Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Players starting their own R&D  (Read 2537 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Players starting their own R&D
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »

What you're suggesting sounds more at-home in a 4x game.
You sound like that's something bad (made by the 2000+ hours in 4X gang)

It's not bad, it's just Alex has said repeatedly he's doesn't want to go in that direction. So its a good litmus test whether or not a suggestion is "reasonable" for Starsector or not.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »

Well, the positive side of this decision is: combat in this game truly amazing. Just because Alex focused on it.

I guess, i simply need to learn how to mod by myself. Want to learn JS anyway...
Spoiler
[close]

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 06:37:08 AM »

Well, the positive side of this decision is: combat in this game truly amazing. Just because Alex focused on it.

I guess, i simply need to learn how to mod by myself. Want to learn JS anyway...

OFF-Topic: Not JS... Java. A very different beast, despite the similarity in name :)

ON-Topic:

I think a R&D would make a lot of sense campaign/story/lore wise. I would imagine that Alpha cores would be able to contribute in a significant way to R&D, which would also explain why the Hegemony doesn't like AI very much, the current state of collapse keeps them in a nice status as the most powerful faction.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 06:44:06 AM »

ON-Topic:

I think a R&D would make a lot of sense campaign/story/lore wise. I would imagine that Alpha cores would be able to contribute in a significant way to R&D, which would also explain why the Hegemony doesn't like AI very much, the current state of collapse keeps them in a nice status as the most powerful faction.

If you ignore the 2(Or 3?) AI wars you mean?

It's not like there isn't a precedent that AI death machines can either go rampant or allow a small group of CEO's to dominate the entire sector at one with an automated army. Before that there is a very large population of luddites in the sector who object to such technology inherently.

Even then, the current hegemony has lost over half the sector to insurrectionists and traitors. They are at their weakest upon game start and are basically set to fall.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 06:50:51 AM »

ON-Topic:

If you ignore the 2(Or 3?) AI wars you mean?

It's not like there isn't a precedent that AI death machines can either go rampant or allow a small group of CEO's to dominate the entire sector at one with an automated army. Before that there is a very large population of luddites in the sector who object to such technology inherently.

Even then, the current hegemony has lost over half the sector to insurrectionists and traitors. They are at their weakest upon game start and are basically set to fall.

True, the AI wars probably also got the Hegemony a bit miffed :)

The player doesn't have to agree with the Hegemony, it would depend on what direction the lore-writer would want to take the game. I personally end up at -100 to Hegemony in every game, so they don't really seem to come off as the faction the player is meant to support(?), moreover it would be insane to ignore the potential the AI could be when it comes to boosting the R&D potential of the sector. Given that the current timeline year is already centuries after the collapse, I don't think anyone believes the Domain is coming back.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 06:56:17 AM »

would be insane to ignore the potential the AI could be when it comes to boosting the R&D potential of the sector.

Are you the Skynet?

Spoiler
[close]
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 07:04:15 AM »

The player doesn't have to agree with the Hegemony, it would depend on what direction the lore-writer would want to take the game. I personally end up at -100 to Hegemony in every game, so they don't really seem to come off as the faction the player is meant to support(?), moreover it would be insane to ignore the potential the AI could be when it comes to boosting the R&D potential of the sector. Given that the current timeline year is already centuries after the collapse, I don't think anyone believes the Domain is coming back.

Well the Hegemony outside of the memes never enforces anything unreasonable upon the player, and through the tutorial start you start off with pretty good relations at that. Not that they are the good guys as they are brutally militaristic. They will investigate fleeing radicals and terrorists moving into your free ports, as does the luddite church, which isn't that far wrong in it's essence anyway. They will never raid you for your market control, and are more then happy to let you build an economic juggernaut across the sector. They will inspect for AI cores because that's on them willing the AI wars and setting the sector wide "rules" regarding them. I suppose if you fight them for that you are essentially starting the next big AI war.

They are the least perfidious of the factions, unless the church are perhaps more accepting of you? (I think they might inspect you for the same things if the hegemony don't.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »

I eventually end up with -100 with everyone (until they are all dead), because they do not want to leave me alone, and Indies are dumb enough to join with the enemy when I sat bomb some major factions' worlds to make the expedition spam stop.  When zombie pirates keep raiding their worlds successfully, and yet they want to keep trying to ruin my colonies after I save them, I am more than willing to let the pirates eat all of the core worlds, if I do not sat bomb all of them out of their misery first due to me running out of patience.

Hegemony and Church are terrible hypocrites, raiding my Free Markets, but nobody else's, including those from Indies (who are smaller than me) and pirates (who are part of the zombie infestation) and Tri-Tachyon (their mortal enemies, yet they send more invaders at me than at them).  Since both are part of the cowardly civilians that let the zombie pirate juggernaut eat their worlds, they eventually die.

