Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Lack of soul.  (Read 1926 times)

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Lack of soul.
« on: April 24, 2020, 08:37:46 AM »

I have some fun with kitbashing last days. Some are good. Some are not. But this particular hull is weird, it's kind of OK, but it kind of empty at the same time.

It have no soul what ever I do to it. Like insipid porridge without even salt.

Spoiler
[close]

I am unable to determine what exactly is wrong. Can anyone help?
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of soul.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:40:32 AM »

In my opinion,  the design outline and structure looks fine, but the color scheme feels a little off. I'm not a big fan of the brown color used in the middle of the ship and near the tail. It looks kind of disconnected from the blue color scheme used on the rest of the ship.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 08:44:48 AM »

It's a little cluttered with a lot of stuff going on on the surface, and the general shape is odd. There also seems to but cut away sections at the top that expose stuff that is kinda strange. The bottom small mounts look too close together. Basically it kinda looks really jagged? And bumpy, which doesn't really fit the high tech hulls in my opinion.

Most ships start off with a simple design sketch of shape and style, where as here you are obviously working backwards with kit-bashing until you find something that works. I'd reccormend getting some paper or something to roughly sketch the shape you want and then find the parts to fill it.

But I am no authority on design. Or anything at all really.  ;)
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 09:17:08 AM »

blue color scheme used on the rest of the ship.

Actually, it is not repainted yet. Not sure if it will be blue.

It's a joke, but who knows.
[close]

Basically it kinda looks really jagged? And bumpy, which doesn't really fit the high tech hulls in my opinion.

Agree. But it is something really hard to fix now. It easier to make a new. Seriously. I'll try some cosmetics later.

The bottom small mounts look too close together

Done.
Spoiler
[close]

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »

Dunno, man, honestly looks good to me as it is. Doesn't quite fit with the vanilla high-tech, but it's exactly how I would imagine a ship in a hypothetical design line between mid and high looks like. So maybe instead of remaking this one make a few more in a smilar style?

Edit: I also really like the brown parts. It kinda looks like a brown ship encased in blue armor. Maybe even double down on the theme and make those secondary "holes" on the top piece brown as well.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 11:06:40 AM by Amoebka »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 11:07:43 AM »

I want lobster now.

Kidding, it looks good. I like the tail and the hangars. I would do something to the front though. The gun emplacements and bridge section are nice, but the general outline is a bit too bulky and you can see the curves are not as clean. What if you molded it more closely to the turrets, like Odyssey?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »

hypothetical design line between mid and high

That is exactly what it is intended to be. Middle hardpoint is a large ballistic. That is why that exposed things - different tech does not fit completely, causing crappy armoring. But it still has no soul.

Tried to repaint it into full hight-tech. It became boring.

Spoiler

[close]

What if you molded it more closely to the turrets, like Odyssey?

That was initial design. And it looks even more fragile, as now.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »

Yeah, sorry, but if a random viewer can instanly guess what the ship is supposed to represent by looking at it, then it means the ship is well designed and the "lack of soul" is irrelevant. Since when are artists allowed to judge their own art anyway?  ???

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »

Since when are artists allowed to judge their own art anyway?

Since 1964.
]
[close]

Since when kitbashing is an art?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »

The parts that are green in the recolored image make the thing kinda look like a space abomination from your favorite anime. It gives it a bit of an organic quality to the stuff under the armor. Space Abominations are soulless hence the connection.

One thing is that there are these cables that are there and they're the same color as the brown. If you can color those cables differently and/or modify the brown in some way so that it doesn't look like an organic husk then the ship will look better.

The very lobster-tail and manta-rayness of it isn't helping either on that front. Maybe remove some symmetry and put the fighter bays on one side?

tomatopaste

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

I have some fun with kitbashing last days. Some are good. Some are not. But this particular hull is weird, it's kind of OK, but it kind of empty at the same time.

It have no soul what ever I do to it. Like insipid porridge without even salt.

Spoiler
[close]

I am unable to determine what exactly is wrong. Can anyone help?

I'd recommend joining the discord server and posting your kitbash there, there are many helpful, experienced people that can provide good criticism and feedback. https://discord.gg/W9xRcE

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 08:42:10 PM »

look like a space abomination from your favorite anime.

My favorite anime does not contain any space abominations. Sorry.

Maybe remove some symmetry and put the fighter bays on one side?

Oh, dude, that really gives it a flavor. Unfortunately, it is a flavor of ***. But you point me into right direction, I think. Thank you.
Spoiler
[close]

I'd recommend joining the discord server and posting your kitbash there, there are many helpful, experienced people that can provide good criticism and feedback.

I have some trouble with a discord. Probably it does not like my IP or else.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:47:46 PM by Mondaymonkey »