Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm nervous about when to start heavy industry  (Read 5438 times)

Prolbo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: I'm nervous about when to start heavy industry
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 02:55:48 AM »

Man, this is deep dark space full of imerialists, fanatic scum, lunatics and just ***. At the very moment when your colony will cease to be miserable, poor and insignificant, starving, experiencing a constant shortage of basic resources, ALL of them turn on you. Local factions whant you and your colonies miserable, poor and, in perfect world, dead. So, dont worry. You can do it at any moment, jsut be shure that your economics can withstand constant assaults from your dear neighbors.

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »

If you've got four orbital works with pristine nanoforges in them there shouldn't be anything that can hurt your colonies, provided that you've actually bothered to put up stations and system patrols - especially system patrols, since their size and quality goes up with the power of your industry.  Best of all is the fact that all your patrols benefit from this and not just the ones coming from that particular planet with the orbital works - even if they're in a different system.

But on that note I should also add that, for defense purposes, stacking all your colonies into a single system is the best strategy, even if better candidates lay elsewhere.  This is so that enemies have to run a gauntlet of your forces rather than just one or two patrols.  I've often come back after month-long journeys to find my home system is completely saturated in enemy wrecks.  I've literally spent weeks of in-game time just cleaning up the debris from their endless failed raiding attempts. 

And on that note I really wish someone would have a "just give up already" game mechanic that tells a faction that after three failed attacks to just stop trying, at least until they can buff their own fleet sizes first or something.

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 02:03:54 AM »

And on that note I really wish someone would have a "just give up already" game mechanic that tells a faction that after three failed attacks to just stop trying, at least until they can buff their own fleet sizes first or something.

I am guessing that you couldn't care less about the rep hits you get from these failed raids then?

Cyber Von Cyberus

• Commander
  • Warcrimes are very profitable...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 03:30:59 AM »

I am guessing that you couldn't care less about the rep hits you get from these failed raids then?
Honestly, not really. It's the same rep hit as if a patrol catches you and scolds you for being a bad boy and using the black market, a couple of Gamma cores and it's all forgiven.
Diktat Admiral:"What do we have here ? A dissident ? A pirate ? Or maybe a degenerate ?"

Me:"Yes, I'm all of those."

Gregorovitch

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »

Honestly, not really. It's the same rep hit as if a patrol catches you and scolds you for being a bad boy and using the black market, a couple of Gamma cores and it's all forgiven.

Well in response to this issue I decided it was high time I had access to some **** off battleships (which I had no blueprints for yet, and why I was freaking out about this rep business) so instead of tugging the forelock to these factions for some measly rep boosts I headed out into the badlands beyond my colony system in search of some tech. I stumbled across a Colossus blueprint first and then a Paragon one. With all my upgraded military bases and orbital heavy industry and pristine nanoforges and whatnot I seem to get an elite Paragon raider for a measly 500k Cr.

That appears to fit the description of a **** off battleship to me, I've just ordered a second one in fact, so I'm feeling even less inclined to tug the forelock at this point, more inclined to inquire who wants some.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 12:52:16 PM »

Well in response to this issue I decided it was high time I had access to some **** off battleships (which I had no blueprints for yet, and why I was freaking out about this rep business) so instead of tugging the forelock to these factions for some measly rep boosts I headed out into the badlands beyond my colony system in search of some tech. I stumbled across a Colossus blueprint first and then a Paragon one. With all my upgraded military bases and orbital heavy industry and pristine nanoforges and whatnot I seem to get an elite Paragon raider for a measly 500k Cr.

That appears to fit the description of a **** off battleship to me, I've just ordered a second one in fact, so I'm feeling even less inclined to tug the forelock at this point, more inclined to inquire who wants some.
When I had the Valkyrie blueprints, I pretty much stealth raided the heavy industries of almost each faction after a few trips to derelict stations to make sure I don't miss anything. I decivilize those colonies once the blueprints run dry, so their expeditions are severely weakened.
Pages: 1 [2]