Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Am I ready to establish my first colony?  (Read 1410 times)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Am I ready to establish my first colony?
« on: May 24, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »

Current state on year 222:

Spoiler

[close]

So, the question is: is that enough, or I need some more preparation?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Am I ready to establish my first colony?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 11:44:53 AM »

Given your pictures, is this a joke question?  Unless the mods you use have altered gameplay far from standard, that is more than enough to raise an "I WIN" endgame empire in a short amount of time.

P.S.  I just noticed all of core is dead after double-checking!  I guess there is the never-ending onslaught of pirate activity.  Are you friendly with them?  If not, I suppose credit attrition is a real concern.  Where are the supplies and other commodities needed to build colonies and infrastructure?  Bundled into those mod blueprint-like items?  Aside from that, it looks like the game is already won, and the question is moot (if it was not a joke).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:04:28 PM by Megas »

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »

I would restart
can't see any good planets :D
and you need more crew

exploration everything is a nice goal

edit:year 222 is really fast for that, I think
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 01:15:28 PM by Havoc »

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 01:07:15 PM »

Now you just need a fleet of 30 Paragons and you can be on your merry way.
Please don't take me too seriously.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »

You are eons ahead of when I make my first colony.

Also, did you your off the "Inhabited" worlds just to disable tha names on the core worlds to troll people?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 02:07:48 PM »

I just noticed all of core is dead after double-checking!

Core is alive. Surprisingly. I only switch off names. No babysitting at all.

edit:year 222 is really fast for that, I think

Paragon with surveying equipment helps a lot. Could be faster if I have strong enough will to eject into space something more valueble, than metals. So, I have to return to core when it is over cargo capacity, which was ~11k, BTW.

Now you just need a fleet of 30 Paragons and you can be on your merry way.

Who say, I didn't have them? That is a lie. I have only 6.

Also, did you your off the "Inhabited" worlds just to disable tha names on the core worlds to troll people?

Not to troll. Aesthetic.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »

*spit take* I see another man of culture with Industrial.Evolution and those VPCs. Combine that with SkilledUp, and you can call yourself The Senate with variable assemblers with marine/heavy arms chips as your Stormtroopers.

I'd say a compact star system with all of the resources in one spot, and another system with a cryosleeper as a "AI" super growth system, and not even the Hegemony would stand up to you (if going Darth Sidious path and raise a strong military in secret right under their noses before using AIs).

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 04:58:04 AM »

Neat. More evidence for the "forges & synchrotrons are far too common" case.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 05:18:32 AM »

Neat. More evidence for the "forges & synchrotrons are far too common" case.
Looks more like corrupted nanoforges are too common.

It looks like he explored the entire map.  Also, there is no telling if he robbed some of the items from the core worlds (like stealing Chicomoztoc's or Kazeron's forge) or looted some forges from the Domain motherships.  However, since it seems he did not build colonies yet, tech mining can be ruled out.

Finally, there are items that do not appear in an unmodded game.  No telling if the mods affect item generation.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 05:47:05 AM »

Consider that any mod which adds items to the "rare_tech" drop tables is adding extra chances to the pool but is not adjusting the core items, and so is effectively diluting the chances of picking any given thing. This makes any given item rarer than it would be in vanilla.

I've played dozens of games to 100% exploration (this is basically default gameplay for me), both with mods and without. These numbers are consistent with the modded games I have played.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 05:51:22 AM »

Also, there is no telling if he robbed some of the items from the core worlds (like stealing Chicomoztoc's or Kazeron's forge) or looted some forges from the Domain motherships.  However, since it seems he did not build colonies yet, tech mining can be ruled out.

Finally, there are items that do not appear in an unmodded game.  No telling if the mods affect item generation.

Nothing robbed. Yet. Motherships just like a survey ships are all looted.

Mods... Yeah. That would be an Industrial evolution. Do they affect item generation? Have no idea. But if yes, I would say they actually decrease drop rate for NF (both pristine and corrupted), based on fact vanilla usually yeld more from similar total exploration.

I've played dozens of games to 100% exploration
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 05:54:06 AM by Mondaymonkey »

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »

Consider that any mod which adds items to the "rare_tech" drop tables is adding extra chances to the pool but is not adjusting the core items, and so is effectively diluting the chances of picking any given thing. This makes any given item rarer than it would be in vanilla.

I've played dozens of games to 100% exploration (this is basically default gameplay for me), both with mods and without. These numbers are consistent with the modded games I have played.
As someone who tried mods the first time, I am well aware how rare pristine nanoforges get, and getting rarer when blueprints are at stake. On the other hand, I did take advantage of a certain faction and make one of the colonies the primary ship manufacturing site, using both Orbital Works and Modular Fabricators to improve ship quality while making do with the corrupt nanoforge in the Orbital Works (Modular Fabricators halve nanoforge effectiveness when installed in exchange for higher quality bonuses). Once I have the Pristine Nanoforges, I can just drop the quality doctrine and focus on either massive fleet sizes or highly skilled officers that don't pop like Hegemony chumps.

I explore with a Luddic Path (or SO'd) Cerberus and a fast but efficient tanker. Outfly everything like Han Solo.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 09:59:56 AM »

I have not looted an entire sector yet.  The most I have completed in a game (before I quit) is half of the sector.  (Babysitting greatly interferes with exploration.)  By then, I have an endgame fleet that can farm Ordos or destroy all of core several times over.  In one of those games, I picked the wrong half to explore and did not find any pristine nanoforges, and had to steal them from Chicomoztoc and Kazeron.  (Later, I explored the other half and found two, but it was too little, too late.)