Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Capital on early, what now?  (Read 4278 times)

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Capital on early, what now?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:28:27 AM »

If you have a supply of high-range high-accuracy guns (maulers, HVDs, gauss cannons) and can pivot fully into combat skills, a Legion flagship with auxiliary thrusters can solo entire fleets.

With smart use of active venting and the 0% flux agility bonus, Burn Drive's cooldown is short enough that you can't be pinned down. Your own wings can provide point defense/air superiority. And you have a *lot* of turrets to work with.
In the hands of the right skills, outfit, and piloting, yes, especially when using the right wing combinations.

Unfortunately, vanilla only has 50 levels to work with, and a good amount of skills are useful in battle or out.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 12:37:46 AM »

You can get most of them while still getting the important campaign ones as well!

Industry skills are just kinda money boosts which are nice to have, until you have infinite money.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 01:13:10 AM »

If you have a supply of high-range high-accuracy guns (maulers, HVDs, gauss cannons) and can pivot fully into combat skills, a Legion flagship with auxiliary thrusters can solo entire fleets.

With smart use of active venting and the 0% flux agility bonus, Burn Drive's cooldown is short enough that you can't be pinned down. Your own wings can provide point defense/air superiority. And you have a *lot* of turrets to work with.
In the hands of the right skills, outfit, and piloting, yes, especially when using the right wing combinations.

Unfortunately, vanilla only has 50 levels to work with, and a good amount of skills are useful in battle or out.

Just ignore the colony related skills, as you can always opt for Alpha Core colony admins. Imho using the XIV legion early on takes special care because of the two large missile mounts. They can pack a punch, but once the missiles run out, the ship is about as strong as a cruiser. Furthermore, not having spark intereptors and flash bombers further decreases the potential of the ship.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 06:31:25 AM »

You can get most of them while still getting the important campaign ones as well!

Industry skills are just kinda money boosts which are nice to have, until you have infinite money.

Except of scavenging. It increase drop for both ordinary and rare items. Do you ever have 18 pristine NF and insanely large amount of corrupted ones? Scavenging level 3 can provide you that and even more. New update with unique, otherwise unobtainable items will make it even more desirable.

However, it is true that price of 6 character points is kinda hight for this.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2020, 06:44:40 AM »

I am of the opinion, that you don't actually need more then a single colony.

I know many people will disagree with me about that due to defence or self sufficiency but I honestly kinda disagree that you actually do need more then 1 colony for most if not all of the end game activities.

More is nice, but after you get one large shipyard world you really don't need another.

ubuntufreakdragon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 06:54:19 AM »

Another option would be to modify it to match a fast fleet at the cost of its combat strength.
Insulated Engine Assembly and Augmented Drive Field should make it behave more like a smaller ship, given it's crew capacity it can store all Marines for your raiding plans.
And with some long range kinetics and Remnant Drone it can be a good combat support, a close combat role doesn't fit if you are using many hull mods.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 08:37:08 AM »

I am of the opinion, that you don't actually need more then a single colony.

I know many people will disagree with me about that due to defence or self sufficiency but I honestly kinda disagree that you actually do need more then 1 colony for most if not all of the end game activities.

More is nice, but after you get one large shipyard world you really don't need another.

But then paying for ships becomes a massive chore due to lack of income, as well as high construction time, because multiple orbital works are going to boost speed, even if you have no forge for them. The colony also wont be able to defend itself, so you'll also need to baby-sit it a lot. Sounds like the worst of all options. Might as well not have any colony than one, because then you can at least do shenanigans to farm market shortages, and then buy whatever ships you like from your commissioned faction's military market.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2020, 09:40:57 AM »

But then paying for ships becomes a massive chore due to lack of income, as well as high construction time, because multiple orbital works are going to boost speed, even if you have no forge for them. The colony also wont be able to defend itself, so you'll also need to baby-sit it a lot. Sounds like the worst of all options. Might as well not have any colony than one, because then you can at least do shenanigans to farm market shortages, and then buy whatever ships you like from your commissioned faction's military market.

I have a different experience personally. I have enough income to cover my expenses, so I can float my fleet about for basically free now, construction times can take months but that isn't much of an issue as that's just a back burner going on while I am surveying and hunting bounties, which make a hell of a lot of money to pay for construction. My single colony which only has a orbital works and a HQ never attracts anything it cannot defeat so I rarely have to go back to defend and even when I do, that's fun to do because I like having fleet battles.

I had small amounts of baby-sitting to begin with, but past size 4 it's basically a self sustaining piggy bank of money that even with pirate -50% access harassment still makes me enough money so I don't have to worry about it.

Honestly I am not experiencing the level of issues that some people are, albeit with the caveat that I am deliberately not putting a third industry on it as to attract as little attention as possible. I'am close to the core too so it's really not an issue to return to.

But yeah, that's just me. Not much profit from upkeep costs, but that just makes my bounty money go further.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

The Legion is a particularly awful ship to find early from a logistics standpoint. Not only is it tied with the Onslaught for worst fuel efficiency in the game (15 fuel/ly) but its crew requirement is second worst, too (700). The only silver lining is that its CR hit per deployment is low. If a Conquest or Odyssey were to fall into my lap early, those would be near-impossible to pass up but a Legion or Onslaught absolutely kill a small/medium-sized fleet in terms of supply cost.

All that said, an early Legion can solo most medium-sized fleets. It's a jack-of-all-trades and with the proper fighters and loadout, it will crush destroyers and cruisers. Efficiency Overhaul and Augmented Drives would probably be necessary to get it to keep up with a smaller/quicker fleet. That will eat a lot of OP but it will still be the biggest, baddest thing on the battlefield by a country mile for quite a while.
Pages: 1 [2]