Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)  (Read 6187 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)
« on: April 19, 2020, 02:12:25 PM »

https://twitter.com/i/status/1251963943549108225

So from what I can tell upfront it has 1 large missile and energy, 4 small energy and 2 medium ballistic. On the sides it has two smalls (empty in GIF) and at the rear we have two small energy. Not sure if some are hybrid/universal/composite or what have you. Looks like a powerful ship at first glance!

The slots that jump out @ me are obviously the large energy and missile along with the 2 medium ballistic—just those slots alone I can think of some powerful sets. The first that comes to mind is a Squall or Sabot Pod in the missile to burst down shields and backed up with a HIL or Autopulse to eat through armor and hull. The medium ballistics could be all sorts of things like needlers/flaks/maulers/HVDs.

Does that pink glow on the energy mounts mean High Energy Focus ship system? Not a bad system but means the ship will be built around what you put into that large energy, if so. As far as ship systems in general, I feel Alex needs to put out a few new ones! Some are being reused pretty heavily.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Loadouts for new midline heavy cruiser (Alex's Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 02:15:00 PM »

1 large missile, 1 large energy, 2 medium hybrid, 8 small energy.
Yes, it has HEF. I don't mind systems being reused, no need to reinvent the wheel. I wonder if the new light high-tech cruiser will have a new system or not.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 02:15:51 PM »

4 tac lasers + HIL + 2 HVD for the 1000 range supression platform.

IR/ion + 2 heavy needlers + Autopulse for instant ship deletion. Probably with SO, too (and HMG instead of needlers? depends on the speed).

The large missile is ALWAYS hammer barrage.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 02:24:28 PM »

Oh yeah, you could fit it out for 1000 range pretty well. Though you'd need both the range boosting hull mods (one for the laser) to get it higher, huh?

Seems far more powerful than the Eagle, that is for sure. Wonder how much it'll cost to deploy.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »

Its a heavy cruiser so it will cost at least 25 (on par with the dominator) and likely more. The Domi has destroyer level flux stats as well so there is no guarantee it can reasonably fire a non-PD large energy(The Paladin supposedly got some flux buffs).

So as much as we're all salivating at the 2x HN, Plasma Cannon getup we want it to have that doesn't mean it would work. :P

Its also likely to have base speed lower than the Eagles 50 and with no mobility active that will make it hard to utilize the shorter range large energy weapons
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:31:15 PM by Goumindong »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 02:33:24 PM »

I wonder which faction will field them.

Hegemony seems likely. The League uses the conquest, so it's not impossible. I would doubt the TT, Pirates, Luddites 1 and 2. Possible independent but rare. And I don't know the kinds of fleets the Diktat use or the Lions Guard, or whatever they are called.

What do you lot think?
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »

Dominator is low-tech, that's why the flux stats are so bad. Midline is usually more about glass cannons. My guess is this cruiser has good dissipation but an inefficient shield, like Sunder.

I bet it will be 28 DP. Has to be more than Dominator, can't be more than Aurora.

Please no Hegemony, they already have enough stuff! Give Diktat or League some love. Probably Diktat, league seems to be more about carriers.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 02:41:48 PM »

alex why would you do this
why would you make a cruiser that can mount a high intensity laser and two medium kinetics
and a large missile on top
i can't believe you've done this

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:02 PM »

Just so everybody knows, Alex said it has the same DP as the Dom, so 25.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:44 PM »

Petition to name the new heavy cruiser "elves"

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »

I think it all comes down to flux stats for this ship. The mount combination is incredibly good in terms of damage types, but it remains to be seen how comfortably it can use them. The Dominator (while a good ship) has a lot less firepower than its mounts would indicate because of its flux budget.

I can't really think of any situation I'd use those mediums for energy instead of ballistic though.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »

I can't really think of any situation I'd use those mediums for energy instead of ballistic though.
Well it does have HEF as its system. Maybe an SO build with only energy weapons could work? The ship is probably too slow for that but you never know how it'll work out.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 03:15:15 PM »

If the only hybrid slots are the 2 medium up front then that seems pretty strange. Some of the smalls should be hybrids too.

But yeah, what does Eagle have over this? It's uh, faster? Honestly, the energy mounts on the Eagle need to be the ones up front because they have the short range—I always end up putting beams in those slots because of it.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 03:35:52 PM »

If the only hybrid slots are the 2 medium up front then that seems pretty strange. Some of the smalls should be hybrids too.

But yeah, what does Eagle have over this? It's uh, faster? Honestly, the energy mounts on the Eagle need to be the ones up front because they have the short range—I always end up putting beams in those slots because of it.

Its probably much faster. Especially in changing direction. It also has far more net medium slots (6!) and therefore far more effective standoff range. Its going to be legit hard to compete with the falcon/eagle for fleet cruiser use

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »

As this is a heavy cruiser, I'm guessing it has a bit lower speed then the Eagle in addition to not having maneuvering jets. In practice then it will be quite a bit slower and also not particularly capable of backing off when overextended.

The medium energy slots on the Eagle... well they are flexible at least. I wouldn't put pulse lasers or heavy blasters on them if I could at all help it, but they are quite good for graviton/phase lance/ion beam. Or just more small PD: 6x LRPD + IPDAI is a bit odd but gives a nice 800*1.4 range zone of missile protection for everything around it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4