Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to turn the camera in battle ?  (Read 984 times)

Sorian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to turn the camera in battle ?
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »

Hi,
   I'm having trouble to control my ship in battle since the camera doesn't follow the ship when it turns, which causes me to get mixed up with my keys (when trying to circle around hostile ships for example).
So I'd like to know if there is a way to make it so the camera will turn with my ship (a setting, a mod, or anything else) ?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How to turn the camera in battle ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »

Alas, there is not; you just have to get used to it.

This messed me up for a while after I started playing, too.

...That said, I did also do some tests (with a different game engine), and making the camera rotate with the ship turns out to actually be quite disorienting as well, especially for frigates with very high turn rates.

Robotron-style controls would be a better suggestion; ships have better acceleration forwards than to the sides, but (most) frigates are agile enough that having controls for 'accelerate up/down/left/right relative to camera' would be more immediately functional to a new player than 'accelerate forward/back/left/right relative to ship'.

That wouldn't work well for capital ships, though, where it's much more important to actually use forward acceleration (which you can't reliably do with robotron-style controls unless you have an actual joystick for input rather than four buttons on a keyboard.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sorian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »

Oh well... Thank you for your reply.

I can see why it such a camera would be disorientating with high turn rates, but I think it would be better in general with most ships that don't turn as fast as frigates. I just find it more intuitive to have the camera and the 'character' (in this case, the ship) linked in their movements.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 07:30:22 PM »

I think it would be helpful if there were a clear UI indicator of your ship's facing. The range indicators on hardpoints work like this for some ships, but of course not all ships have hardpoints and you are not always on your hardpoint groups.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:27:02 PM »

Some immediately visible arrow that show what way you are turning or where you're accelerating would help a lot. On your ship, it might not be clear what movement you're actually causing, especially for slower ships.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 06:31:19 AM »

Would changing the "Ship Strafes to cursor" setting help? It would make it so the ship turns toward the cursor, and the cursor controls the camera so it might help with your issues a little bit, esp. if using a fast turning ship. If you've played Brigador, it would be similar to controlling the AGRAV vehicles.