Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Commerce up the wazoo!  (Read 2254 times)

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Commerce up the wazoo!
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:37:45 PM »

I have a decent 5 planet solar system with a toxic, volcanic, desert and 2x Terran planets.  Is more than one commerce industry something I should at all consider?  Is there any benefit to that?

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Commerce up the wazoo!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

I have a decent 5 planet solar system with a toxic, volcanic, desert and 2x Terran planets.  Is more than one commerce industry something I should at all consider?  Is there any benefit to that?

I don't have a single commerce building on my colonies, it's better to have a extra Central Comand or a Orbital works than to have even one commerce building, so no or in laymns therms:

Commerce is useless

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 01:20:56 PM »

Sometimes I build commerce on my home colony so that I can get rid of junk in between exploration expeditions, but I've modified the game files to change it to a structure in my game because it is 100% not worth an industry slot.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:05:03 PM »

Come to think of it, I wonder if the stability bonus from Commerce is worth it in the endgame after core worlds are all destroyed and some of your systems suffer a permanent -3/50% from pirate activity.  (At that point, the challenge is to grind Ordos for cores and colonize the entire sector.)

During conventional play, I would not build commerce at all, unless I cannot destroy pirate bases for some reason (like being friends with them).  If I am enemies with pirates, I prefer to sell my junk to a nearby pop-up pirate base (before I raid and kill it) where there are no tariffs, and maybe buy personnel below market price while I am at it.

In any case, I would never want to build Commerce in my primary colony or anywhere where I routinely rummage through storage.  I highly dislike the default on Open Market on colonies with Commerce or default on Colony Resources or Storage for colonies without Commerce.  Basically, inconsistent UI and more clicks to access ship storage on commerce colonies.

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 05:20:52 PM »

Commerce is alright for the aforementioned junk unloading. What I like it for(even though I rarely build it) is it has a ship market and occasionally it has a ship you want from the blueprints you've collected already built and you don't have to wait for your orbital works to fabricate it. Or you come across another ship you forgot you had a blueprint for and decide to try it out.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:42 AM »

Sometimes I build commerce on my home colony so that I can get rid of junk in between exploration expeditions
Same. I also like it present to act as another source of fuel, supplies and crew on top of the waystation stock.
The tarriff is entirely irrelvant, as by the time you have a colony at all the 30% loss either way is utterly meaningless. Not once have I ever cared about it.

Commerce also provides you with a free 'preview' of various ships which have come out of your factories. Not guaranteed to be useful, but sometimes you'll find things there that are either helpful or interesting (in particular ships with beneficial D mods).
And none of this uses production capacity, it's just there.

Another thing you can use it for is rep-grinding with the independants. Buying/Selling a few thousand units of anything will get you a few points of rep, if that's something you ever need to do.

but I've modified the game files to change it to a structure in my game because it is 100% not worth an industry slot.
Also same. As much as I like the utility of commerce, the only way it's worth an industry slot is if you've already covered all your input needs. And that's not happening (usually) for quite a way into the game.
As a structure, I will 100% build it on my 'home' colony, and maybe somewhere else if I have cause to visit it occaisionally.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:40 AM »

Did you guys forgot that Commerce is getting completely changed? Not saying the discussion is meaningless but just mentioning in case some forgot.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 02:57:02 AM »

There's no obligation of everyone to follow Alex's twitter. Besides, how it helps them that it's going to be changed, if right now it is a pretty terrible industry?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:20 AM »

I mean that information was here but ok, guess we blame Alex for not putting current release changes lol. And it helps them because now they know it's getting changed, since it's terrible now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 05:11:30 AM »

Open ship market from Commerce is exactly why I dislike Commerce on my home colony.  Instead of default being on storage, it is now on Open Market.

I am not sure if new Commerce will be good, with the stability penalties.  Stability affects fleet size and ship quality, which is important for colony defense, and if expeditions stay the way they are, then military base/high command will still be an industry tax for basic planetary defense, at least until player or pirates destroy all core worlds.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:03 AM »

Can someone link the description/discussion of new commerce, I haven't seen it.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 07:45:20 AM »

Apparently I did see it because I commented on the thread :). I guess my memory is bad.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 10:47:35 AM »

About new Commerce.  I vaguely remember someone pointing out that since there will be no bonus income for stability higher than 5, that income from colonies will be lower than it is now unless we have Commerce built.  Today, we get about +50% from 10 stability.  Next release, we only get that with the Commerce industry.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 06:55:39 AM »

About new Commerce.  I vaguely remember someone pointing out that since there will be no bonus income for stability higher than 5, that income from colonies will be lower than it is now unless we have Commerce built.  Today, we get about +50% from 10 stability.  Next release, we only get that with the Commerce industry.

It sounds like a real kick in the bad place.