Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Expanded Fleet Dialogue  (Read 7613 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Expanded Fleet Dialogue
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2021, 04:36:02 PM »

Wow it has almost been a year since I last posted on this thread. Time flies fast that's for sure.

Its a long way from being done, but I figured I'd share some pics for some of the features that this mod will have available for other modders to customize content. I've set the dialogue up to be "opt-in" by adding:

"optInMorrokainExtendedDialog":true,

To the custom section of the relevant faction file. Vanilla factions will be enabled by default.

For those who want extra customization (such as enabling the dialogue as a whole but blacklisting certain entities where it doesn't make sense) I plan on accommodating things like that too but haven't gotten to it quite yet. It will likely be a separate spreadsheet containing entity ids.

So far I've managed to convert the entire portion of requesting commodities to the merging spreadsheet. There doesn't appear to be any bugs in the logic so far. Ideally the addition of dialogue using the custom tokens to do things like highlights, multiple responses for each section of the dialogue, etc, will be fairly bullet proof for ease of use. It should already do things like throw an exception and report if a modder started a highlight wrapper and then didn't use an end highlight wrapper.

Unlike rules, a modder also can use any color for highlights to their dialogue. There are set ones for those who don't want to get too technical. Currently the basic options are: story (vanilla story hl), faction (faction color), red, green, blue, purple, yellow, orange, pink, teal, gray, positive (vanilla positive hl), negative (vanilla negative hl), and default (vanilla default hl). However, for those who have something else in mind there is also the option of custom colors. After the wrappers, simply use rgba values just like you would in java.

There will also be additional replacement token options for different faction flavor options. I've included:

$lordOrLady, $LordOrLady, $lordOrLadyPlayer, $LordOrLadyPlayer, $priestOrPriestess, $PriestOrPriestess, $priestOrPriestessPlayer, $PriestOrPriestessPlayer, $SorcererOrSorceress, $sorcererOrSorceress, $SorcererOrSorceressPlayer, $sorcererOrSorceressPlayer

Example:

Syntax:
Spoiler

[close]

In-Game Dialogue showing all three options proccing:
Spoiler

[close]

If the syntax looks a little blocky, keep in mind that using $NEWLINE to create a new paragraph is optional. A modder can use enter in the spreadsheet to make your own paragraphs and that should be preserved in the dialogue string.

However, modders must use -OR- to designate additional responses and the highlight syntax for any highlights, however.

Due to the way that I am assuming spreadsheet merges work, modders likely must also start their dialogue with -OR- to prevent the first additional dialogue option from being merged with the last dialogue option if the modder is adding dialogue to an existing faction such as independents or the hegemony.

If a modder is just adding dialogue for their own custom faction, beginning with -OR- will cause a runtime exception. I don't think there is any way around that unless I can think up something clever.

I also wanted to mention that if anyone has additional token requests they can place them in this thread.

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »

I'd just like to say that I really admire the work you're doing here. Fleet-to-fleet interactions are a severely lacking part of starsector, and this mod will add a lot of much-needed nuance to the way the player approaches other fleets!

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2021, 06:36:11 PM »

Thanks! Happy to do it! :)

NikoTheGuyDude

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 10:06:57 AM »

I know this is a necropost and blah blah, but I'm just checking, is this mod still in development? Cause if not, I might try my hand at it

Morrokain

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »

I know this is a necropost and blah blah, but I'm just checking, is this mod still in development? Cause if not, I might try my hand at it

Yes it is still in development and thanks for asking! I just have been moving very slowly on this front recently because of numerous balance reports for AO that I tried to address in the last AO update. Part of the next lore update in general is to address things like this and flesh out the relevant systems, separate portrait packs and so forth.

After this weekend's minor bugfix update, I am shifting focus to this and other lore related things like missions.

*EDIT* There was also a user request to add balance functionality to another faction mod that I didn't mention above but that was an overall minor effort compared to other things. I figured I should mention it anyway just for clarity's sake.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 02:59:18 PM by Morrokain »
Pages: 1 2 [3]