I do not care so much about income as I do population growth and maybe keeping my miners happy.  I am not turning off Free Port just to slow down the expedition spam.  (They need to grow a brain and know when to cut their losses or die and lose everything.)  I would rather kill all of the core worlds to make them stop than to turn off Free Port.  Plus turning off Free Port does nothing for League/Diktat/TT.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:19:57 AM by Megas »

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »

Well the Hegemony outside of the memes never enforces anything unreasonable upon the player, and through the tutorial start you start off with pretty good relations at that. Not that they are the good guys as they are brutally militaristic. They will investigate fleeing radicals and terrorists moving into your free ports, as does the luddite church, which isn't that far wrong in it's essence anyway. They will never raid you for your market control, and are more then happy to let you build an economic juggernaut across the sector. They will inspect for AI cores because that's on them willing the AI wars and setting the sector wide "rules" regarding them. I suppose if you fight them for that you are essentially starting the next big AI war.

They are the least perfidious of the factions, unless the church are perhaps more accepting of you? (I think they might inspect you for the same things if the hegemony don't.)

With that you raise a very good point. I usually get very much caught up in trying not to get rekt by the pirates, so I outfit  colony admin slots, orbital stations and high commands with alphas as soon as I get the chance (it really does make a big difference), but in turn that provokes the Hegemony. Unfortunately it seems to be worth the trade-off because the pirates can and will overwhelm defenses that aren't as strong as possible. I usually end up having decent relations with most factions, except for Hegemony. A bounty or two, or a blown up pirate/LP base will quickly recover the lost rep from the occasional market share expeditions.

And partially what Megas said that the pirate threat is really so prevalent that you will likely end up going against some of the sector 'rules', hence the use of Alpha Cores in all defensive buildings and admin slots

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »

I would use cores because I do not want to waste nine to twelve skill points in colony skills when I can get the skills for free.  Plus, I like building a big empire, and cores let player colonizes more than a few worlds.

Inspections are annoying, but Pather cells are worse... or would be if they were not bugged.  Pathers are zombies just like pirates, but the sabotage bug means the worst they can do is -1 stability, and that is a good bug because now I can dedicate all skills to combat and Navigation.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 07:40:10 AM »

I would use cores because I do not want to waste nine to twelve skill points in colony skills when I can get the skills for free.  Plus, I like building a big empire, and cores let player colonizes more than a few worlds.

Inspections are annoying, but Pather cells are worse... or would be if they were not bugged.  Pathers are zombies just like pirates, but the sabotage bug means the worst they can do is -1 stability, and that is a good bug because now I can dedicate all skills to combat and Navigation.

I get the metaphor you use for the pirates but ever since the Panthers got bugged there is basically 0 reason to fight them. A basic stability hit is nothing at all when faced with raiding disruptions caused by pop-up pirate bases. (And yeah I think we all agree that pirate raids are way too strong right now, producing fleets way in excess of even the largest faction expeditions. One capital fleet at max in my option.)

I can't half the Hege to a higher standard when empire building with AI cores. At that point they basically should try to stop you from forging a new Domain of Man.

Otherwise in my current game I went for a least offensive colony possible with no free port, no industries, no AI cores and was still raided by the pirates for the 1,000 credits a month the colony made in net profits! Now that I have a Orbital works the 3 main culprits now raid me over that production, and pirates are ever present but otherwise no one else is all that bothered at all!

I would consider that to be the 'basic' game-play of colonies, obviously with more industries then my minimalist play. Pirates are my enemy and the League, Diktat (rarely), and TT are dubious trading partners who will raid me while I protect their colonies from pirate mega swarms, The Church and Hege are really chill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 08:13:18 AM »

I get the metaphor you use for the pirates but ever since the Panthers got bugged there is basically 0 reason to fight them. A basic stability hit is nothing at all when faced with raiding disruptions caused by pop-up pirate bases. (And yeah I think we all agree that pirate raids are way too strong right now, producing fleets way in excess of even the largest faction expeditions. One capital fleet at max in my option.)
That is why the Pather bug is great.  I do not need to hunt them down, and they do not break core worlds that are stable enough.  That was why I wrote "Pather cells are worse... or would be if they were not bugged."  If we had to fight them, we would have two zombie hordes to deal with instead of one.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »

Imo, we also need reworked reputation system...

May be separate rep for player as a person and for player's faction. And some mechanism that could affect relations between factions. Something like that we already have in Nex, but on basic level.
Spoiler
[close]

dead_hand

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 04:51:17 AM »

Imo, we also need reworked reputation system...

May be separate rep for player as a person and for player's faction. And some mechanism that could affect relations between factions. Something like that we already have in Nex, but on basic level.

Or if the reputation you gain/lose with individual officers and station administrator would have any real effects. E.g. maybe the Hegemony hates you in general, but you kept managing to feed Ancyra while pirates besieged it, the fleets spawned from that planet wouldn't attack you, even if the faction generally despises you.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 11:30:20 AM »

I suggested something similar a while ago
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17955.msg281417#msg281417

Alex seemed open to it, so there's a chance it could happen.
Pages: 1 [2]