Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ability to summon resupply ship  (Read 698 times)

pronoia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ability to summon resupply ship
« on: February 29, 2020, 01:36:34 PM »

I would love to have an ability to summon a resupply fleet, particularly once you're already at 'empire' level with multiple colonies.

So you'd build a waystation, upgrade it to supply port (appropriately expensive so it wouldn't be available early game) and then gain the ability to summon a supply fleet to wherever you. The supply fleet would essentially be the same as the distress call but funded from within your empire but with a timer or other such function to prevent it from being abused.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to summon resupply ship
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 02:21:46 PM »

That's interesting. The ultimate goal I'm presuming is a way for the player to "kickstart" a new colony's stockpiles with supplies, without having to go and collect supplies themselves, but at the cost of additional credits (convenience = expense). Or perhaps for the player to get a whole lot of supplies to an outworld colony if they're running low, and don't want to trek back to the core worlds themselves.

I imagine it implemented as a dialogue option at a station you control, perhaps requiring the "Waystation" industry/structure. You hit "Request supply delivery here" in the dialogue menu, which would have a credit cost associated with it, and a fleet is generated somewhere within the core worlds and travels to the station. Once it arrives, it performs just like a merchant fleet, it hangs around for a bit and unloads a bunch of supplies (maybe some fuel too and other stuff) at the station for you to grab.

I can see a lot of possibilities here for world interactions too, such as pirate fleets being able to intercept this resupply fleet. That said, that would undermine the concept of the "convenience" factor (ie. the player not needing to be involved), so it would require careful thinking about. Also, hehe, imagine if hostile factions could sabotage the supply fleet.

pronoia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 01:33:22 PM »

Exactly. I still like the idea of summoning the resupply fleet to the player fleet though as it kills 2 birds with 1 stone. I hate to admit it but even with capital fleets with ships with 2k storage I have on occasion ran out of supply which shouldn't really be a thing once you have an empire. Essentially using cash to pay for resupply vs a reputation hit with the distress call.

For balance the added cost makes sense as well as essentially its honest traders not using the black market and then charging a commission for the trip. The hotkey could also have like a 30min cooldown. And most importantly, once you've spent the money there is still the possibility that the resupply fleet gets intercepted.

There is always the fear of your resupply fleet being intercepted....but as a pirate the existence of resupply fleets also offers new opportunities.  :D

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 09:06:58 PM »

... The hotkey could also have like a 30min cooldown...

I'd have neither a hotkey nor a cooldown. I wouldn't make it a campaign ability, I would have it as a dialogue option at stations - and maybe Comm Relays, so the player can still potentially take advantage of the the feature when out in the wilderness.