Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Autoloaders  (Read 1922 times)

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Autoloaders
« on: May 07, 2020, 08:59:28 PM »

Autoloaders

Get it here.

My Autoloaders mod;

Inspired by the excellent Missiles and Sundries by DaltonKallandor, I felt the need to re-implement the whole "missiles auto-load during combat" thing. In some cases, I disagreed with DK's loading rate, in others I wanted only ordnance weapons, and in the end I realized I was basically rebuilding the mod, so I just went whole-hog and did exactly that.

In general:

No ordnance weapon should reload slower than once every minute, except for the beastly Reaper torpedoes and similar enormo-huge booms.
The antimatter blaster likewise reloads shots, albeit slowly.
No weapon reloads less than one salvo at a time.

Strike craft do not use reloading ordnance, since then bombers would just loiter around the target doing nothing for two minutes waiting for another shot to generate. That would be undesirable.

Stretch Goals (IE, not implemented now): Retuning all the weapons that fire the same missile (just more or less of them) to have the same refire time, so that if, say, you mount both an Annihlator launcher and an Annihilator pod, they fire in sync.

Transuni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Autoloaders
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:28:10 AM »

nice idea

ShadowDragon8685

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 05:32:25 AM »

nice idea

I can't claim credit for the idea, that belongs to DaltonKallendor.

ctuncks

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »

If you haven't done so already you may want to alter the behaviour of some missiles via the hints. I've played around with  Missiles and Sundries as well as doing some of my own modifications and found that the AI still treats missiles as a finite resource.

As such the AI can be very hesitant in actually firing them, the worst cases tend to be lower powered missiles which often had faster reload times. The harpoon was a good example of this where I've seen the AI hoard them (In simulator) often waiting for the perfect shot that quite often never comes. At the same time the AI will happily loose Reapers and Hammers despite the both of them generally having a longer reload time.