Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] HHE Fighter Expansion - v1.0.1  (Read 12970 times)

Hoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] HHE Fighter Expansion - v1.0.1
« on: February 26, 2020, 02:28:08 PM »

HHE: Fighter Expansion Mod v1.0.1

Download Latest Version Here
Google Drive Mirror

Originally started as a personal mod, but I decided to share it after I made too many sprites and not many content expansion mods based around carriers. There's a ton of faction and other mods with carriers but I decided to make one based around carriers and fighters

Mod Contents
  • +4 New Carriers
  • +16 New Fighters/Interceptors/Bombers
  • +7 New weapons to arm ships with
  • +15 New Fighter weapons
  • +3 Carrier Only Hullmods which increase fighter performance
  • more content to come...

Fighters - Luddic Church - Expand me to see contents!

Cazin Fighter
A really basic fighter for the Luddic Armada. Its a broadsword with less durability but comes in a squad of 4 instead of 3

Special System: Single Flares

Sarissa Barrage Fighter
Have you ever wanted a fighter that literally just spewed out SRM swarmer missiles? The Sarissa launches 6 swarmer missiles every 10 seconds and comes with a Vulcan Runt Cannon

Special System: None

[close]
Fighters - Persean League - Expand me to see contents!

Helot Interceptor (6)
Essentially an upgraded Talon for the carrier-heavy Persean fleets. Helots are incredibly unimpressive overall, but the cheap cost and quick refit rate makes it extremely cost effective.
It comes with 2 autoguns with increased projectile speed making it ideal to hunt small targets.

Bonnethead Heavy Fighter (3)
What happens if you get a Hammerhead, but turn it into the size of a Fighter? Well let me present you with the Bonnethead, a heavy fighter armed with a variety of weapons. It comes with 4x Bonnetguns (which equals to about 80% of 2x LMG DPS), 2x Nugget Missiles (which deals 33% less damage than the standard Vanilla Fighter SRM Swarmer overall) and 1x Low Power PD Laser (same damage as LR PD Laser but extremely short range). The fighter is extremely durable making it a huge upgrade over standard Broadswords.

The weakness? Oh yeah they're extremely slow making them weak against fighter hunting fighters

Special System: Flares

Manta Bomber (3)
I got bored and I made a bomber based around Locust missiles. With each fighter firing 6 locust missiles, the entire squad is essentially a reusable Locust. Unfortunately Locust missiles are extremely unimpressive against larger targets and the bomber starts to get incredible weak against high armor/shield targets.

[close]
Fighters - Tri-Tachyon - Expand me to see contents!

Broadsword Heavy Fighter (High Tech)
I just made a High Tech Broadsword for fun. Loots neat and fits with high tech aesthetics! Otherwise its completely the same

Draugr Phase Interceptor
A phase interceptor purely meant to hunt other fighters or smaller ships. It comes with a pitiful PD Pulser, but 2 Bright Missiles which deals High EMP damage and can knock fighters out!

Special System: Phase Cloak

Vernd Support Fighter
When I first played starsector, I hated how Support Fighters worked and genuinely thought they were useless. Then when I installed the Interstellar Imperium mod, I fell in love with a Support Fighter that to this day I try to use anytime I get the opportunity to! The Vernd was made as a love letter to the Interstellar Imperium Scutum.

On a side note you really should download that mod! Its really really good.

Brokkr Support Fighter
What if we made a fighter, but the fighter is also a carrier? The Brokkr Support fighter is a heavy frontline fighter that can deploy weak PD Drones armed with PD Pulsers. It can deploy upto 3 drones at a time and will constantly remake them whenever the drones gets destroyed. Extremely useful for absolutely overwhelming enemy PD systems while dealing consistent damage. Unfortunately falters hard against heavy kinetic fire.

Special System: Brokkr Drone System - Deploys 3 drones

[close]
Fighters - Tri-Tachyon Restoration Project - Expand me to see contents!

