Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Disabling ship control whilst firing a weapon  (Read 731 times)

Wolvaras

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Disabling ship control whilst firing a weapon
« on: May 06, 2020, 06:12:16 AM »

Hey everyone!

I'm dipping my toes into the modding scene by editing the fantastically fun IBB Yamato ship. Specifically, its Wave Motion Gun. My goal is to make it more of a devestating siege weapon like in the anime, but still within the gameplay context of Starsector.
To that end I have found and edited the required .wpn and weapon_data file. Now I'm looking to have it disable ship weapons, shields, and engines whilst it's charging and firing, to simulate all power being diverted to the gun.

My question: How can I achieve this? Is there function already available for it? If not, how would I go about to script it in myself?

Thank you.  :D

EDIT: After some researching on my own, I believe the best way is to couple the Wave Motion Gun to a Ship System and set the restrictions there. Though with little Java coding experience I'm still trying to figure that part out.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:30:12 PM by Wolvaras »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Disabling ship control whilst firing a weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 06:38:00 PM »

A weapon every frame script should be capable of the task, although that also requires Java coding.

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »

The big ***-off siege ship from Sylphon works like that, IIRC. You could take a look at that.

Wolvaras

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up! I checked it out and it does seem to be doing what I had in mind. I'll try and rig something up with this new knowledge  :)