Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Planetary Systems that are 'off the grid'  (Read 1984 times)

Drazhya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Planetary Systems that are 'off the grid'
« on: April 23, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »

As in, no gravity wells that access the system. No sun, no gas giants, no jump points, only nascent gravity wells. Maybe only one or two of these, maybe as quest locations, but I think it would be neat to have such systems. Colonies on planets in these systems would probably be unable to access the global market, so would make minimal money and have minimal accessibility, but they would never be threatened by other factions.

To go along with this, a new utility ship that allows captains to use Transverse Jump without having a very particular set of skills, allowing them access to these systems and making the Navigation skill less incredibly valuable.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Planetary Systems that are 'off the grid'
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:10:37 AM »

That just screams "players can hardlock themselves into a fail state".

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »

That just screams "players can hardlock themselves into a fail state".

Does it?  If you can only jump in or out with transverse jump, then you have a way in and out.  Putting the ability on a SHIP is what screams "fail state" though because if you lose the ship in-system then yeah you'd be stranded.  The idea of "hidden" systems is definitely intriguing though; a lot of fun is in the search and most things in the game don't exactly hide well, especially given how easy it is to narrow down things by your intel.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »

You can kill yourself on some enemies, if present. Otherwise, you can always jettison all your supplies (and prolly all other cargo too, so it isn't lost), mothball all your ships for a day and restore them, then wait until malfunctions kill you.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 02:12:50 AM »

You can kill yourself on some enemies, if present. Otherwise, you can always jettison all your supplies (and prolly all other cargo too, so it isn't lost), mothball all your ships for a day and restore them, then wait until malfunctions kill you.
You could, of course, but the game shouldn't demand something like that.

Much easier to just have one-way jumpgates leading out of the system but not into it.

Prolbo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:02:42 PM »

It sounds like a plot for a third-rate space fantasy, in which inhuman experiments on people are carried out on a super secret military research space station hidden in a system cut off from a normal hyperspace.

I like it.

Drazhya

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »

There are a lot of storylines that could start or end with 'in a dark corner of the sector, in a planetary system few can access and fewer know even exists...' I was thinking more like derelicts or exotic materials than active human presence, but that would be neat too.

And yeah, I hadn't thought of one-way jump points, but that could work. Would probably need to be fuelless to get around a lack of distress call functionality. If you jump out without fuel, you fall into the nearest gravity well, which isn't this system, and then you can distress call.

It also occurs to me that Transverse Jump could be changed into a quest reward. Still not immediately available to every player, still not something that most npc captains can be expected to have, and not contributing to making one particular skill unbelievably valuable. Though then it becomes less 'yeah my guy is super-skilled and so can do this' and more 'yeah my guy learned this super-secret trademarked skill' since you'd be learning it from someone/something else.

And an exploration marker once you've entered the system for the first time, so can keep track of where it is.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 05:36:29 PM by Drazhya »

Henco Hawkins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 10:23:20 AM »

Why not just have a system that Tri-Tach or the Hedge has purged from the log books so that they can do experiments in. It would just be another system that you can access normally but it isn't seen on the map screen ( and is probably in a corner of the map so you don't stumble across it accidentally early on). Maybe you could even be invited to it if you're friendly enough with the faction to get a special, faction specific mod