Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Larry and Harry having a discussion about balance  (Read 2713 times)

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Larry and Harry having a discussion about balance
« on: May 25, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »

• Larry: Antimatter Blaster sucks! You need a Paragon with max flux capacity to fire it!
  • Harry: What?! Antimatter Blaster is overpowered! A Wolf can one-shot an Onslaugh with a single Antimatter Blaster!
  • Larry: I say, as long as it doesn't have the Dy Py Esss of a Plasma Cannon, it's a BAAAADDDD gun.
  • Harry: I say, it is a very GOOOODDDD gun with its twenty torpedo-damage-level charges, in fact it is Ohhh Py.
  • Larry: Nah it sucks, please buff!
  • Harry: Nah its too good, please nerf!
  • Larry: You don't get it don't you? Who would want very short range torpedoes anyway?
  • Harry: No you don't get it. Range is plenty, in fact they should make a new version that fires only on contact!
  • Larry: You are crazy! They should make a new version that shoots 700-damage particules every seconds at range 800.
  • Harry: You mean with a one-on-one eff-ficienssy and 5 Ohh Py to mount the gun on a ship?
  • Larry: Right! Now that sounds awesome!
  • Mommy: You know what is awesome boys?
  • Larry&Harry: What is awesome Mommy?
  • Daddy: I know what it is. Can't you smell it boys?
  • Mommy: That's right, cookies right from the new Tri-Tech oven that Daddy brought this morming.
  • Mommy: Here you go!
  • Larry&Harry: (overwhelmed by the Ohh Py awesomesss of the cookie smell, and the promise of a GOOOD taste, the boys kept quiet for a moment)
  • Harry: How does the Tri-Tech oven works?
  • Mommy: Well, first you put the dish with cookies inside and close the door.
  • Mommy: Then push the red button, and...
  • Daddy: Right, then there is a one-quatter-of-a-second-delay where the oven readdies its fourteen-hundred-joules-charge while actually using fifteen-hundred-joules.
  • Mommy: ...and it fires with a subtle flash, then it's done.
  • Mommy: Though we then let the cookies cool down out of the oven for ten seconds.
  • Larry: THAT is awesome indeed!
  • Harry: I bet one kilojoule would be enough.
  • Larry: I disagree, one point five is fine. On the other hand they should get ride of the delay.
  • Harry: Now you are the crazy one! You can't remove deelays! I bet the oven would cost less Ohhh Py had it worked with one-kilojoule-charge while using one-point-five-kilojoules.
  • Larry: That would be BAADD eff-ficienssy. Please buff Tri-Tech oven!
  • Harry: Uh, what about that 10 seconds cookie cooldown?! It's too short! Please nerf Tri-Tech cookies!
  • Mommy: (lays back in her chair holding her pregnant belly with both hands)
  • Daddy: (looking at Mommy's eyes, then her belly, then back to her eyes, smilling)
  • Mommy: (returning an understanding smile at Daddy)
  • Mommy: Boys, I'm sure your baby sister will find the cookies just right once she taste them, without buff, without nerf.
  • Larry&Harry: (again, the boys kept quiet for a moment)
  • Larry: When does she come?
  • Harry: Release when!?

Spoiler
:D
[close]

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Larry and Harry having a discussion about balance
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 06:44:20 AM »

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

lili

• Ensign
  • a fat guy from the sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 08:20:07 PM »

Hello! that' s fun!
Can I translate it and post it on Fossic.org? I'll mark the source.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »

Hello! that' s fun!
Can I translate it and post it on Fossic.org? I'll mark the source.

Hi Lili,

Short answer: I'm not sure this short piece of silly text is worth translating, but if you feel like doing it, sure, go ahead!  :)

Long answer:
Spoiler
Also it is not that easy to translate. A few tips:
  • It is supposed to be both silly and funny, hopefully putting a smile on the reader's face.
  • I'm not a native speaker of English, so expect a few mistakes...
  • ...on the other hand I took the liberty of twisting a few words and acromyms in order to make a point.
  • This is a silly conversation between the two main characters, bouncing ideas from one extreme to the other.
  • With over the top arguments from both of them.
  • Also, opposite arguments/opinions.
  • Both are wrong. Or maybe both are right?
  • Anyway we try to keep the conversation balanced. (Ha!)

Also, this was (obviously) inspired by real conversations on this forum. Yet, we don't want to make fun of real people, nor do we want to ridicule the quality discussions happening here.

So this is a caricature of a conversation with 2 strong opposite opinions where the arguments from each character - if put into use - would most likely disturb balance rather than improve it. The twisted words and youngster-level sentences are supposed to reinforce the silliness of it.
[close]

lili

• Ensign
  • a fat guy from the sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:37:29 AM »

Hi Lili,

Short answer: I'm not sure this short piece of silly text is worth translating, but if you feel like doing it, sure, go ahead!  :)

Long answer:
Spoiler
Also it is not that easy to translate. A few tips:
  • It is supposed to be both silly and funny, hopefully putting a smile on the reader's face.
  • I'm not a native speaker of English, so expect a few mistakes...
  • ...on the other hand I took the liberty of twisting a few words and acromyms in order to make a point.
  • This is a silly conversation between the two main characters, bouncing ideas from one extreme to the other.
  • With over the top arguments from both of them.
  • Also, opposite arguments/opinions.
  • Both are wrong. Or maybe both are right?
  • Anyway we try to keep the conversation balanced. (Ha!)

Also, this was (obviously) inspired by real conversations on this forum. Yet, we don't want to make fun of real people, nor do we want to ridicule the quality discussions happening here.

So this is a caricature of a conversation with 2 strong opposite opinions where the arguments from each character - if put into use - would most likely disturb balance rather than improve it. The twisted words and youngster-level sentences are supposed to reinforce the silliness of it.
[close]

Thanks a lot! I was actually impressed by the "seeker truth from facts" that you were trying to convey. Also this is an interesting snippet and I'm sure the article helps resolve some conflicts! good job!

iceball3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:10:49 AM »

You know, you made me think, how will the sunder do with two antimatter blasters...
I'll have to give it a spin sometime.