Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You will lose a lot of customers if the game stays on OpenGL  (Read 3057 times)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
You will lose a lot of customers if the game stays on OpenGL
« on: February 29, 2020, 05:51:37 AM »

I have a beefy system. I can run things like witcher 3, or even outer worlds, with all settings maxed and enjoy fps around 144. then i load up this game, and drop to 30, THIRTY!, fps in larger battles. GPU utilization hovers between 0-1%, like the game cant/wont use my GPU at all, the only part of my system that even seems to notice starsector is running is ONE of my 12 logical processors (6-core CPU, so that is just one half of one sixth of my actual CPU), where it sits at 100%, presumably handling graphics as well as the actual game. Seemed pretty obvious this was the bottleneck. So i started doing some research, and think i found the problem; AMD CPU (ryzen 5 2600X) and AMD GPU (radeon RX 590) + game running on OpenGL = no bueno. And after extensive testing, and researching, this seems an irreconcilable issue. No combination of settings, tweaks, driver version, or anything else i can do with my hardware will run this game competently.

So basically, I strongly suggest (and i know this is no easy feat) you change the game to directX or vulkan or SOMETHING else, otherwise a large portion of your potential customers will never be able to enjoy the game, and will be left feeling shortchanged. And if you simply cant do this, then i follow this suggestion by having a huge warning on every page/vendor saying this game is outright incompatible with AMD users. According to steam only 15% of their users run AMD instead of nvidia so maybe you folks think that is an acceptable loss... but i invite you to consider the implications of telling 15% of the population they can't use your product. Or even worse, knowingly selling them a product they cant use without even a disclaimer... that is like disappointment squared.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: You will lose a lot of customers if the game stays on OpenGL
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 07:36:12 AM »

Hi - I'm sorry about the trouble! As you surmised, changing over to another graphics API is, for practical purposes, not possible. The game *does* seem to run well on some AMD graphics cards - including, iirc, some of the newer ones - so there's some reason to hope that this is not a permanent state of affairs on the cards where it doesn't. AMD drivers are, sadly, a bit of a mixed bag.

If you happen to have an integrated graphics card on your computer, I'd suggest trying to run the game using that - you'll probably get a better frame rate there. If you'd - understandably - like a refund, please send me an email; fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:27:51 AM »

(Cleaned up and re-opened thread, per Stormy Fairweather's request.)

Stormy Fairweather

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 09:31:39 AM »

thank you sir.

wsdude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »

I have a 3080 and the game either uses 0 gpu usage or close to 0 sometimes.Sometimes it also spikes really high and it stutters with the gpu spike.