These fighters are essentially Remnant Fighters which were converted for Tri-Tachyon use. They're just what you would expect; Remnant fighters with weaker stats (since remnants crafts are really really good for what they cost in ordnance points). These fighters also require crews as its not a drone fighter anymore.

Spark Interceptor (TT)
A Tri-Tachyon restored Spark Interceptor. Unlike the actual Spark, this one carries a weaker Burst PD Laser along with less speed, shield and hull integrity.

Lux Heavy Fighter (TT)
A Tri-Tachyon restored Lux Heavy Fighter. Unlike the actual Lux, this one is armed with a Pulse Phaser instead of an IR Pulse Laser, less speed, shield and hull integrity. The Pulse Phaser is absolutely useless against fast targets so aim for larger targets!

Flash Strike Bomber (TT)
A Tri-Tachyon restored Flash Strike Drone. Unlike the actual Flash, this one carries 2x Mini Phase Charges. The overall damage of the Mini Phase Charges is almost the same, but the damage it does against shielded targets is much more less due to the explosion range. The ships hull integrity, shield and speed is also lowered.

[close]
Fighters - REDACTED - Expand me to see contents!

Lucent Assault Drone
Imagine a Lux, but instead of shooting IR Pulse Lasers it shoots an Ion Lance at the target which can arc and disable systems incredibly quickly? Well look no further! A fighter primarily designed to be an extreme annoyance to ships when their shields are down, the Lucent can pound enemy ships into submission.

Prism Strike Drone
I didn't like how the Remnant faction didn't have any torpedo bombers in Vanilla, so I made a Remnant Dagger! Each equipped with a Lachesis-class Torpedo, it can deal serious EMP damage to targets.

[close]

Ships - Expand me to see contents!

Sentinel - Midline Fleetcarrier
The Midline Sentinel is a fighter/interceptor only Fleetcarrier. It holds 8 slots and a built in custom devastator making it extremely durable against other carriers. It has 8 fighter bays, but 2 of them are built in with Helot interceptors.

Special System: Reserve Fleet
Instantly replenishes fleet and doubles every single fighter the carrier holds. Limited charges and long cooldown.

Artificer - High Tech Battlecarrier
Ever want a high tech legion? Its literally a high tech legion but with less armor. Fortunately it also comes with very good shields and a PD Drone system which can overwhelm enemy ships and kill off fighters and missiles.

Special System: Tetra PD Drones
10 drones orbit the Artificer and protects the ship or harasses close enemy targets.

Astral - Culann Variant
Its just the now unused Astral model with added features. Functions literally the same except different weapon slots.

Special System: Recall Drive
Its just recall drive.

Gemini (Persean League) - Light Carrier
Its a Gemini with 2  wing slots + 1 Helot slot. There weren't many destroyer carriers I liked in vanilla so I made this. First sprite I ever made!
Why did I make this when the drover exists? I just hate how the drover looks.

Special System: Reserve Wing
Its just reserve wing.

[close]
Weapons - Expand me to see contents!

Sentinel Devastator Cannon (Built In)
A Sentinel Only weapon, the Sentinel Devastator Cannon is a Devastator with a much longer range. Each shell has a much larger explosion range and faster travel time

Heavy Vulcan Cannon (8 OP)
Flaks cool and all, but you know what would be cooler? A medium sized triple barreled Vulcan Cannon with the worst possible accuracy as possible! The gun has extreme recoil and is really inaccurate but the volume of fire is so large you will remove most threats off before they can reach you.

Probably. Hopefully. You know what? Just mix in some Flak guns just incase.

Prickler PD Turret (2 OP)
Did you ever want really *** PD guns with extremely low Ordnance Point costs to just fill up slots? Prickler PD Turret is a very accurate but weak turret which can hopefully deal the finishing blow before the missile reaches your hulls.

IR Autopulse Laser (16 OP)
A triple-barreled IR Pulse Laser mount, the IR Autopulser is exactly what you would expect.

