Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Customizable Armor Plating  (Read 897 times)

Mikhail Mengsk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Customizable Armor Plating
« on: May 13, 2020, 02:41:42 AM »

Hello all, I've made a proposal about having Armor working like Flux Capacitors and such, i.e. having a customizable amount of them. Instead of a flat predetermined armor value for each ship, we could have a minimum amount and maximum amount, and be free to go full armor or as naked as possible, with the more armored side having a negative effect on speed/mobility.

Here is the Reddit discussion, where I initially posted the proposal: https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/giblqj/additional_armor_plating/

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable Armor Plating
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:02:23 AM »

Idea isn't bad itself.

But it would be just additional thing to abuse in extreme builds, creating more monsters.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:16:14 AM »

But it would be just additional thing to abuse in extreme builds, creating more monsters.

Yep, armor on a ship like Medusa or Tempest is mostly insurance against small mistakes. I'd gladly trade that away for more OP and speed on a player-piloted ship.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 03:22:45 AM »

I would say more: armor on all high-tech ships is the same. Even those paragons needs OP ans speed more than armor.

Low-tech ships on the other hand will most likely be maximally armored, no matter how much it will cost in OP and speed.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 03:27:07 AM »

Being able to add armour isn't a bad idea per se, but bundling a manoeuvrability penalty with it is. Heavy Armour already is somewhat underwhelming, because ships that benefit the most from it are also the ones hurt the most by it and I hope in the next release the manoeuvrability penalty will be gone.
As TaLaR mentioned, in Starsector, it's better to improve defences that are already good. High-tech ships not having much armour is not relevant, if they never get hit on the armour in the first place, thanks to additional power they get from not having much of it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 05:44:13 AM »

I agree with others, it's one of those ideas that sound cool on paper but in reality wouldn't really add much to gameplay. Because as already stated, there would be no point in using OP to improve armor on high tech and midline ships when those two benefit far more from other things. The issue with me personally would be ''yet another thing that costs OP but gets depleted in battle'', same as some missiles. I know minimum armor is a thing but in most cases when ships die, it's due to something powerful, not a simple LAG plinking away at them.

+1 for the Heavy Armour idea, I don't remember ever using that hullmod when skills already do it but better.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 04:08:50 AM »

I tend to agree, there'll almost always be an optimal amount of armour for each ship according to its role, shield strength/coverage etc.
That said, a hullmod that sacrifices armour for extra OP or better maneuverability would be cool.

I was turning over the idea of Mechwarrior-style armour types (ie. 25% more effective vs ballistic, 25% less effective vs energy or vice-versa) which might make granular armour adjustment more worthwhile, but I'd imagine players would just default to whatever best counters the weapons of the factions they expect to be fighting.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 12:38:52 PM »

I was turning over the idea of Mechwarrior-style armour types (ie. 25% more effective vs ballistic, 25% less effective vs energy or vice-versa) which might make granular armour adjustment more worthwhile, but I'd imagine players would just default to whatever best counters the weapons of the factions they expect to be fighting.

This is something that could be done in a modded faction at the faction-design level (keyed to a base hullmod): give ships (picking a number n) 20% less armor than vanilla counterparts with similar flux, etc. stats, and then have faction-only armor hullmods to give them 10% (n*0.5) more armor plus a 30% (n*1.5) damage reduction for targeted damage types.