Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Someone found a planet with 100 hazard or less outside of the core?  (Read 3137 times)

F.B.I

• Ensign
    • View Profile

without bugs
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:00:44 AM by F.B.I »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Someone found a star with 100 hazard or less outside of the core?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:28:31 AM »

Do you mean a planet? Sure. I've even found a 75% hazard once too.

I play with faction mods, but I don't believe they mess with the map generator.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Someone found a planet with 100 hazard or less outside of the core?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »

The lowest available is 50% with an habitable and mild climate world, however there's always something such as cold/hot/waterworld/gravity/decivilised on it (yes mild and hot/cold, had that happen 2/3 times on tundra and arid).

The system name's on the map is sometimes indicative of a good system, such as "New Cordova" instead of "Sigma Canopis", but as i always play with added planet types and grand sector mod they may come in more often than on the regular map.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:06:19 AM »

If I remember correct, minimal hazard level planet I found was a 50%. Can not be sure, but it is definitely there are planets above 100%.

Here as example:
Spoiler
[close]

P.S. Dude, 9 planets, 3 inhabited. Why didn't I colonize that?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:09:56 AM by Mondaymonkey »
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:43 AM »

Seed:

MN-4556166725167872968

50% Hazard rating (Terran), 3.7 LY "north" of Westernesse (i.e. very close) in the "Gualichu" system
Bountiful Farmland
Moderate Ore
Common Organics
Extensive Ruins

I'm currently at 221% accessibility.

Nothing else of note in the system (two stable points), though the Terran world has a "moon" that has Widespread ruins and a decivilized population, sparse rare ore, and moderate ore (hazard rating of 175%).

Other gem in the  "Svarga" system (~7 LYs, 4 o'clock position from Galatia)
125% Hazard rating (Terran)
High Gravity :(
Ultrarich Rare Ore
Rich Ore
Plentiful Organics
Adequate Farmland
Widespread Ruins

Desert world is in the system (150% hazard rating) but literally no natural resources except scattered ruins and decivilized population. Only one stable point in that system, too.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »

Is it viable to colonise far outside of sector, even if the planets are very good?

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 03:17:12 AM »

Is it viable to colonise far outside of sector, even if the planets are very good?

Depends by how far you mean, If it's in Vanilla the accessibility still works out decently, with Nexerelin and NPC factions colonising it becomes perfectly viable.
However with grand sector it's possible to find negative access, and it goes worse and worse when at war with multiple factions.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 04:18:41 AM »

I play vanilla, would accessibility still get hurt even if I colonize other planets around it? Do they really depend of core sector and its factions?

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 05:03:32 AM »

I play vanilla, would accessibility still get hurt even if I colonize other planets around it? Do they really depend of core sector and its factions?

Not exactly. In vanilla you can colonize, basically anything and anywhere, and make it profitable by building some structures. Low (i.e. "lower") accessibility only makes your industries to export little bit less commodities and that's it. Building your own colonized piece of space far away of the core worlds can theoretically give even higher accessibility, than in a core, as you can colonize all the objects, making higher colony density than core has = higher proximity. More, you can export your commodities to other your colonies, making profits from inner exports, as far as you can create enough demands.

Theoretically, you can satbomb entire core and live on your own elsewhere.

The only thing you should take in consideration - max import/export values. If you build, for example, refining on a same planet the mining, is two things will happen: mining will supply refining, decreasing import demands, leaving room to other commodities to be potentially imported (which is good). On the other hand, that refining will not create demand and will not increase global market value giving you no additional profit from your marketshare of ore/transplutonics. Visa-versa, you can build those on different planets giving more to global markets of ore and transplutonics, but that is mean your planets had to import more, and if combined import\export demand is higher than max import\potential potential (determined by colony size and accessibility), your colonies will start suffer from this.

The other thing, you should remember is that production/demand values are exponential. You can not supply 8 demand from two 4 production planets, you need at least size 8 production to satisfy size 8 demand.

So the answer is "No, your colonies does not necessary depend from core, but if so they have to rely on themselves, which is easy, but not entirely."

I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 07:07:14 AM »

Accessibility also affects population growth.  If I want a big colony, I want a world with low hazard and close to core (if I do not kill everyone).

Trying to juggle and synch growth of a low hazard habitable and a high hazard rock or gas ball due to resource production is a bit of a pain.  One planet (farming and industry) grows to the next size and gains shortages until the slower growing planet (mining) catches up in size.

Theoretically, you can satbomb entire core and live on your own elsewhere.
This is possible.  The following happens.
* Penalties for hostilities may be gone.
* Proximity to colonies is at maximum, or at least no longer influenced by pregen core worlds.
* Income drops to about a tenth compared to what the player could get with all core worlds alive.  (No income from exports.)
* Pirate activity on your systems is effectively permanent.  If you kill the pirate base causing it, it will reappear after about a day.  If possible, it probably is a good idea to be friends with pirates to prevent their raids.

At that point, player who wants more income will need to colonize more worlds to get income from Population.  That means grinding Ordos fleets for more and more alpha cores and colonize more worlds far beyond normal limits.

I sort of like the idea of colonizing the entire sector being the ultimate endgame goal and win condition.  For something this grand, the usual get strong enough to crush full-strength Ordos is early game, killing all of core is the start of the midgame, grinding Ordos for hundreds of cores is the midgame, and the end is when every last world has been colonized and grown to at least size 7, ideally 10.  Given the time needed to do all of this, it is indeed the mad quest.  If I did not have other things to deal with, I would seriously attempt it.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 09:05:27 AM »

I assumed the game sill throw us pirate raids even if we are not enemy with them. So from what I understand as I can start my own colonies in far corners of sector as long as I don't mess with pirates. Otherwise constant babysitting would be very hard because my colonies are far away.

Thanks for explaining.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 09:37:03 AM »

I read from others that being friendly with pirates stops the raids, but not the pirate activity.

Üstad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 10:21:07 AM »

Oh, how do we remove pirate activity then? Is there any vanilla ways or do we need mods to alter it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »

Oh, how do we remove pirate activity then? Is there any vanilla ways or do we need mods to alter it?
Unmodded, you cannot.  Destroying the pirate base that was the source of pirate activity will remove said activity.  However, nothing stops a new pirate base from respawning immediately.  If the pirate base destroyed was part of the minimum quota required in the game (which usually inflicts -3/-%50, not -1/-10%), it will respawn almost immediately and select a new system to torment with pirate activity (then raids).  With no core worlds decivilized, it usually picks a core system.  If all core worlds were destroyed, and your systems are the only ones left, it will target one of your systems.  Pirates are relentless zombies in this release.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:57 PM »

I am not sure about vanilla, but in nexerellin, the pirate activity actually has no direct effect when you are friendly with pirates, even though the event still occurs. I think that additional pirate fleets will still show up and harass trade fleets, but the accessibility and stability penalties are not applied. If you go into the colony screen and check your stability, the debuffs will not appear even though the intel event says they are there. I don't have a vanilla save handy, so i can't check if that also happens in vanilla.