Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: pd weapons shooting non-threats  (Read 537 times)

SomethingOrOther

• Ensign
    • View Profile
pd weapons shooting non-threats
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:44:20 PM »

I noticed that ships are firing PD weapons at missiles/torps that won't hit themselves or friends, wasting flux for no reason. Worse, they often seem to slow down to fire at such non-threats, sometimes exposing themselves to additional damage there was zero reason to take.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: pd weapons shooting non-threats
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »

This is known, but I don't know if this can be 100% called a bug? It's actually a valid tactic, when pursuing an enemy ship, to fire missiles at it just to trigger its point defense. Even if the missiles don't connect, the ship will lose its zero-flux boost (but you won't if you had yours because missiles are generally flux-free!), so there's a tactical exploit that the player can use.

I agree, it's annoying to see on your own side. Maybe you're right, even in the above scenario the missiles are fairly likely to be a threat to the target, as opposed to completely missing. BUT then again, "PD-saturation" is a thing too! As in, there are types of weapons that excel at not necessarily hitting a target, but occupying its point defense so other friendly projectiles can get through - see Decoy Flares. So, while it's an odd thing to see a highly-advanced spaceship do, I think this calls for the [ Gameplay > Realism ] sticker.

If you really want to see such an AI improvement, I'd suggest putting it only in the obvious location: Integrated Point Defense AI, along with the function that lets PD ignore the aforementioned decoy flares.