Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Modding  (Read 1688 times)

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Modding
« on: April 11, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »

How relatively hard is modding?  After I finish my college semester(and hopefully graduate) I want to look into modding the game.

I want to make a total conversion mod eventually, in the Babylon 5 universe.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Modding
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »

Sound like a toast! I have a bottle of brivari. ©
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 02:51:09 PM »

Depends on the skills you come in with, I've never gotten anywhere with modding, while small mods with a kit bashed ship can take days to months for some people.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »

Getting into modding is really easy. There's a LOT to learn of course, and a pretty massive scope for what's possible, and you'll probably spend months, even years building up to something cool - I have. Starsector's one of those games where starting out with the basics (making ships and weapons etc.) is super easy to grasp, but there's a huge scale up to the craziest of mechanics. Somewhere in there is faction modding and, fairly high up, Total Conversion mods.

There's a whole category for Modding in this forum, and one of the best places to pickup the basic skills is the Unofficial Starsector Discord where you'll find heaps of other modders willing to point you in the right direction.

In short, Starsector modding has a very low skill floor, and an equally high skill ceiling. It's real easy to pickup the basics, and given time and practise and refinement of content design ideas, eventually you'll be creating incredible things.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »

Most people underestimate the amount of time they're going to spend on getting to the basics - making interesting ships and weapons, balancing them, bugfixing, and maintaining their core content through an update - and vastly underestimate the difficulty of making a total conversion.

So my advice would be; just focus on making a simple faction mod's worth of stuff. Just see if you can do that. TCs are fun to imagine but almost certainly not a good idea at this stage of the base game's development; your ideas could be invalidated by a core gameplay feature that can't be coded around, so it's best to start learning the API and design space first, and then commit to ambitious projects once you have a better idea of what you're letting yourself in for.

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:37:34 AM »

How relatively hard is modding? 
easy

I want to make a total conversion mod eventually, in the Babylon 5 universe.

difficult

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 01:35:10 AM »

Just to put some numbers out and keep things into perspective...

Small ship/weapon pack mod (just a handful of items):
50-100 hours of work starting from scratch. No skill required, only enough curiosity to look in the game files.

Faction mod of reasonable scope (simple roaster of ships and weapons, no special campaign stuff):
100-300 hours of work. Better have some basic spriting skills because it takes time but that's not really mandatory.

Advanced faction mod / advanced ship & weapons pack (custom campaign features, funky ship systems and weapons):
300-1000 hours of work depending on the scope, sub-factions, and the level of intricacy of the planned features. Better have some intimate knowledge of the API and the game's mechanics under the hood. Having either some prior spriting or coding experience really does ease up getting over the initial cliff.

Total Conversions (as in a full replacement of the vanilla factions with different ones with a similar scope and depth):
1000s hours of work. The sky's the limit there. Some coding experience may prove invaluable, unless the TC stays close to the vanilla mechanics and only changes the setting of the game. Ludicrous amount of artworks to put out, including ship sprites, planet textures, illustrations, the complete package. Better form a team because otherwise, the motivation will become an issue.

And that's just the work required for the initial release. Then you get into expanding your mod and all the troubles of maintaining it over the years, across the game's updates and through cross-mods compatibility hurdles.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:48:37 AM by Tartiflette »

Buscher

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 06:29:04 AM »

It's interesting to say the least. I am currently learning the ins and outs of the coding possibilities. So if you don't mind Java and a bit of reverse engineering you should be golden.

For curiosity's sake I am trying to make the most boring mod ever. By that I mean a clean slate for TCs with the least number of systems, factions, ship and weapons. Now only Corvus exists besides the random generated ones and I dropped all parties but the Hegemony, Perseans (which was a good choice because Tritachyon is good exercise to remove), Independents and Pirates. Maybe I am going to write a round up and provide a working state.

[attachment deleted by admin]