Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: (Mod Under Construction) Awakened Empire  (Read 899 times)

Stuffwriter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
(Mod Under Construction) Awakened Empire
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:17:19 AM »

I am in the process of constructing my first mod. I decided to use one of my favorite series as the basis for this mod, Panzer Dragoon. I am seeking feedback on my sprite building and concepting at this point, so please leave a comment.

The ships of the Awakened Empire are (at least by my intent) based on the ships of the resurgent empires that are common in the Panzer Dragoon games. The general idea is that an ancient weapons production facility is rediscovered by nomads, and this leads to the creation of a new empire. This empire is cruel, dangerous, and metastasizes across the world very rapidly, crushing all in its path with new soldiers and old weapons.

Naturally, such cruelty would fit right into the persean sector. It's not hard to imagine some ancient facility being uncovered that can produce super weird ships.

There is hope, however. Legends speak of an ancient dragon a from before the first domain ships even arrived, a heroic presence that will rise to meet the resurgent empire and bury it in the ashes of history, like those that came before. 

Ship Visual Design
The ships of the Awakened Empire don't look like anything else in the sector. They appear to be hulks of stone and scrap metal, and at first glance they look even more rickety than pirate ships. In reality, these vessels are incredibly difficult to destroy and far faster than they appear.

Faction gameplay specifics

Strengths
- All Awakened Empire vessels are durable. This means high hull points and armor for their size across the board
- Despite the huge bulk of stone and metal, their vessels are surprisingly quick - just above low tech speed
- Awakened Empire ships have the most powerful shields in the sector for damage absorption, but their shield coverage is awful. The intent is to block the most damaging attacks with the small shield and let others bounce off the armor
- higher than average cargo and fuel holds

Weaknesses
- Very small radius shields making protecting the vessels from multiple attackers difficult
- Weakness with flanking in general
- These ships don't have many weapon mounts for their size or have poor arcs of fire due to their strange construction
- High deployment costs

What I have done now
- Several ships are playable. They are depicted below. Note that I have not made this ships available because it's simply too early in the process. There are no guns, they use ship systems from the original game, and the sprites are likely not final.

Goals
- More ships (a whole fleet)
- Custom weapons and fighter wings
- Custom hullmods
- An event where the dragon, an ancient frigate with absolutely absurd combat capabilities, will attempt to eliminate the Awakened Empire from the game

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:49:17 AM by Stuffwriter »