Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: They didn't saw what hit them. None a less they hatin  (Read 977 times)

Prolbo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
They didn't saw what hit them. None a less they hatin
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »

So, the problem is that you and your precious fleet can be as stealthy as phaseship armada inside the nebula in orbit of a black hole, but everyone in the galaxy still knows who doing things.
How it even possible? I mean, I can understand or imagine wich mechanics sit behind it, I can imagine and justify in-game "intel leaks" and other stuff, but... What the hell, rly, how everyone in the galaxy know about all the things I do?
Someone killed pirats? - it's him!
Someone picked RNG fleet it outer space? - it was him!
Someone crushed flet in the deep hyperspace in the middle of the hyperstorm? - ofc it's him!
Someone shelled to hell Luudic Path fortress out of nowhere? - pff, it was him!
Someone sneak picked fleet working out of planet's magnetic field? - you know who it was...

Maybe there should be some way to conseal your identity?
Like get into system completely unnoticed, transponder OFF, changed fleet composition(?), stay unnoticed by all the other fleets wich you didnt intended to crush completely, do your things, then get out in the same ninja way and change fleet composition one again. Or something like it.

IronBorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: They didn't saw what hit them. None a less they hatin
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »

If you are a fan of the Expanse, they are able to identify ships by drive signals. I assume the ships if your fleet all have unique drive signals that allow for an approximate identification. It isn't 100%, but can be enough to point the finger at.

Edit:
But there should be situations where identification are virtually impossible, like you mentioned. Being in deep space in a hyperspace storm with no com relays anywhere nearby. If the fleet is totally destroyed with no vessels escaping, you shouldn't be identified.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:38:30 AM by IronBorn »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »

Maybe there should be some way to conseal your identity?
Like get into system completely unnoticed, transponder OFF, changed fleet composition(?), stay unnoticed by all the other fleets wich you didnt intended to crush completely, do your things, then get out in the same ninja way and change fleet composition one again. Or something like it.

Hi there! Could you describe what happened in more detail? Because all of that is already in the game: if they don't see your transponder, they don't know for sure who they are. There are minor rep penalties that represent rumors/unconfirmed reports of a fleet doing things that matches your description, but these are really very minor. For example, slaughtering an entire faction battle fleet to harvest their ships and guns is only -5 (or something like that).

toasterific

• Ensign
  • Hey hey people
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 02:56:01 PM »

you gotta like, eliminate the witnesses, my guy

THEN you can totally be sneaky
help

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 06:17:14 AM »

In the pre-fight dialogue it'll tell you if the target knows who you are. After an illegal act with transponder off, the transpoder tooltip will tell you if turning it on would reveal your crimes to anyone (and the button itself will also be marked).

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:24:40 PM »

If they know who you are, they broadcast that you attacked them.

If they don't know who you are they broadcast that they were attacked and then everyone is all "it was real suspicious how a fleet looking a lot like yours flew out of that combat zone and didn't get ambushed by the pirates/whatever that attacked these other people that sent a distress signal"

There are times where its altogether hilarious the amount you can hide your identity.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:37:06 PM »

There are times where its altogether hilarious the amount you can hide your identity.
Stations are really bad.  I turn off transponder off next to the planet, dock, stealth raid for blueprints, and leave.  Maybe turn transponder back on as I leave toward the jump point so an offscreen patrol does not try to pull my fleet over.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 01:50:46 PM »

Stations are really bad.  I turn off transponder off next to the planet, dock, stealth raid for blueprints, and leave.  Maybe turn transponder back on as I leave toward the jump point so an offscreen patrol does not try to pull my fleet over.
I mean I used a fleet full of Valkyries with insulated engines to minimize my sensor profile and perform stealth raids once any fleet is outside support range of the station, shutting off transponders in anything that obscures my profile with transponders on, even in a debris field after pirates got their engines handed to them, and then turn on transponders when the raid is done before any patrols spot me.

There are minor rep penalties that represent rumors/unconfirmed reports of a fleet doing things that matches your description, but these are really very minor. For example, slaughtering an entire faction battle fleet to harvest their ships and guns is only -5 (or something like that).

Heh, about that. Taking out a faction battle fleet is at least -5 if not -10. Emphasis on -10 minimum. If in system, unless hostile, 5 points are docked if the fleet approaches you for not having the transponder on, an extra 5 for refusing to comply, then another for fighting the fleet with value based on casualties inflicted, and then extras for additional engagements and pursuits.

I don't find that profitable. Yes, profitable, just not restricted to credits.