Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Help with mod tweaking  (Read 586 times)

Sterdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Help with mod tweaking
« on: April 12, 2020, 03:45:14 AM »

I don't understand java very well, but I've been playing around in some modfolders tweaking shipstats and the like.

I decided I wanted to add essentially some duplicate ships that I fiddle copy/paste fiddle with in the skins/variants file that can only be accessed via console for personal use on some role play starts.

So far I made the ship and got it working, but I wanted to make a special hullmod for it, so I made the icon, worked, but when I got to the script I wanted to tweak slightly I'm having a bit of trouble. I'm trying to modify the script for the Merchant Marine faction hullmod from Vayra's sector (or make something from scratch that's similar) to have less armor but no maneuverability debuff and then rename it and put that new hullmod on the ship I made. Problem is even If I copy the script entirely with no changes I'm getting a crash on startup, I know It's probably something simple I'm unaware of, so I'm wondering if anyone knows what the problem is.

Reason I'm using Vayra's sector is that the ship I've messed around with is from that mod.

Also, tried to install Netbeans, it's being a pain to install and frankly I don't feel like going through a million google searches to find out the solution to THAT problem.

I'm using Notepad++ and so far it's worked for most of the tweaking I've done. Your advice is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:10:47 PM by Sterdude »

Alluvian

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Help with mod tweaking
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »

Making hullmods requires compiling the *.java files into class files and packaging them in a *.jar file.

The following thread ha some good info on this process: https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10057.0

Sterdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Help with mod tweaking
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:17:57 PM »

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll check that out.