PD Streamer (8 OP)
A burst laser with low ordnance cost, the PD Streamer is a medium sized burst PD laser weapon. It really can't do much except serve as a PD weapon but fortunately for you it does a decent job at it.

PD Pulser (1 OP)
Have you ever wanted an energy weapon which costs dirt cheap and can act as a PD? Oh you didn't want to use that mining laser? Well here is a weapon for you! With a respectable cost of 1 Ordnance Point, the PD Pulser is a very very weak PD laser meant to catch things your other more reliable PD systems couldn't catch!

Pulse Phaser (3 OP)
Its a green IR Pulse laser with 15 less DPS at 3 Ordnance Points.
I originally made this for a fighter only weapon, but hey, enjoy!

Shrieker Missile Pod (3 OP)
I wanted to make a small autoforging missile for long range barrage support. The missiles themselves are absolutely useless, but en masse it could overwhelm PD systems allowing your REAL missiles to deal the finishing blow

[close]

Hullmods - Specialized Fighter Loadouts - Expand me to see contents!

You can only install 1 Specialized Fighter Loadout (SFL) per Carrier and it grants your fighters, interceptors and bombers a variety of buffs.
However due to the buffs the ships have increased refit time as penalty along with less cargo space per flight deck

SFL: Aegis System
A defensive system which makes your fighters more durable
  • Reduces fighter damage taken by 20%
  • Reduces fighter weapon recoil by 20%
  • Increases fighter repair rate by 25%

SFL: Predator System
An offensive system which turns your fighters into ace dogfighters
  • Increases fighter damage against Fighters/Frigates/Destroyers by 20%/15%/10%
  • Increases fighter weapon damage by 10%
  • Increases fighter weapon projectile speed by 25%
  • Increases fighter speed and maneuverability by 25%

SFL: Hammer System
A strike system which enhances your bombers greatly
  • Increases fighter damage by 7.5%
  • Increases fighter missile damage by an additional 7.5%
  • Increases fighter missile health by 25%
  • Increases fighter missile range by 10%
  • Increases fighter missile speed by 10%
  • Increases fighter missile maneuverability by 15%

[close]

Quote from: Planned Content
Upcoming Stuff (hopefully)

Highest Priority
  • Actually figure out how to compile the mod into a jar for faster loading times
Future Content
  • Finish 3+ more Luddic fighters.
  • Finish Luddic capital carrier
  • Finish 2+ more Persean League fighters
  • Finish Persean League frigate and destroyer carrier
  • Finish Tri-Tachyon Destroyer Carrier
  • Finish 2+ Remnant fighters
Quote from: FAQ
FAQ

Does this mod require any other mods to run?
No but I do suggest you guys to download Nexerelin along with other mods to enhance your game experience.

Does this mod work with Nexerelin?
The mod works completely fine with Nexerelin.

What about total conversion mods?
It should work fine but the game wasn't balanced around with total conversions in mind so the ships and weapons might not be balanced.

Can I use the contents of your mod for my mod?
Sure just please credit me!

I'm very open for suggestions and criticism so please don't be afraid to say things!

Quote from: Me
Credits & Special Thanks
  • Me! - Sprites were made purely from redraws and kitbashes (mostly kitbashes!)
  • Tartiflette - Without his Kitbash Database this would've been ALOT harder and this mod would've had alot less content. Please give him thanks!
  • Dark.Revenant - Without his mods alot of my mods would've not been possible.
  • InventorRaccoon - Inspiration!
  • AxleMC131 - Inspiration!
  • Nia Tahl - Inspiration!
  • Vayra - Inspiration!
  • King Alfonzo - Check out his HMI mod!
  • Knight Chase - Check out his Mayasura mod!
  • Everybody in the Minor Questions Thread - Seriously.
  • -

Version History (Current Version v1.0.1)
Expand Me

Quote from: Patch 1.0.1 Changes
Patch 1.0.1 Changes
Cazin
Cazin now has 3 Fighters per squad
Cazin cost reduced to 5000

