developers can fix.  So please, change it.  Make the list scrollable, remove the 12 building limit, make it so neither the mods/modders nor future colony development is restricted by such a small number of items.

Please, whatever trouble it might be will be absolutely worth it, I promise.  It's not a small thing nor a small ask yet a scrolling list will be significantly better than rearranging the UI or leaving it as is.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Change the UI to increase Colony Build Limit
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 07:17:00 AM »

Mod support is a valid argument.

But as far as the vanilla game is concerned, the limit is a deliberate choice and can also be balanced against the other way by, for example, removing redundant industries and structures. Lookin' at you, commerce. Right now, the limit is part of a design aesthetic as well and that's where things get difficult. If Alex has to compromise on design just for a community project, that's not good. A scrollbar is gonna be more ugly than, for example, having '<<' '>>' buttons somewhere, or having 'Industries' 'Structures' buttons. And those would only give you four more structures and no more industries unless the game's modded.

Tbh, I would not even brush up against this limit if not for the fact that the mods I play with add one nice extra structure (the Medical Center) as well as a bunch of ones I wouldn't use. To sum up - I'm in favor, but the tendency of community mods to pile on structures and industries is also something that currently does not capture the 'board game' spirit of the colony building part of SS. And if that is intended and meant to stay, then the mods will have to rethink their approach.