Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frigate Supportship  (Read 1065 times)

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Frigate Supportship
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »

Hi, I would like to use Frigates also later
but CR is a problem with bigger fights and shipcap

my suggestion:

frigate support ship( like carrier)
it can reset nearby frigate CR once in a battle and (maybe) refill some small rocket
(SO frigates only resets 30-50% CR)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Frigate Supportship
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:22:41 AM »

Alternative suggestion: Hullmod that gives a flat PPT to all ships smaller than ship it is installed onto. If that ship is destroyed or retreated bonus disappear, but PPT of ally ship won't drop below their own max PPT.

Hullmod by itself should be very OP expensive and have some serious self-debuff.

Does not contribute bonus PPT to SO ally ships. Lets be honest, it is fair.

EDIT: Ally phase ships get only part of a bonus. Like 30-50%.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:25:38 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 08:29:13 AM »

I'd like if if pursuit battles, for the attacker, could only be conducted by small or fast ships like frigates, destroyers, phase ships, and light cruisers.

That way you would require these kinds of ships to actively peruse enemies.

Additional battle types, raids, skirmishes and the sort could also involve small ships apart from the big line battles.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »

Hi, I would like to use Frigates also later
but CR is a problem with bigger fights and shipcap

my suggestion:

frigate support ship( like carrier)
it can reset nearby frigate CR once in a battle and (maybe) refill some small rocket
(SO frigates only resets 30-50% CR)

You can already do this. Every ship has help info, so you know its PPT. When the time comes, press U, tab out to the tactical map, select the ship you were piloting, and then press D on the ship. Press G to bring in a new ship of the same type, wait for it to arrive, and press X to take control of it. I do the same for longer battles where even Paragon PPT is too short.

Havoc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »

makes no sense in campaign
I have  aleready max fleet size (25?30?)and deploy all combatship in big battles.
usually I have max 1-2 frigates in late game but I would like to keep my 10 from early game and give them names

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »

makes no sense in campaign
I have  aleready max fleet size (25?30?)and deploy all combatship in big battles.
usually I have max 1-2 frigates in late game but I would like to keep my 10 from early game and give them names

You can adjust the max fleet-size if you go to
<your starsector folder>/data/config

open up settings.json, find the string maxShipsInFleet and change the value.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:32:18 AM »

Imo, to make most of frigates useful, we need something more than just extra PPT. May be:
- make LPCs less effective than frigates already
- rework command points mechanics (something like: the more points you have the more DP you get, but you can give orders as often as you want... it also will force players to capture command beacons rather than edge-camp, and yeah: frigates can cap em faster)
- make asteroids bigger and increase their numbers to let frigates hide
- increase the chances to recover lost frigates
- also separate increase of recovery chance for low tech ships (because, you know... its a flying iron can...)
Spoiler
[close]

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »

I'd like if if pursuit battles, for the attacker, could only be conducted by small or fast ships like frigates, destroyers, phase ships, and light cruisers.

Side note: Personally I'd select it even more accutely and base it on burn speed. Say, you can only use ships with burn speed of 9 or higher. That covers all frigates, non-civilian destroyers and light cruisers.

If Augmented Drive Field would become a "must have" hullmod because of that (ugh), you could make it require a base burn speed of that value, but that would be confusing to the player.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »

Side note: Personally I'd select it even more accutely and base it on burn speed. Say, you can only use ships with burn speed of 9 or higher. That covers all frigates, non-civilian destroyers and light cruisers.

If Augmented Drive Field would become a "must have" hullmod because of that (ugh), you could make it require a base burn speed of that value, but that would be confusing to the player.

If this change were to happen, we'd then also have to change how fleets behave on the map. Now tiny fleets that are too scared/weak to attack will still buzz around your fleet ('maintaining contact'), with them being nearly impossible to chase down, would make clearing out the space around stations before attack incredibly annoying.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »

I'm a bit confused, why do you say this would require AI changes? Pursuit battles already involve the deployment of frigates from the flanks, all we're doing here is expanding the number of ships that can be a part of that flanking manoeuvre.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 04:38:20 PM »

I'm a bit confused, why do you say this would require AI changes? Pursuit battles already involve the deployment of frigates from the flanks, all we're doing here is expanding the number of ships that can be a part of that flanking manoeuvre.

I meant not the battle itself, but the actual sector map. Defeated fleets generally still follow your fleet to 'maintain contact'. So I do not mean the battle, but the sector, the place where you can interact with planets, stations etc.

E.g. when you defeat a Detachment, usually a few frigates/destroyers survive the battle. If you let them go, this small fleet remnant will follow your fleet to maintain contact, blocking you from opportunistic raids on planets. (I am talking about the stage of the game, where you are strong enough to defeat detachments, but not yet strong enough to defeat fleets together with a fortress)

Right now, instead of letting go, you can ask any ships to auto-combat them via the second-in-command option. However, if only burn level 9+ ships could be used for this auto-battle, it would effectively cripple the players ability to make quick raids.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 04:40:00 PM by dead_hand »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »

Right now, instead of letting go, you can ask any ships to auto-combat them via the second-in-command option. However, if only burn level 9+ ships could be used for this auto-battle, it would effectively cripple the players ability to make quick raids.

OH right. That's not what I mean by "pursuit", auto-resolve battles would be unchanged. The suggestion (I believe) was referring solely to the player taking control of a pursuit engagement, and how you can deploy frigates (but only frigates) from the sides of the battlefield to head off the escaping enemy.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 08:55:42 PM »

Encounter enemy with superior heavy ships. Initiate escape battle. Wipe out enemy's light ships with your full fleet. Proceed to mop up enemy heavy ships.