Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: T3 Orbital stations  (Read 1574 times)

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
T3 Orbital stations
« on: May 25, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »

Are they balanced or is 1 or 2 clear winners with the right weapons?

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: T3 Orbital stations
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »

There was an old thread where someone tested a bunch of station balance stuff.
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15758.msg269764#msg269764

Flix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 10:54:34 PM »

What an interesting read. At tier 3 they seem to all be balanced. BTW what's an OCI fortress?
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 11:06:38 PM »

What an interesting read. At tier 3 they seem to all be balanced. BTW what's an OCI fortress?

From a mod I think but I don't know which one. I've never used it.

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 11:52:03 PM »

It's not on the forums yet. Try the Discord.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 11:57:40 PM »

Of note I found the midlines somewhat easier to defend with a smaller fleet, assuming i'm actually present at the battle.  My general strat for any station defense is to position my fleet on the left and right side of the station, preventing the enemy from surrounding it and giving the various modules time to drop flux before coming back around and blasting.

The midlines focus on overwhelming, if brief, firepower tended to mean that it'd just nuke a few ships each pass, thus making the battle easier, and then cooldown, while the other stations generally were a more sustained barrage.

That said the low techs insane PD tended to support larger fleets well which was kinda nice in the end game, but this is all just looking for flavor in what's otherwise a pretty meaningless distinction.  They'll all murder anything but the strongest fleets, and do even more with fleet backup.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 06:34:34 AM »

Strangely enough, I find that the original Remnant (Fully Operational) Nexus to be significantly easier to fight than a Star Fortress of any flavor. As the first iteration of stations, it suffers from "Guinea Pig" status and the lessons learned helped create the Low/Midline/High-Tech stations. I think what sets it apart are the smaller modules that you can pick off piecemeal vs. the much larger modules on the later-developed stations.

Now, a proper Nexus is still a tough fight but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the newer ones do but then again, if you face a Nexus with an Ordo hanging around, that's about as tough as a fight you can get in Vanilla.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 06:50:55 AM »

Strangely enough, I find that the original Remnant (Fully Operational) Nexus to be significantly easier to fight than a Star Fortress of any flavor. As the first iteration of stations, it suffers from "Guinea Pig" status and the lessons learned helped create the Low/Midline/High-Tech stations. I think what sets it apart are the smaller modules that you can pick off piecemeal vs. the much larger modules on the later-developed stations.

Now, a proper Nexus is still a tough fight but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the newer ones do but then again, if you face a Nexus with an Ordo hanging around, that's about as tough as a fight you can get in Vanilla.

Absolutely agree. Nexus is extremely vulnerable to some kind of specific tactics, making it an easy pray. Star fortresses are much more dangerous, even if no support fleet. Nexuses almost always does not have a support fleet (if player not an idiot).
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »

"An Ordo around a Nexus? Why not 2 Ordos with 3 Radiants each near a Nexus?" - Leeroy "Vanilla" Jenkins

Granted I am crazy enough to pull that off and won with little to no casualties, but even fighting 3 large Hegemony fleets at once wasn't enough.

Absolutely agree. Nexus is extremely vulnerable to some kind of specific tactics, making it an easy pray. Star fortresses are much more dangerous, even if no support fleet. Nexuses almost always does not have a support fleet (if player not an idiot).