Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can I make the Apogee AI more aggressive?  (Read 2141 times)

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Can I make the Apogee AI more aggressive?
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:18:35 AM »

The ai does fine with high intensity laser and T lance but with the plasma it always seems afraid to fire it even though it has more then enough flux to handle it. 

Maybe need a reckless officer?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:08:21 AM by DDwarrirofire »

Sidestrafe2462

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Can I make the Apogee AI more aggressive?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 07:31:01 AM »

If you were already using an aggressive officer, sure, try the the reckless one.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 07:55:44 AM »

I was trying reckless officer on apogee once. Aggressive, but suicidal. It is your choice, tho'.
I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 08:22:51 AM »

Apogee is objectively slow, aggressiveness isn't the only thing to consider - faster enemies can simply kite it.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 08:29:52 AM »

The ai well does fine with high intensity laser and T lance but with the plasma it always seems afraid to fire it even though it has more then enough flux to handle it. 

That comes from Plasma Cannon having the strike tag, fixed next version.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:08:45 AM »

How curious, I don't have that problem on steady officers or officerless Apogees. Mine fire away continuously. I've placed the plasma cannon alone on the weapon group. Try that and see if that helps you.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:01:36 AM »

Apogee is objectively slow, aggressiveness isn't the only thing to consider - faster enemies can simply kite it.

speed isn't the issue.  It'll literally be in the enemies face and rather shield is up,  down or in even overloaded and it "might" shoot a single salvo.  The tactical, missiles, etc take care of the little guys.  When your fleet is in a firefight and a ship isn't firing it's most important weapon that it can fire all day, aggressiveness is very much an issue.

I was trying reckless officer on apogee once. Aggressive, but suicidal. It is your choice, tho'.
I'll give it a shoot.  I have the command skill so if I can just get it shooting that'll be enough.

How curious, I don't have that problem on steady officers or officerless Apogees. Mine fire away continuously. I've placed the plasma cannon alone on the weapon group. Try that and see if that helps you.
  it's in it's own group but I'll try resetting it manually,  maybe put it on auto fire too.  Think I had something similar happen with Ai in other games.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:05:16 AM by DDwarrirofire »

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 10:06:40 AM »

The ai well does fine with high intensity laser and T lance but with the plasma it always seems afraid to fire it even though it has more then enough flux to handle it. 

That comes from Plasma Cannon having the strike tag, fixed next version.

While I now have some potential work arounds, if they don't work, now I know.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 01:19:53 PM »

Can you change the strike tag in the weapons.csv file or is it set somewhere else?

IonDragonX

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »

Out of curiosity, have you tried removing the missiles? I've had some behavior change by removing those. I slap a ton of hull mods on the thing anyway, so it was pretty good for me.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

Out of curiosity, have you tried removing the missiles? I've had some behavior change by removing those. I slap a ton of hull mods on the thing anyway, so it was pretty good for me.

I haven't, but did get much better results when I put one of my reckless pilots in it. 

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 06:20:38 AM »

Having the weapon group all to itself didn't work? I am baffled that your plasma cannon apogee aren't firing.  Maybe post a pic or write down the config. It is possible that it is simply out of range but you don't notice that it is.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 09:34:07 AM »

Having the weapon group all to itself didn't work? I am baffled that your plasma cannon apogee aren't firing.  Maybe post a pic or write down the config. It is possible that it is simply out of range but you don't notice that it is.

The Plasma Cannon Apogee used to be my flagship so I know range wasn't an issue.  I'm talking the length of gun was often longer then space between ships.  I also notice AI ignores weapon groups.  See my Onslaught firing it's plasma cannons 1 at a time despite the controls actually being on the same group and linked.

But then the AI pilots in this game do have a tendency to do weird things.  Thank god for Reckless personalities.  Actually isn't there a mod that changes pilot personalities?  A little odd that I have to scour the galaxy for someone to subconsciously do what I'm trying to order them to do.

TimeDiver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »

See my Onslaught firing it's plasma cannons 1 at a time despite the controls actually being on the same group and linked.
Nitpick: Onslaughts can't mount Plasma Cannons (no Large Energy mounts, unless modded by you).

Those are its two built-in Thermal Pulse Cannons (presumably a more primitive form of plasma cannon).

But yeah; unless you have a buttload of flux capacitors, the AI won't bother firing them simultaneously.

DDwarrirofire

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 07:25:16 AM »

See my Onslaught firing it's plasma cannons 1 at a time despite the controls actually being on the same group and linked.
Nitpick: Onslaughts can't mount Plasma Cannons (no Large Energy mounts, unless modded by you).

Those are its two built-in Thermal Pulse Cannons (presumably a more primitive form of plasma cannon).

But yeah; unless you have a buttload of flux capacitors, the AI won't bother firing them simultaneously.

Thanks for correction.  AI has been pretty smart with them so far.  I've read new players have trouble with the onslaught flux stats so splitting the tpc helps
Pages: [1] 2