Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Reworked Independent Faction  (Read 1241 times)

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Reworked Independent Faction
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »

I don't really like how the independent faction works out, they fill a lot of roles of independent merchants, smugglers and bounty hunters which is all great but then they have their own planets and they don't really interact with other factions, so they don't really sound too independent.

It's also strange that with the other factions all pretty much geared up for war with anyone that they just decide to leave Independents alone. Do pirates even raid Independent worlds? (They probably do but I don't remember seeing it)

I think Independents shouldn't have planets or stations, they are just truly independent fleets that go about their business.

I think a player should lose or gain reputation with Independents based on their actions against all factions. Like if the player attacks a Tri-Tachyon merchant fleet while not being commissioned with a faction fighting Tri-Tachyon then they should lose lots of rep with Tri-Tach and a little bit of rep with Independents for unprovoked actions in the sector. Can gain rep by fighting pirates/pathers, maybe even [REDACTED].

Get a hostile enough reputation and then Independent bounty hunters start coming for you, gain good reputation and then you could get better missions or bar events. I was going to say maybe discount or access to goods in black market but then that sounds more shady, it already feels weird lumping in merchants, bounty hunters and smugglers together anyway, but I don't think they need to be separate factions.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Reworked Independent Faction
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »

Do pirates even raid Independent worlds?

Are not your Agreus decivilized?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 03:10:30 PM »

I think it's nice to have places that are reliably friendly to the player. I think it's also not unrealistic that some planets would not be aligned with any of the major factions, there could be ways for a planet to leverage independence.

Pirates do raid independent worlds, and actually the resulting bounties that get posted are a decent way to make some credits, so how would you replace that, if the independent planets were gone?

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »

Pirates do raid independent worlds, and actually the resulting bounties that get posted are a decent way to make some credits, so how would you replace that, if the independent planets were gone?

By the bounties put out by other factions? Also Just because independents don't have a faction doesn't mean they won't be able to put out bounties, if their fleets are being attacked by raiding pirates they can put a bounty on the spawning base.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 02:15:48 AM »

The issue is that if Independents are individual planets that self-govern but band together for protection, then they are literally League 2.0.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:07:47 AM »

Independents acts like a unified faction has far as planets go.  I would not call them League 2.0 because they do not do expedition spam against the player.  League and other majors are notorious expedition spammers that I have no problem sat bombing to wipe them off the map to make them stop.  Independent themselves have no problem sat bombing player colonies in systems they control, namely Magec.

My biggest problem with Independents is all of them side with the enemy when player sat bombs any planet, not just theirs.  When they become hostile to the player for sat bombing an enemy faction (that is not them), they get in the way and become targets to sat bomb too for not minding their own business.

Independents do not have the strength to stand up to a major faction.  They should back off from conflict with major players (i.e., do not get hostile with sat bombing player) unless attacked directly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:12:28 AM by Megas »