Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nibbling down an orbital station with Gryphon point defense  (Read 1150 times)

sackofsand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Nibbling down an orbital station with Gryphon point defense
« on: March 25, 2020, 10:21:21 PM »

I just had a painful and somewhat interesting encounter with a pirate base and had to share.

Found a midline pirate station with only one gun module and decided to take it on with a Gryphon(controlled by me) and some destroyers and frigates. I accidentally gave an eliminate order on the station which made them suicide run into it and I was left alone. My Gryphon had no missiles left and I already used my ability so all I had was my dual flack with a bunch of LMGs, and the station was still untouched with full armor. I really didn't want to retreat and lose my disabled ships so I tried to fight. I kept circling around the station staying within the blindspot on the side, trying to keep up with its ridiculously fast rotation speed and kept nibbling away at the armor with my PD eventually reaching the hull and it was about 15 or so minutes of constant circling around. I was able to kill the base eventually and managed to recover most of my ships, but I could not continue playing because I was mentally and physically exhausted after the battle. Even though I won, I still feel defeated after all that... maybe I should have just retreated instead.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nibbling down an orbital station with Gryphon point defense
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »

Are you playing without CR? Because after 15min it's not a ship anymore but a husk manned by a literal skeleton crew.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »

Battlestation modules seem to count as a frigate.  If the battlestation has few enough modules, a big enough ship will not tick down PPT.

I have circled stations with starter Apogee and hit blind spots with Mining Blaster.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:16:01 PM »

Sounds like an oversight in PPT. A space station doesn't really quality as a "trivial" threat.

sackofsand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:42 PM »

I was playing with CR, with fleet logistics I had 85% CR to start with and as I remember it never started to tick down since I finished with 85%.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 05:59:36 AM »

Sounds like an oversight in PPT. A space station doesn't really quality as a "trivial" threat.
Incomplete bases are trivial, and they are often easier than named bounties after they scale faster than player can keep up.