Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hardware and performance question - Starsector and AMD RX GPU  (Read 2332 times)

dine344

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hello everyone.

My current setup is i5 2500, 8 GBs of RAM, HD 7950. As far as I learned, there is nothing I can do to make Starsector run better on this rig, so I'm planning a hardware update and I have two questions.

Do RX 4xx and RX 5xx GPUs have the same opengl issues in Starsector as older models? Am I safe with something like RX 570 or do I have to go Nvidia to be sure?
Is CPU and GPU pairing important in any way? Let's say Starsector is gonna run fine on intel CPU and newer AMD GPU, but will not run good on Ryzen + RX 5xx?

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hardware and performance question - Starsector and AMD RX GPU
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:48:05 AM »

I have RX 560, and it gets pretty terrible at 300 battle size. Even the fleet/refit screens lag somewhat.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »

The issue is not the video cards themselves, it is that AMD's driver team wears their pants on their heads and in their infinite wisdom. Chose to not really support OpenGL, even though *many* indie games use it, older AA and AAA games, and tons of productivity programs. Interestingly, the Linux driver handles OpenGL much better as Mesa wrote it and they don't *** around. It still isn't Nvidia / Intel levels of good, but it Actually Works while in Windows... It in effect doesn't work. And AMD they have no plans to change this, they are staying the course in fact their Windows driver gets *worse* over time.

Anyways, I would recommend going Nvidia. Even if it wasn't for AMD's OpenGL issues they still make superior video cards and software for them regardless.

Flix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 01:00:12 PM »

I used to run it on an i5 2500k with an r9 390 (about same as a 570) without too many issues at 1080p but it would start to struggle a lot in bigger fights. I upgraded the whole PC last year except the GPU and now run an AMD R7 2700x CPU and the difference is night and day. With the same GPU (r9 390) I'm running it very well at 1440p, same mods and only notice slowdowns in really big fights but nowhere near what it was with the old CPU. The CPU is definitely the most important part in my opinion. A lot of people are saying that Nvidia cards run this game better though so take that into consideration. Maybe others can chime in.
It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose.

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »

I got a beefy system... but it has an amd video card and no matter what i do i drop to 20-30 fps in large battles. i have tinkered so much with my system trying to get it to work i actually had to do a system restore to unfuck it after i nearly bricked it. if you really like the game and want to play it without yer eyes bleeding, you are simply gonna hafta buy a not-amd gfx card. which i, personally, opted to do despite honestly very much NOT being able to afford it XD. game is just that good

card i got coming has 1/4 the specs of my actual card (radeon rx 590), but since my amd card sits at 0-1% usage while the game stutters at 30 fps, even 1/4 the power at 50% usage should be more than 10 times better.

as an aside, a but of advice to anyone out there thinking of buying an amd gfx card; from the bottom of my heart, DON'T.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:33:41 PM by Stormy Fairweather »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

Every few years I risk it and buy an AMD gfx card because its perf/$ is an incredible value.  And it works flawlessly 98% of the time, but that 2% of time where something doesn't work and sucks away my time trying to fix it (usually without ever working), I would gladly have paid $40 more at that instant to not have those problems anymore.  Because of that I now only buy stuff that is most likely to work all the time, even if it costs a bit more or is a bit less performant.

Other people have their own experiences, I've had mine.