Bonnethead (Nerf Bat)
Changed Bonnnethead name to Scoophead
Scoophead now costs 16 OP
Scoophead Topspeed Reduced by 15 (now 135)
Scoophead Acceleration Reduced by 75 (now 275)
Scoophead Armor decreased by 25 (now 100 Armor)
Scoophead weapon (Bonnetgun) damage reduced by 20%

Sentinel (Nerf Bat)
New Penalty: All weapon mounts have a 25% Decreased Turret Speed
Deployment FP cost is now 40
Total Ordnance Points reduced by 23 (now 250)
Hull Reduced by 1500 (now 11000 Hull HP)
Armor Reduced by 350 (now 1100 Armor)
Flux Dissipation Reduced by 125 (now 600 Flux Dissipation)
Shield Arc Reduced by 50 Degrees (now 65 Degrees)
Shield Upkeep Reduced by 40% (now 70%)
Topspeed Reduced by 15 (now 35)
Turn Max and Acceleration Reduced by 40%
Removed 1 Medium Weapon Slot

Price Increased by 150,000 (now 600000)
CR to Deploy Increased by 3% (now 15%)
Supplies to recover and maintenance Increased by 5 (now 55)

Built in Helots Reduced to 3 per squad instead of the 6
Reserve Fleet flux cost Increased by 13% (now 66%)
Reserve Fleet charges Reduced by 1 (now 2)
Reserve Fleet cooldown Increased by 60 Seconds (now 150 Seconds)

• Release version
  • Enjoy!
[close]

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:40:04 PM by MrHoon »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] HHE Fighter Expansion - v1.0 Release
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:20:42 PM »

Looks great!

How's the balance vs vanilla?

Hoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »

Looks great!

How's the balance vs vanilla?
In Vanilla the Bonnethead Fighter, Brokkr Support Fighter and Sentinel Fleetcarrier feel slightly overtuned while the Manta Bomber is just on the line between okay and useless. In Vanilla there are no other ships that are like the bonnethead so it feels stronger than it actually is (although it might be personal bias on my part and the bonnethead is just ridiculous). The Brokkr is just plain strong in vanilla due to the lack of strong Kinetic PD systems which would annihilate the Brokkr (guess mods will solve this). The Sentinel feels really strong but the limited weapon slots and arcs makes it more of a moving defensive fortress rather than an attacking spaceship so I feel like it was okay to leave it as is. The manta.... is weird. Despite only lacking 2 locust missiles compared to the actual Locust SRM, the bomber feels like it can't really kill anything other than a damaged frigate. The manta will probably be tuned over until I get it right.

I tried my best to not make redundant weapons/ships/fighters but so far its quite difficult

Edit: Version checker support has been added!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:47:35 AM by MrHoon »

SaiWave

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:09:33 AM »

This looks pretty good so far.

I'm excited about what there is to come!

There's also the fact that we need the decryption key for the actual file...
not really sure if that's just me tho

Hoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »

This looks pretty good so far.

I'm excited about what there is to come!

There's also the fact that we need the decryption key for the actual file...
not really sure if that's just me tho

Mega.nz is being weird on me so I decided to reupload the mod on google drive
Hopefully it works out now

Alright its fixed now, double checked and the file should be linked wth the decryption key!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 09:18:48 AM by MrHoon »

Nia Tahl

• Admiral
  • AI in disguise
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »

I have no words how conceptually broken that reserve fleet system is. The ability to just throw 16 wings worth of fighters is just completely and utterly insane
My mods: Tahlan Shipworks - ScalarTech Solutions - Trailer Moments
It's all in the presentation

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »

Very cool mod. Love the fighter sized hammerhead haha.

Only thing I'll say is that the Bonnethead does share it's name with the Bonnethead cruiser from Torch Ships though as it's a fighter it's really up to you whether too change the name as it's hard to confuse the two.

Hoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 10:26:51 AM »

I have no words how conceptually broken that reserve fleet system is. The ability to just throw 16 wings worth of fighters is just completely and utterly insane
Its pretty silly haha I won't deny that but it does seem to have some limitations from what I've tested so far. Not going to deny how ridiculous it seems and the Sentinel is the only ship I rigorously tested against remnant and modded capital ships (probably shouldn't have done that). However there are some quirks with the ability as fighters created by the Reserve Fleet ability doesn't benefit any character skill/hullmod buffs. I found this out after debugging my hullmods and setting damage reduction to 100% yet the spawned fighters dropped like flies against ships with sufficient PD armaments. Maybe a longer cooldown is required, but 90 seconds is a long time. Perhaps a longer CD?

Very cool mod. Love the fighter sized hammerhead haha.

Only thing I'll say is that the Bonnethead does share it's name with the Bonnethead cruiser from Torch Ships though as it's a fighter it's really up to you whether too change the name as it's hard to confuse the two.

Hmm hearing that is very unfortunate and I'll need to find a new name for that ship. I knew that ship name sounded super familiar and its unfortunate I didn't catch that

Alright I'll change the Bonnethead to the Scoophead next update, seems fair and I cant see any other mods using that name
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:37:04 AM by MrHoon »

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 10:41:38 AM »

Ok very quick mess around with the Sentinel and it seems very OP. Maybe half the fighter bays? The Enhanced Reserve deployment you've gave it is very strong and the ship also has a pretty heavy armament. The Artificer also seems quite strong tho not as OP but I won't get a chance to try it until later.

Also, much as I love the Bonnethead already, it should be in a wing of 2.

The LC broadsword I haven't tested yet but it should probz be in a wing of 3. Even though they're weaker than normal broadswords, having them in a wing of 4 automatically cancels out the Talon wing. Maybe make it a wing of 3 and just make it decently cheap?

Also, some slight CC on the sprites. The Astral could do with more definition around the Large mount, make it look more integrated into the hull. I like to imagine Large turrets have loads of Machinery underneath them so maybe move it a little and bulk out the mount so it looks less slapped onto the surface? If you get me?

And question about the Sentinel sprite but are those big massive windows in the middle of the sprite on either side of the rear hangars?

Other than that seems cool so far, just some balancing suggestions while I had a chance to sit down at my comp.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 10:46:55 AM by BigBeans »

Hoon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »

Also, some slight CC on the sprites. The Astral could do with more definition around the Large mount, make it look more integrated into the hull. I like to imagine Large turrets have loads of Machinery underneath them so maybe move it a little and bulk out the mount so it looks less slapped onto the surface? If you get me?
And question about the Sentinel sprite but are those big massive windows in the middle of the sprite on either side of the rear hangars?
Yeah the Astral mount thing definitely needs a redo, I planned on fixing that astral. To be honest I made that to add a bit more variety but looking back I would like to redo that ship.
Onto the 2nd question are you talking about the 6 squares? They are vertical flightbays meant for the built in helots to fly out of. I probably have to redo the shading to make it look more convincing

Thanks for the feedback, deep down I always knew Sentinel and Bonnethead were going to be a problem but I wanted some more direct opinions
this is the current list of changes I will eventually implement (probably tonight)

Quote from: Patch 1.0.1 Changes
Cazin
Cazin now has 3 Fighters per squad
Cazin cost reduced to 5000

Bonnethead (Nerf Bat)
Changed Bonnnethead name to Scoophead
Scoophead now costs 16 OP
Scoophead Topspeed Reduced by 15 (now 135)
Scoophead Acceleration Reduced by 75 (now 275)
Scoophead Armor decreased by 25 (now 100 Armor)
Scoophead weapon (Bonnetgun) damage reduced by 20%

