Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To Mjolnir or not to Mjolinr  (Read 2904 times)

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
To Mjolnir or not to Mjolinr
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:24:19 PM »

I got my hands on an Onslaught XIV and was wondering if the Mjolnir was any good versus the Hellebore or HAG as a primary weapon to take down ships.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: To Mjolnir or not to Mjolinr
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:36:24 PM »

Yes, use Mjolnir. Pile on the armor. Max out all the Combat skills. Laugh maniacally as you armor tank entire enemy fleets.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 02:39:05 PM »

Mjolnir is definitely good, buuut you'd have to be pretty light on flux with other weapons and max out your dissipation for it to be decent. Mjolnir is such a flux hog and Onslaught well, doesn't work too well with those.
Please don't take me too seriously.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »

A handy flowchart regarding using a Mjolnir...

"Do I have a Conquest?" ->
-> Yes -> Use it
-> No  -> Nope

:P

I think the Mjolnir is too much of a flux hog on anything but a Conquest. All low-tech ships with Large Ballistics (Onslaught, Legion, and Dominator) would punch themselves out before dealing any real damage. I'm tempted to try one on an Atlas Mk. II just for the lulz (and AAF) but I know that's just a gimmick.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »

I find that you can use one in the place of two other large ballistics and it works out just fine.

The player can easily do this by not firing more then one large ballistic weapon at the same time, the AI must be kitted to be unable to use more then one.

My onslaughts don't use the side large mounts any more, I stick heavy machine guns in them and all the medium slots, so I focus on manoeuvrability, the built in guns, and the central large ballistic mount. Which works fine for me!

Storm needlers and Mjolinr or whatever you like work just fine in that mount. Put an aggressive officer and you'll be getting into the enemies face just fine.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »

Mjolnir is good on Conquest.  My favorite ballistic combo on the side is Mjolnir, Heavy Needler, and Mark IX.  (Second medium ballistic is empty because of flux and range issues.)

For Dominator and Legion, Mjolnir and Heavy Needler (in a heavy mount), is decent substitute for the Mark IX and HAG combo.  Sure, Heavy Needler has 100 less range than Mjolnir, but it kills well enough.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 03:13:20 PM by Megas »

Kpop

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 04:38:10 PM »

Mjolnir on XIV onslaught is a staple for me personally. That said, I also slap shield bypass and stack armor hullmods on my onslaughts so the flux is a non-issue. So I only mount it in the forward large and put aegis flak cannons or devastators in the side mounts.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 04:39:41 PM by Kpop »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 04:42:43 PM »

I have found Mjolnir to be a good choice when I don't want to pack an HE weapon, as its shot size makes it decent against medium/high armor and keeps its DPS against hull high, while still maintaining acceptable anti-shield efficiency.

Some builds have already been mentioned, but Mjolnir + Mk IX on a Legion is a pretty good main gun package and the ship has the flux to fire them if it goes light on the rest (IE missiles/flaks in the composites).

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 08:16:11 PM »

Mjolnir is always a good choice for a general purpose main gun. The fact it deals Energy damage means it does the duty of both an HE and a Kinetic weapon, plus it offers a significant portion of EMP damage too. It's sustained damage output is highly respectable, a delicious mix IMHO between per-shot damage and fire rate.

However, as with all energy-damage weaponry it can't compete with dedicated anti-armour or anti-shield weaponry. It also generates a large amount of flux, and if you're going to use a Mjolnir with conviction, I advise going light on the secondaries.

Abraxas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 08:22:38 AM »

However, as with all energy-damage weaponry it can't compete with dedicated anti-armour or anti-shield weaponry. It also generates a large amount of flux, and if you're going to use a Mjolnir with conviction, I advise going light on the secondaries.

Hmmm, going to have to test some build then.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:33:09 AM »

This is the build I settled on:
Spoiler
[close]

Drop Armored Weapon Mounts and whatever to mount Auxiliary Thrusters if you don't have the Combat skill that boosts turn rate.

With the armor boosting Combat skills the only things you have to worry about are high-alpha weapons and ship death explosions. Mostly ship death explosions. They can do over 9000 damage!

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 07:53:11 PM »

Mjolnirs are top class DPS against basically everything but fighters since you don't have to switch from kinetic to HE; they're also good damage and respectable range with a fire rate that doesn't leave a lot of room to dodge if you set them on alternating fire (which also indirectly helps the strain on your flux.)  If they WEREN'T such flux hogs they'd be the ONLY large ballistic worth talking about.  That said, I've actually had tons of fun with two on Atlas Mk II's.  The ammo feeder helps offset the huge flux while turning them into a rain of thundering death.  You just have to compensate for the load (and make sure you've got the skills and mods to TURN the big lady) and those mjolnirs will devastate everything.  A pair of Hephaestus may be easier on the flux but a pair of Mjolnirs is ALWAYS a major threat.

It just requires a little commitment to making it more practical.