Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Font scaling, or bigger fonts for high resolution screens  (Read 4162 times)

Jastebro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Font scaling, or bigger fonts for high resolution screens
« on: August 05, 2019, 03:38:58 AM »

Just got the game, loved the concept.
However, I'm straining my eyes hard trying to read very tiny letters on my native 3440x1440 screen. Maybe I'm getting old

The quick & dirty solution is ofc to play on a lower resolution, but that loses the nice ultrawide fullscreen feel.

Please consider an option to have fonts scaleable, so that modern monitors can run at full resolution while still having text readable.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Font scaling, or bigger fonts for high resolution screens
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 07:24:01 AM »

I'm going to look at that, yeah - hopefully I'll be able to work something out!

(I will say that it's likely that the feel will be similar to that of running at a lower res, except that zoomed-out graphics of ships etc would be crisper. The amount you're able to see running fullscreen at your resolution is above what's really intended, e.g. you're easily seeing outside the fog of war in combat, etc.)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »

Looking forward to this!

Playing in 2560x1440 on a 27 inches monitor, eyes 1 meter (3.3 feet) away from screen: UI - especially text - is a bit small. So any improvement in this area would/will be much welcome.

(note: I'm also a "almost always fully zoomed-out" kind of player, in and out of combat)

Onyvox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »

Using 1920x1080 and constantly wearing glasses that make everything look 1/4 smaller.

Not fun :\

Especially when trying to make sense of market's inner workings or reading bounty info.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:53:59 AM by Onyvox »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 01:54:10 PM »

Good news, Alex is working on UI scaling: https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1161337540936392704
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Onyvox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:06:49 PM »

While scaling in itself is a good thing, I gave it another thought and came to conclusion that the main problem here might be something entirely different.
Thing is, when I get a bounty offer, I have to look through some text to find where my target may be hiding.
What if some parts of those requests were broken down in groups.

Like instead of:
"She is rumored to hide there and there, closely to this. Likes cats and drinking cappuccino during long walks under the rain".

We could get something like:
Possible location:
Constellation - New Guan
System - Dwarf primary star
Planet - Gas giant

It reads much easier and also could be colour coded, making it even better to distinguish.
It's like ship specs, you don't need to know who's grandpa using what family secrets made this ship and how much love he gave it.
Although, to be fair there are parts about his love for shipmaking, but they're not in your face, but in a separate section of the game (which is cool, cause I love reading lore stuff, even when it's modded stuff)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:17:01 PM by Onyvox »

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »

For now, you can run in full screen with a lower than native resolution. Most graphics drivers have an option to scale a full screen app to the full resolution with pretty decent results. Make sure to use a resolution with the same aspect ratio as your native one for best results.

For UI scaling to work at native resolution, you need to add a good sharpening filter at the end of the rendering queue. When a game does not have one (looking at you, Stellaris), you can use ReShade to inject Adaptive Sharpening.

Onyvox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »

For now, you can run in full screen with a lower than native resolution. Most graphics drivers have an option to scale a full screen app to the full resolution with pretty decent results. Make sure to use a resolution with the same aspect ratio as your native one for best results.

For UI scaling to work at native resolution, you need to add a good sharpening filter at the end of the rendering queue. When a game does not have one (looking at you, Stellaris), you can use ReShade to inject Adaptive Sharpening.

Will keep that in mind :)

Dapperius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »

You mentioned ReShade, which I would love to use with Starsector. However, I can't seem to get it to work. No matter what API I select it doesn't seem to run with the game; nothing happens when "home" (ReShade UI button) is pressed. I've looked everywhere and I haven't found any help. If you know how to get ReShade to work with Starsector, I'd really appreciate it if you could share that info with me.

Gaudium

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 01:52:04 AM »

To use Reshade with Starsector i found out that you need to bind it to the jawaw.exe and not the game's exe.
So when installing bind it to X:\Games\Starsector\jre\bin java.exe or jawaw.exe and  of course choose Opengl.
I've just tested it and it works.