Sentinel (Nerf Bat)
New Penalty: All weapon mounts have a 25% Decreased Turret Speed
Deployment FP cost is now 40
Total Ordnance Points reduced by 23 (now 250)
Hull Reduced by 1500 (now 11000 Hull HP)
Armor Reduced by 350 (now 1100 Armor)
Flux Dissipation Reduced by 125 (now 600 Flux Dissipation)
Shield Arc Reduced by 50 Degrees (now 65 Degrees)
Shield Upkeep Reduced by 40% (now 70%)
Topspeed Reduced by 15 (now 35)
Turn Max and Acceleration Reduced by 40%
Removed 1 Medium Weapon Slot

Price Increased by 150,000 (now 600000)
CR to Deploy Increased by 3% (now 15%)
Supplies to recover and maintenance Increased by 5 (now 55)

Built in Helots Reduced to 3 per squad instead of the 6
Reserve Fleet flux cost Increased by 13% (now 66%)
Reserve Fleet charges Reduced by 1 (now 2)
Reserve Fleet cooldown Increased by 60 Seconds (now 150 Seconds)

Any opinions on the Brokkr? I genuinely believed people were going to talk about the Brokkr as much as the Bonnethead Scoophead and I would like to know if it requires some tweaks
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:17:03 PM by MrHoon »

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:32 AM »

I'll test some more later or tomorrow when I'm finished work. I'll keep in mind the Brokkr, though I'm more interested in seeing how the Helot does vs Talons and Nails. It's hard too balance 6 Fighter wings I'd say. If they're strong they need to be expensive. If they're weak they need to be as weak as comparable fighter wings.

Also, I'm not sure if Starsector does Vertical Hangars very well so if you can't get them too look right don't worry as IMO the Sentinel has enough Hangar openings already.

And IMO this is good for a first mod. It's all about feedback and improvement. Some mods improve alot. There's a ship pack called Anvil that I really like but when it started some of the Sprites and Ideas were a bit... inspired. I still have nightmares about the *** Tanker.  :'(
And I'm sure even the old guard Modders who are a bit grumpy still remember the days when they started out and were not the best.

So keep at it. Cause Judging from this pack you've got potential  :)

Shadowcam

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] HHE Fighter Expansion - v1.0.1
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 09:34:58 AM »

When i wasn't looking, i ran into a Persian League bounty hunter with nine Sentinels.
Nine Sentinels.
That's as many as three threes.
And that's terrible.

MrFluffster

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 12:23:32 PM »

Very nice sprites for a first time but the balance is a bit off.

Gemini(PL) is essentially a completely superior version of the Drover, which already is a very strong(especially with mods adding wings) ship. 3 bays and Reserve Deployment is strong by itself, even more so on a 13DP destroyer. Even if one of the bays is an inbuilt. And definitely reduce how frequently this ship appears because it feels like every persean fleet I fight is 50% Gemini(PL).

Like other folks have said, Sentinel needs some big nerfs. Reserve Deployment is already an extremly strong system, so I think it's gonna be really hard to make Reserve Fleet not a "delete target ship" button, especially on a ship that already has 8 bays. I think you'd need to at least drop it to 6 bays(keeping 2 of them with inbuilt wings) if you want it to be balanced. Fighter spam is not very fun to fight unfortunately.

Can't say much more as I haven't played enough, but the fighters do feel a little on the strong side, though any judgement of that is hard with how many of them the two offenders mentioned above can output.
Author of Fluff's Ship Pack. Check it out!
Feel free to hit me up on discord @PMMeCuteBugPhotos#0420

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 05:42:00 AM »

So today, I decided to test out your modded ships against the remnant... then I noticed that the remnants only used ships that were deliberately added to their knownShips through their faction files.(Tahlan shipworks, Torchships) They also only used fighters from your mod. Not even a single vanilla fighter. Tested this with only your mod enabled.
The fix for this is to remove all empty "tags":[], entries in the remnant faction file. Empty array[] entries seem to delete everything before it. Other factions looked fine but I think you should fix them too.

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:03:00 AM »

Another bug I've noticed is the spawn rate for the Persean League Gemini is way too high. In every large Persean League Fleet there's usually around 5-8 of them and they almost completely stop other types of destroyer and cruiser sized carrier from spawning.
Pages: [1] 2