Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: mesospheric combat  (Read 1148 times)

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
mesospheric combat
« on: February 21, 2020, 12:30:35 AM »

instead of always having to square-up against your enemies in the cold dead of space, starting a fight against another fleet while either is in orbit of a planetary-system should initiate combat in the upper strata of that planet, with a panoramic view of the topography below. imagine defending a Hegemony orbital-station above a lush jungle planet from approaching raiders, with a birds-eye view of the jungle trees & bright blue river & ocean-bodies underneath oneself as you wage battle. or perhaps you want to knock-out a Tri-Tachyon colony, and duke it out against the defenders of said colony, with a lovely view of the gridwork of city lights on the planet's surface.

i think a feature like this would add a lot more atmosphere to the game  8)
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: mesospheric combat
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 05:10:33 AM »

The amount of work required to make high resolution backgrounds for every use case (every planet type, with or without a star lighting it, with or without citylights etc) would be prohibitive though.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 06:26:01 AM »

Fighting in the upper strata of a planet? That's probably a BIT too close for anyone's comfort. However there's nothing wrong with having a visible planet or star in the background. Don't corona hazard battles have something like that? Do asteroid field battles have anything like it? I don't think I ever really checked.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »

If you fight near a planet, that planet is in the background is it not?

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 07:00:17 AM »

I think you'd haveto change up a few things, cause if you're that close then the fleet is probably in range of heavy batteries so tehy can actually do something

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 08:29:59 AM »

Not to mention planetary shield.  Ships that hit that probably should vaporize (like in Stern's Berzerk).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 09:22:55 AM »

Hi, and welcome to the forum :)

Aside from the amount of work, the main issue is that if you have a busy background, it's much harder to see what's going on. For example, the game does show planets in the background when you're fighting near them, but they're somewhat small and even so, it excludes certain ones (stars, lava planets) because they're too bright to comfortably make out weapons fire and so on. To put another way, the combat visuals are set up with the expectation of a mostly-dark background.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »

Btw if you want to try some low altitude combat, install the Scy Nation mod and play the main menu missions. A few of them have planetary backgrounds, but indeed it comes at a cost for readability.