Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FPS Drops in Large Battles  (Read 5462 times)

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
FPS Drops in Large Battles
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:25 PM »

Is there any way to avoid the fps drops but still get atleast "300" in battle size? My pc works well with small battles, like around 4-7 ships but once it goes to like an armada or large fleets it drops significantly. Here are my specs:

Processor=AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
Video Card=AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
RAM=8.0 GB
Operating SystemWindows 7

I'm currently using these mods: Console Commands, Lazylib, Skilledup
I'm new to the game so I didn't really download factions yet but I can guess that my fps will drop more once I download faction mods as well.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Drops in Large Battles
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:30 PM »

the tutorials in this thread might help, 8gb isn't a whole lot of ram though

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 01:00:42 AM »

That is fairly old hardware that was also low-end even when it was new. A CPU with extremely poor single threaded performance along with mediocre clock speed, combined with an equally underwhelming video card that also is one that struggles with OpenGL.

The reality is, the way to avoid FPS drops is to get a better computer (and avoid AMD video cards as well even if modern).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:02:22 AM by MesoTroniK »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 01:04:07 AM »

I'll go out on a limb and say it's not the CPU. The GPU chokes on the game. I have a R9 and I get the same thing.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 01:07:23 AM »

Is there no way to downgrade the games graphics to increase performance? I'm willing to get ugly looking ships if that means I can play

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 01:09:04 AM »

Schwartz the GPU is mainly at fault yes, because AMD cannot OpenGL... But the CPU is also at fault, that APU is really quite honestly bad. Even when it came out in 2014.

Nivri, no unfortunately. Starsector doesn't have really anything in terms of knobs and switches for graphics and stuff, only battle size really.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 01:12:43 AM »

Is there any way to avoid the fps drops but still get atleast "300" in battle size? My pc works well with small battles, like around 4-7 ships but once it goes to like an armada or large fleets it drops significantly. Here are my specs:

Processor=AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G
Video Card=AMD Radeon R7 200 Series
RAM=8.0 GB
Operating SystemWindows 7

I'm currently using these mods: Console Commands, Lazylib, Skilledup
I'm new to the game so I didn't really download factions yet but I can guess that my fps will drop more once I download faction mods as well.

I am running the game without issues on a much weaker system, and with much more mods than you, albeit on Linux. Is there any chance that you have way too many background processes running on your windows installation? e.g. automatic startup of programs, useless services, etc.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 01:15:09 AM »

Dead Hand, if you also have an AMD video card? The Linux drivers are FAR better than Windows ones, and do not puke blood on OpenGL.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 01:17:04 AM »

Dead Hand, if you also have an AMD video card? The Linux drivers are FAR better than Windows ones, and do not puke blood on OpenGL.

Yep, AMD. But not a very strong system, to me it seems that the game itself is well optimized :-) But if the OP is having issues, might I recommend installing Debian..?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 01:22:46 AM »

Is your weaker system intel/nvidia?

Intel escewed a lot of the huge multi-threading (and still does to an extent) compared to AMD. This means that their individual cores tended to be a lot more powerful.

On top of that radeon does not seem to like OGL all that much.

Starsector is a game that doesnt have a lot of things that can easily be offloaded onto separate cores. There isnt a lot of physics as an example. But the number of objects making logic decisions which are time sensitive to all the happenings on the frame before is quite high and gets quite higher as battle sizes get bigger.

My suggestion is to open up task manager and see how much cpu Starsector is using during a combat. My guess is that its pegged.

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 02:28:56 AM »

What I did was I used the run simulation to place as much ships (both small and big ones). At first, it was reaching 70-100 in deployment. Once I saw the other ships and missiles, fighters and etc were flying about already, it drops to atleast 17-30 fps range. But after killing some of the ships it started to reach the 40-50 fps range again. I also managed to screenshot a pic of my task manager during the many ship part of the battle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 02:33:27 AM »

CPU may have been not that great in 2014, but I played the game for years on a Q9550 with a GTX 275, which is 2008 tech, and I got great FPS playing Uomoz's sector back in the day. Only when I switched to AMD in 2014 did I get bad performance all of a sudden.

It's possible that CPU requirements have gone up with more scripting etc, but I still maintain this is all about AMD OpenGL.

Nivri, if you want to squeeze out more FPS, play fleets that don't use a lot of fighters / missile spam.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 06:43:44 AM »

Change the default memory allocation? 42 isnt pegged. So if it isnt memory then its video

Edit: wait no way to break that down to individual core usage?

Nivri

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 07:28:00 AM »

Change the default memory allocation? 42 isnt pegged. So if it isnt memory then its video

Edit: wait no way to break that down to individual core usage?

I don't really know how to do that, I only know that my pc currently has 4 cores. Sorry for the trouble btw

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 03:30:00 PM »

Under performance you should be able to see a chart of CPU usage on each core. It wont tell you which process is using what but that is immaterial when one is using so much of the whole.

I dont recall where the memory instructions are or what they are any more.
Pages: [1] 2