Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FPS Drops in Large Battles  (Read 5401 times)

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Drops in Large Battles
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2020, 06:42:42 PM »

Okay, here is an update. I dont experience the drastic fps drops already, but there are still. It is playable now though so I can continue playing. Thank God. What I did was changed the amount of memory allocated for the game through the vmparam file. I gave it at least 5 gb worth of memory. Maybe if I continue to play this I'll learn more. I just hope it doesn't drastically drop fps again though. Wish me luck. Thank you for your concern as well.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2020, 01:14:22 PM »

Are you using mods? Graphics Lib can decimate some systems you might try de-activating it features.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 03:40:13 AM »

...I am using 10GB of memory for the game with the mods on.  :o

My computer has 32GB RAM, with an old-ish Skylake i7 CPU and RX480. I am not kidding when massive battles in a system with resulting derelicts can slow down the game to 10-15 FPS.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 04:24:42 AM »

Kinda off topic but holy heck why do so many people have ridiculous amounts of RAM, I've been seing weird numbers lately. Like someone will have 20+ gigs of RAM but a crappy graphics card. What do you do with all that RAM? Open 500 tabs in Chrome? Unless those people are editing videos I don't see the need of having more than 16 GB. I know RAM is cheap but I feel people buy it just for the sake of having moar numbers.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 04:40:06 AM »

What do you do with all that RAM?

Heating the air in the room?

Before you will consider this is a joke... not exactly. I know one guy, he is a student and live in a university's hostel. Last winter there was a heating system malfunction, causing extreme cold for a period of a two weeks. Worst thing was - electrical heaters and any open fire is heavily prohibited by the rules. But the laptops are allowed, so he borrows four laptops and run eternal max performance test for CPU, GP and RAM at the same time. It was enough to warm up his small room. Noisy, tho'.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2020, 04:52:39 AM »

Hats off to that guy, what a genius. I'd probably go crazy with all that noise if I were in his place hah.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Nafensoriel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »

Graphicslib+amd equals a semi trainwreck sometimes. Easy to disable things though.

About the PC as heaters thing though... It's very common in cold places. PCs are technically 98+% efficient heaters.
If you have enough MS/GC etc type lab equipment you might even need to COOL such rooms in the winter! :D

DubTre6

• Commander
  • Tri-Tachyon Agricultural Rep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:22 PM »

I know RAM is cheap but I feel people buy it just for the sake of having moar numbers.

Bingo.
8) why fight the paragon when you can BE the paragon 8)
Pages: 1 [2]