Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Some Thoughts  (Read 1086 times)

TheSAguy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Some Thoughts
« on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »

So I'm new to this great game and am having a wonderful time.

I've been playing about a month now. Thanks to Fractal for this great game and to the Modders for making it even better.
I’ve always been a big fan of Space Ranger
This takes that one step further  :D

So in playing there are a few things that I really miss. This has probably been mentioned a lot elsewhere...

• The game needs Graphs!
    I’d like to see faction strength, number of colonies/ships, power rankings over time, etc. Unless I’m totally missing it, I don’t see this anywhere.

• A map overlay to show who owns what star system. This will be a little more treaky, since there can be multiple factions in a system, but I believe someone ‘owns’ the system, so they will get the color.

• A way to add notes on the map. I’d like to add notes to remember to go back to certain start to explore stuff I left there.

• I’d like to see a little more colony development, with more upgrade options.

• I see the devs mentioned wanting to make ground combat a little more interesting. I wonder if doing what Space Rangers did is a little too much? A full RTS.

Anyways,
Great game!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Some Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 11:17:09 AM »

Welcome to the forum! Glad you are having a good time. A map overlay for faction control would be useful: I will sometimes take a Hegemony commission and settle in one of their systems, but I usually avoid mixed systems in case the 'true' owner is someone else who will launch a genocide mission. Knowing for sure that one is Hegemony controlled would be nice.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »

The game needs Graphs!
I’d like to see faction strength, number of colonies/ships, power rankings over time, etc. Unless I’m totally missing it, I don’t see this anywhere.
There aren't any and I don't think there will be any. Faction strength doesn't change, power ranking is a kinda binary at the moment (you either defeat your enemy with a single fleet, or you don't, with expeditions being this sent only after your colonies, which most likely have defences, so these cancel out). Colonies are important enough that you should know them well enough, rendering graphs redundant. Number of ships could work, but it also doesn't, because it's far more important what ship it is, rather than how many you've got.
Charts are useful for processing a lot of data quickly, but Starsector doesn't really put any pressure on you to do so, everything is static.

A map overlay to show who owns what star system. This will be a little more treaky, since there can be multiple factions in a system, but I believe someone ‘owns’ the system, so they will get the color.
Game already determines the system ownership. System owner is the owner of the biggest military colony in that system; if there are none, then just the biggest colony. It could be useful for Nexerelin.

I see the devs mentioned wanting to make ground combat a little more interesting. I wonder if doing what Space Rangers did is a little too much? A full RTS.
You can read about it here. Alex simply decided that if he can't make a fun minigame, he won't make a minigame at all.

TheSAguy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:47:51 PM »

The game needs Graphs!
There aren't any and I don't think there will be any. Faction strength doesn't change, power ranking is a kinda binary at the moment (you either defeat your enemy with a single fleet, or you don't, with expeditions being this sent only after your colonies, which most likely have defences, so these cancel out). Colonies are important enough that you should know them well enough, rendering graphs redundant. Number of ships could work, but it also doesn't, because it's far more important what ship it is, rather than how many you've got.
Charts are useful for processing a lot of data quickly, but Starsector doesn't really put any pressure on you to do so, everything is static.

Well, it's a lot different when you play with Nexerelin. And once you Nexerelin....
I don't see how one can play the game without Nexerelin  ;D

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 04:07:45 PM »

The game needs Graphs!
    I’d like to see faction strength, number of colonies/ships, power rankings over time, etc. [/li][/list]
    I don't see the purpose of this.

The other suggestions I would like to see as well, though I am rather wary of a full RTS aspect. Ignoring that you can't take over colonies anyways. For example, Empire at War has a full blown RTS aspect to it and it quite frankly wasn't that interesting except for the stealth aspects. Same with Space Rangers; their ground battles were utterly dull. It seems that making an interesting RTS is really hard.

Mondaymonkey

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »

Knowing for sure that one is Hegemony controlled would be nice.

Colony establishing screen gives you a text warning, who claim the system. Not sure if it works properly. I guess, it should.
     Some sceenshot
    [close]

I’ve always been a big fan of Space Ranger

Same thing. Still SS is not SR. Not even close, please don't compare them. Just don't.

SR is mostly text questing and turn-based fights vs "bad guys" you had to defeat to win. In SS there are no text quests,  it is you, who choose whom are those "bad guys" you want to fight in real-time battles, sometimes it is everyone, and you can not "win" a SS.

I see the devs mentioned wanting to make ground combat a little more interesting. I wonder if doing what Space Rangers did is a little too much? A full RTS.

Please, be merciful to Alex. Request to add a game-in-game while main game is too far from finishing, is a little bit cruel.
    I dislike human beings... or I just do not know how to cook them well.

sogriffin

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:55 AM »

I'm with you, I would love to be able to add notes on the map.