Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: a close-range phase-tech Capital ship that can force enemy ships to burn-drive  (Read 691 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

dunno why I thought of this but a neat idea for a phase-tech capital ship with an on-brand ship ability that wouldn't be absurdly overpowered to match with the ship's scale would be if it had short range from lots of small mounts that it made up for with above-average flux generation and can force an enemy ship to burn drive locking in their trajectory & forcing them to advance, preventing some enemies from escaping or forcing enemies with an advantage at range from having more medium/large mounts to advance into range of this ship's numerous small mounts
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Thx satan, that sounds like the most obnoxious ability one could think of, I'd rather be overloaded and then showered with reapers then watch my ship helplessly zoom into the enemy's whole damn fleet. Not to say your idea is bad or lacks imagination, I just think it's too evil for this game. Btw there was a recent thread about a potential phase capital, I believe there were also some good ideas that weren't rage quit worthy.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

How will this phase capital avoid taking damage?  I imagine it would be slow enough that it cannot outmaneuver enemies (to bypass shields) or run from enemies (to vent safely).  The only reason Doom can get away being not so fast is its mines.  Doom was mediocre at best before it got Mine Strike (excluding that one release with infinite Fast Missiles Rack and Salamanders combo).

The system sounds worse than Doom's last system Interdiction Array (which disabled some of the enemies engines), except either the ship will probably be flung away (which cowards want), or sent crashing into the user like a bullet and both take ramming damage.  In any case, it does not seem to help the user escape from enemies that want to swarm the user.

For something that is unusual and maybe effective, just no system, but a builtin hullmod that eliminates all phase cooldown for classic ghost cloak.

The old phase cloak was better for brawling, and I really miss that from phase ships, especially for AI use.  All non-Doom phase ships are good for all as player-piloted bombers.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile

Some kind of command-grab teleport seems more 'on-brand' for a phase ship than force-activating a ship system that the target ship may not even have.

Off the top of my head, a ship system like this could:
1) force the target temporarily into phase space, cancelling all fire cycles, venting, etc.
2) 'drag' the submerged ship, leaving behind afterimages to indicate direction of travel
3) return the ship to normal space about 400-500su from the parent ship.

Some EMP arcing or engine failures to go along would help sell the whole 'ripped through dimensions' flavor.