Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: CR weaponary  (Read 641 times)

Quasarlight

• Ensign
    • View Profile
CR weaponary
« on: April 05, 2020, 01:53:48 AM »

Hi Spacers,

I was thinking about, why aren't there any weapons that lower CR? In my understanding CR corresponds to how your crew is maintaining the ship during battle. A weapon that can penetrate armor and spread some kind of bio-weapon on the ship. (Damage over time) Remnants, logically, would not be affected.

It would open up the possibility for new hull-mods and new strategies for ships that are not very powerful, but can outlast their opponents.

What do you think?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: CR weaponary
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 02:13:13 AM »

1. Unrealistic. If I was a space engineer, designing battleship, I would probably make a big red button for the captain to seal all the compartments in case of sudden decompression (or decease). Bio weapon would not be effective.

2. CR currently is mostly about malfunctions and less for the performance. If you need to make enemies to suffer malfunctions - there are already lot of EMP weapons, able to cripple most of a ships.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 02:39:48 AM »

I don't like hard counters. So, no weapon immunities, no weapons that exist solely to screw phased ships, no weapons that can only damage shields or can't damage shields at all, can't or can hit only fighters, etc. Specialization is good, but weapons should have some degree of usability even against wrong targets.

Weapons that explicitly damage CR would likely be a balance mess. Either too good or useless except as player harassment tool.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 07:01:05 AM »

Stall wars should not be encouraged.

Also, ships breaking down after one fight because CR went from full to malfunction level is not fun.  CR in early 0.6 releases was awful.