Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Modifying the Planet Building Hard Cap (very useful if you have certain mods)  (Read 1386 times)

Droidhacker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Late last night (or early this morning) I was successful in modifying the limit on the max number of buildings.  I was even able to resize the icons so you could see all of the buildings.  I did this because I have the mods Terraforming and stations and Industrial evolution and thought it silly that a planet of 10 billion people could only have 12 buildings, especially with all the new buildings in those mods.  Now I havent done any balancing yet, it was mostly a proof of concept.  I am hoping the AI can make of use of this too, if not I will have to try and modify the AI otherwise it would be extremely unfair. My goal was to try and make planets more powerful and to increase their economic potential.  I wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested in the mod and I only posted this because I saw a bunch of people on the Starsector Reddit lamenting the building limit.

I haven't posted a file yet as to do this you have to edit the game's base .jars and I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea to post without getting permission as since the .jar is packaged posting it online would be posting a lot of Alex's code that I have not altered too.  Now anyone downloading this edit already has these .jars, but I just thought it would be a good idea to ask first.  I was thinking if I do post it I would do it on something private like Google Drive which I could then link here but nobody else could get it.  If I cannot post it or people want to do it themselves now I can explain how to because its pretty darn easy if I could do it.  I have almost no java programming experience.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:42:23 PM by Droidhacker »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hi - yeah, I'm sorry to disappoint, but distributing this kind of modification is against the license. It's kind of a can of worms; these kinds of changes can introduce bugs that are difficult to track down, and, needless to say, there's no reasonable way multiple mods could make these kinds of changes and coexist.

That said, welcome to the forum!

Droidhacker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ok I understand, I didnt expect that of all people on this forum for you to be the first to comment on this!  This game is freaking great! Seriously, this game is a gem,  the art, the world, the features, all great and very consistent. The best thing in my opinion is the battle system, there is so much more depth in it than other games. But yeah changing hardcoded variables does not for a stable game make lol. This is one of those things that done wrong can really screw things up

I do have to ask though, how on earth did you make files that have the same name?  Did you program this game on another operating system that is case sensitive?  Or did you run it through some kind of encryption to protect your work?  I am just curious, I have never seen that in my entire life!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:13:30 AM by Droidhacker »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Thank you for understanding :) Glad you're into the game!

I do have to ask though, how on earth did you make files that have the same name?  Did you program this game on another operating system that is case sensitive?  Or did you run it through some kind of encryption to protect your work?  I am just curious, I have never seen that in my entire life!

Ah - the general concept (if you're not familiar) is code obfuscation; there are tools that do this to jar files, doing all sorts of things to muck it up and make decompiling somewhat more difficult (though clearly not impossible).

Droidhacker

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Ah thats what I thought you were doing, I didn't know that windows would allow such a thing, but assume that was done as the .jar was being built so that the files names were changed after they were packaged.  The planet building limit and icon sizes were all that I modified.  I dont really have the java skills to modify much else, and I just really hate any and ALL limits in games, its borderline a problem hahaha.  If you have ever heard of the game Kingdoms and Castles I almost completely redid it and removed collision limits allowing me to stack any building on any other building.  You are my modding hero for the config file to edit all those options!  That is so great I wish all games did that.

Edit:  For the mods this thread can be locked or deleted if you guys want to.  If anyone needs to know how to do this you can find me on the unofficial discord.  Do not make a bug report if you do this to your game!!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:06:20 PM by Droidhacker »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah thats what I thought you were doing, I didn't know that windows would allow such a thing, but assume that was done as the .jar was being built so that the files names were changed after they were packaged.

(Yeah, exactly.)